Off the air for awhile

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
My lovely wife, Barb will be doing the grilling for a while. I'll help with the posts but that's about it.
Tuesday I had a hernia I was scheduling to get fixed go nuclear on me which included a ambulance ride to the ER. Never in my whole life have I had pain like that. They gave enough morphine and other pain killers to numb up a horse...Nothing worked.

They got a doctor from another hospital and he did the surgery as all the ones at the hospital where I was at were working with other people.
So after they untied my intestine and fixed the hernia my bladder said I quit from all the meds I had to have a catheter put in, what fun that was.
Spent 48 hours in the hospital and finally at home. The bladder is coming back on line so the catheter was removed before I left thank God.

So I can't drive or lift anything over two pounds for about six weeks and not be on my feet for more than 10 minuets at a time, the Doctor said will see how it is then. can't wait.

Wow Rich! Hope all goes well with the recovery.
I do remember catheters, not fondly, after my prostate surgery.
On the plus side, full time cooking could not be in better hands.

Holy Cow!!! Sorry that you've had such a rough week! Glad that you're fixed up and hope that you have a quick and complete recovery!! And Bob is right, you're in great hands with Barb manning the grills in the meantime!

Glad you're patched up and back home. You're in very capable hands and will be well fed, no doubt!

Well that sucks. Glad you made it and are on the mend. Take real good care of yourself. Wish you all the best. & Barb, too.

A friend of the family's mother called us one night to pray for her 35 year-old son. I could here him hollering in the background in pain over the phone. Come to find out, he had a bad hernia, and needed surgery. After that incident, I understand the ordeal one might go through with such a condition.

Hope you heal fast, Rich.

Hang in there Rich. Sounds rough, thankfully you have someone to grill for you.

Well that sucks. Glad you made it and are on the mend. Take real good care of yourself. Wish you all the best. & Barb, too.

I actually passed out in the ER from the pain. Funny part if there is a funny part when I came out of surgery I didn't have any pain and haven't taken any pain medicine at all, nothing for pain since I got out of surgery.

Good God Rich what a way to start a month. Stick with the Doctors orders, do as Barb says and most of all get back to normal as quick as possible. We're all pulling for you Rich. Please keep us informed of your progress.

Bill

Holy wow! I absolutely know that pain! Hate that you had to go through it, but extra glad you got it fixed!
The first time mine got twisted, I was in Winston Salem, about an hour and a half from here, 2 hours in Friday rush hour. I started feeling nauseous, then started cramping in my belly. I started driving back. Thank the Lord for an automatic transmission! Not sure if I could have clutched my way all the way back! Heck, even got pulled over for a random safety inspection by a state trooper! :mad:
Finally made it back home and picked Pammi up. We went to the urgent care that's about a mile from our house.
I got checked in really quickly and was back in a room within 5 minutes. The PA asked a few questions and pressed on my belly.
It hurt so much, I almost hit him! Almost, that is!
He said that I was to head to the nearest ER. He did give me a shot of finnegrin to help with the nausea.
Pammi took me to the big one uptown. They knew I was coming, so I went back pretty quickly. I got a shot of dilauted and some zanax for anxiety. I now know that I get hilarious on this combo of drugs! :cool:They then raised my feet in the bed I was on, so they were higher than my head. Old trick, they said.
Sure enough, after about 20 minutes, everything relaxed and were able to push things back where they belonged! They said if things didn't happen like that, I'd have to have emergency surgery that night! Not good.
We got out of there about midnight.
It happened again the week before I was to see the surgeon about getting it fixed. That ER doc told us how to fix it ourselves, but if it didn't "recover", to head to the ER right away.
I think it got twisted 3 more times before my surgery. No fun at all!!
This was my second hernia surgery in under 2 years. Hasn't come back in 18 months, so I think this one took!
Prayers that this one sticks, Rich!

I have one piece of advice I used to give my soldiers: slow = fast.

Go slow and you won’t have any issues — Barb will have you back in business sooner vs later.

Rush this and you’ll be back on your @$$ and have to redeaux all this and it’ll end up taking longer.

Take it easy, heal, and plan a big party once the Doc says he’s sure all is well.

Cheers my friend!

Glad your feeling better after all that pain Rich.

Nothing makes us think about our bodies health till something like this happens.
Take care and get better soon- there's grillin' to be done :)

Jeff

My advice is to keep a notebook nearby & note the dosage & time you take your meds, and then switch to medical mj after 12 days or so - 35mg seems to last ~18 hours instead of 4, and worked better on pain for me. I kept the prescribed meds nearby in case of emergency.

I yakked pretty violently last spring out in the desert- I was afraid something might not be right.......I wonder how I could check to see if I have a hernia. I'm due for a physical but I'm not excited to go in.

I'm going to wait 11 days before I post a funny video. After 12 days, the initial trauma seems to wear off, swelling goes down, and recovery/progress becomes evident.

Take care!

Thank you all for the kind and encouraging words. It's been one rough week, but with the help of my wonderful wife Barb who is now known as nurse Barb and my friends & neighbors who have stepped up to help us out because I'm pretty useless with being only able to lift two pounds max and only stand for 10 minuets every hour for the next 4 weeks.
Plus the encouragement from my forum friends.
I'm doing okay, still haven't needed to take any pain medicine.
Thanks again everyone!

Thank you all for the kind and encouraging words. It's been one rough week, but with the help of my wonderful wife Barb who is now known as nurse Barb and my friends & neighbors who have stepped up to help us out because I'm pretty useless with being only able to lift two pounds max and only stand for 10 minuets every hour for the next 4 weeks.
Plus the encouragement from my forum friends.
I'm doing okay, still haven't needed to take any pain medicine.
Thanks again everyone!

that's good news.

:)

Weird Al Yankovic - Living with a hernia (parody of Living in America)
https://youtu.be/X8Ow1nlafOg

Back