Genesis Silver Pickup

SteveR

TVWBB Member
Hey guys, I’m new to the forum and wanted opinions on this Genesis Silver that I’m picking up today for 50 dollars off CL. To me it looks like it needs a good cleaning and new grates/flavorizer bars. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

bhj9ea.jpg

1t62h0.jpg

2ufufso.jpg

2zj9r34.jpg

2cg21xz.jpg

23a5g7.jpg

It looks great to me. The frame looks solid. If it was me I would replace the grates but I would use the flavorizors for a while yet. They look solid from what i can see and the rust doesn't matter on those. You generally just replace flavorizors once they start disintegrating/get holes in them.

Great deal for 50 bucks!

I'd double check that frame rust on the left hand side of the cook box. This is where the cook box bolts to the frame, and it is a very common place for bad rust to form. That frame looks pretty rusty to me, but I'd want to have a look in person. You can fix it, but then that grill isn't $50 anymore.

Good luck!

Tim

It was going to be a keeper, Im going to avoid it because of the rust. Hopefully I can find another deal on craigslist.

Agree with the others. Rust could be an issue, depends on how bad it is and how handy you are with tools.

Thanks for the help guys, I’m impatient and ended up picking up a Silver C that was rust free. Already Ordered grates, burners and flavorizers. It’s also missing the swing up table but that’s not a major concern for me. I’ll throw up some pictures tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Good find, Steve!

What can one do about the rusted warming rack and swinging basket? I just scored one similar to yours, and everything looks pretty good except for the rack and basket.

James, yea I’m pretty excited about it, my first Weber. The grill I’m replacing is a 100 dollar POS. How do you like your silver C?

James, yea I’m pretty excited about it, my first Weber. The grill I’m replacing is a 100 dollar POS. How do you like your silver C?

Very well so far, although I only have two cooks under my belt (burgers & steak). The burgers charred (grill marks) very well, and, while they didn't have the taste of charcoal fired, they had a very good flavor. Truthfully, they tasted like a burger prepared by a superior mom & pop restaurant. The steaks turned out well, too, with good charring on both sides.

Tomorrow, I'll be grilling marinated chops and chicken wings the day after that.

I might prepare some wood chips and place them in a foil pouch for smoke.

EDIT: One thing about the burgers, they had a filling effect. Even my wife couldn't finish all of hers, as she commented about the same effect. Ordinarily, charcoal fired burgers, while good, leave me feeling somewhat wanting more (I only eat one bun due to diabetes concerns), but the gas fired burgers were entirely different. Strange, I know.

Last edited:
I second the rust on the cross bar left of the firebox. Looks like this crossbar needs to be replaced. Plus the firebox looks warped pretty bad. I have not seen one bent out that that far. The grates barely hold in the center. For me this is a donor grill for parts like the hood, bottom shelf and maybe right side frame. You can try to haggle the seller down on price if you like the green hood. The colored hoods are rarer than the black ones.

I second the rust on the cross bar left of the firebox. Looks like this crossbar needs to be replaced. Plus the firebox looks warped pretty bad. I have not seen one bent out that that far. The grates barely hold in the center. For me this is a donor grill for parts like the hood, bottom shelf and maybe right side frame. You can try to haggle the seller down on price if you like the green hood. The colored hoods are rarer than the black ones.

Thank you, I’m glad I didn’t buy it. James those burgers look delicious. I’ll post pics of the silver c I grabbed shortly.

Once you get the rusted part fixed or replaced, an application of automotive cleaner wax will go a long way to protecting from future rust. I've actually stopped rust in its tracks on automotive paint using cleaner waxes.

Can you use cleaner wax close to the fire box or will that burn off?

I use it on kettles, painted surfaces, and I also applied it to the blue porcelain top of my Silver C gas grill. I wouldn't use it on aluminum firebox though.

As for burning off, I can't say if it does, or doesn't, but car waxes are designed to endure high heat (such as the horizontal surfaces of dark colored cars in full sun). I haven't had any problems to speak of yet, and I don't think you will either.

Back