Three Burner Gas Usage

Rusty James

TVWBB Emerald Member
How many hours can one expect from a 20 lb propane tank with a three burner Weber (2000 Genesis Silver) grill?

I've been comparing the flame differences with my old Sunbeam two burner grill with my new Weber three burner, and, while the Weber has an extra burner tube, the flames seem much cleaner, and are not that high compared to the old Sunbeam.

Taking a wild guess, I think I could get at least two dozen cooks with the Sunbeam on the same tank full.

On the Genesis 310 I use for Brisket cooks, I usually have one burner on 1/2 throttle going for ~20 hours, it eats up 3/4 of a tank or so.

If you've got all burners on high then I'd think you probably are in the 6-8 hour range for a full tank.

Actually there is a mathematical way to figure it. Assume a full tank with about 17lbs LP, find the number of BTU per pound and extrapolate that from the BTU rating of the grill itself and you can get a really close estimate of how long it will go at full throttle

Actually there is a mathematical way to figure it. Assume a full tank with about 17lbs LP, find the number of BTU per pound and extrapolate that from the BTU rating of the grill itself and you can get a really close estimate of how long it will go at full throttle

That's a really good idea, despite being an engineer by trade I hadn't thought of that before! So assuming 21,548 BTU/lb of propane, 17lbs of gas, and a typical 36,000 BTU grill, it should run for at least 10 hours. Longer than I would have thought!

The used natural gas models sell at reduced prices on Craigslist, around here, compared to their LP brethren. I could have had one already, but I didn't want to do the connection considering I roll my grill around a lot.

Do these units offer quick connection (like an air hose)?

The used natural gas models sell at reduced prices on Craigslist, around here, compared to their LP brethren. I could have had one already, but I didn't want to do the connection considering I roll my grill around a lot.

Do these units offer quick connection (like an air hose)?

You can easily get 10' to 12' hoses and yes they're quick connect like an air hose. Don't try air hose fittings though. They require high pressure to form the seal whereas the gas connectors lock and seal with little to no pressure

I have a 10' hose on my NG grill and it is no problem at all. Quick connect as well, with a local shutoff valve outside which I double check I turned off easily 15 to 20 times after each cook :)

I guess I'll have to rethink natural gas then. If I find another unit at the right price, I may go for it.

According to the sticker on my LP grill, my unit puts out 46,000 BTU per hour.

I guess one could close off one of the three burners to conserve fuel?

Last edited:
Rusty I have a 1000 I am on 5 months with a tank still have plenty left. But its to your usage we generally don't use ours more than once a week if that. I think you would need to check with a plumber who is certified to install the gas line. In another thread they were going to charge $800 bucks to install it which my estimate at what I refill a tank is that will 57 tanks refilled using my Ace. Of course that does not include what you burned for nat gas but I am in Atlanta we are deregulated I just did a 2 year contract in April with Scana paying .41 a therm I would bet you in MA which I used to live its probably more like a buck a therm.

That BTU sounds high for a 3-burner Genesis. Is it including a side burner maybe?

Here's the label.

Looks like the side burner is rated 10,000 BTU?

6-3-18%20029.jpg

I seldom go full throttle except for warmup, and I plan to run full throttle before shutdown to carbonize grease on the cooking grates. I got the idea from Sunbeam. Is that suitable for Weber as well?

Nice one! Looks like a 3000. I prefer those over the Silvers because of the deeper fireboxes...more room for rotisserie roasting.

Looks like a good buy. But some of the slats on the bottom rack are missing and it also looks like there might be something screwy with the cooking grates. The grate on the right seems larger than the one on the left.

Looks like a good buy. But some of the slats on the bottom rack are missing and it also looks like there might be something screwy with the cooking grates. The grate on the right seems larger than the one on the left.

Good eye.

It also looks like the grates have possibly been sawed off on the ends too.

Back