1993 Genesis 1000 Redhead

CMDixon

Hello all!

I was given a 1993 Genesis 1000 Redhead that is in pretty darn good condition. very little rust anywhere, just needs some TLC, new flavorizer bars and grates, and some fresh paint to loook like new. Also, I will need to source the brackets for the side table. It came with the flip-up table but the side table was missing.

I have to say, though, before seeing the refurb jobs done on this forum I wasn't exactly excited about what I was gifted, but thanks to you all I am now overly excited to get this done and put the grill back to use.

I have started the tear down of the grill for cleaning and painting. It's gone relatively smoothly getting the hood apart. I'm stuck in one spot. I can't get the gas control knobs off the posts so I can can remove the panel and continue the tear down. It is my understanding that the knobs just just pull off vertically.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Any advice on how to get them off?

Thank you!

They do just pull off, I would apply patience and gentle tugging straight up. They will come off eventually.

By the way, if you fully tear down, don't remove the bolts that hold the manifold on, and don't remove the screws that hold the burners in place.

The reasons: The manifold bolts are probably fine, and you'll end up doing more harm than good taking them out. The burner screws have shoulders, they are just to keep the burner tubes physically in the right place, they are more than likely to break if you try to remove them.

Good luck!

Tim

The Z brackets for the shelves can be pulled from another grill or ordered from RCplanebuyer. RC's ones are made with stainless steel so they'll last. I as well as other members on this board have his contact info if you want to go that route.

By the way, if you fully tear down, don't remove the bolts that hold the manifold on, and don't remove the screws that hold the burners in place.

Tim

I second this. The bolts for the manifold should be SS and should be fine. Sometimes they come loose and sometimes they don't but no reason to remove them if they are stuck. And the bolts on the left side of the burners are just for guidance. The burners should slide out easily underneath once you have removed the manifold.

If you want to remove the firebox you need to remove the bolt on the left side that sits in the center of that cross connection. This has a nut on the inside of the firebox which is normally rusted beyond recognition. I don't bother anymore trying to loosen that nut. I just cut the the nut of with a grinder and then I unscrew the bolt from the outside. Replace the bolt with a new stainless steel one.

I can vouch for stainless bolts. In fact, if you're going "all out" I'd replace every possible bolt you can with stainless. I fully disassembled my grill today to paint the frame, and the bolt on the left hand side of the cookbox I had replaced with stainless about 3 years ago. It came right out and looks like it did when I put it in. MUCH different than the bolts that were in there before!

Thank you everyone!

I finally was able to get the knobs off. I had to reach under the panel and pull down on the manifold while pulling up on the knobs to get them off.

Where would I get new SS nuts and bolts for this project. The ones on the hood are bolts with a flat, flush round head that fits into the void with the "Star" etching that's supposed to hold itself in place. Where would I get those?

Again, thank you!

I was able to find everything for my 1000 (stainless bolts, nuts, and screws) at Westlake Ave hardware.

Jon I use Imgur no problems you have to use the bbcode when you copy is the tinypic easier to use? Not that I think Imgur is after you use it a few times.

Jon I use Imgur no problems you have to use the bbcode when you copy is the tinypic easier to use? Not that I think Imgur is after you use it a few times.

Brian,
I guess I am not really sure. After you upload the pictures, choosing the size you want, it gives you a variety of types you can copy and paste to your thread. I don’t know if this is the bbcode you mean, but it isn’t really very hard. Tinypic bombs you with ads (nothing is really free), but based on the little time I spent on Imgur it looks like they do as well. They are probably very similar.

I need to get the burners out so i can remove, clean up and paint the firebox. I know that a couple of you said not to remove those bolts holding the manifold on but i don't see any way around it.

Anyone have any suggestions on getting the screws holding the manifold bracket to the firebox free and out? I soaked them pretty good but realized i was starting to bend the "paddle" head of the screw rather than turning the screw.

I cut them off. Since most of them are so rusted out I cut the head off inside the firebox with an angle grinder and punch the stem out. After all is done I replace them with new SS bolts. Again I am talking about the bolts holding the manifold. I am not touching the bolts that are on the left side of the burners. These I don’t try to remove.

Last edited:
I need to get the burners out so i can remove, clean up and paint the firebox. I know that a couple of you said not to remove those bolts holding the manifold on but i don't see any way around it.

Anyone have any suggestions on getting the screws holding the manifold bracket to the firebox free and out? I soaked them pretty good but realized i was starting to bend the "paddle" head of the screw rather than turning the screw.

Are you talking about the wingnuts cause those are stainless steel as is the bolt in them. If I remember correctly as mine were pretty hard to get off. I put a ratchet on the inside of the manifold bolt then on the outside gently and very gently don't hit the firebox I persuaded the wingnuts with a small hammer to get that to start turning. I had to bend my manifold bracket up a bit to get those off as mine did not have the bracket so they had bent over the years from the former owner pushing the knobs down for the gas.

The other thing you can try if you have a Benzomatic torch is to hit the wingnuts with them then try with the ratchet and tapping the wingnuts on the outside. A lot of times the heat will work may take some paint of the manifold bracket but you could always touch that up.

Once you get the wingnuts off you should be able to back out the bolts they are threaded hitting those with heat in the inside of the firebox would be no big deal.

I think the early ones are threaded on to the firebox. The screw heads are on the outside of the firebox and there are no nuts on the inside.

Do you have a MAPP-gas torch?

J, mine was a 96 so it had a threaded bolt going thru the firebox and wingnuts on the outside. Did not know other versions they came that way. Would be way easier I think to convert them to the wingnuts when they get them off.

I had to take mine apart this weekend to do some maintenance boy the anti-seize is truly everybody's friend they all came out easily including the bolt on the left side that holds the firebox in. Need to re-spray my lid sides so hopefully those come out easily also.

Back