Q Rescue project - grates?

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
Hey, Weber Q gurus!

I scored a Q1000 for the low, low price of FREE! It's about a year old, was used last summer, then left forgotten since (and it shows.....) It lights up fine, though the burners need a cleaning, but the grates are toast.

Anything I need to know about buying replacement grates? Stick with Weber, or are there "after market" grates I should explore? I'm new to the Q, so not sure if there are non-Weber options/improvements out there.

I'll get some pics up eventually, and will probably have another question or 12..... :)

Thanks!

R

Whoops!!! One should never believe a CL ad.....right? What I have is a Q200.....same question applies, though.

While we're here, any personal preferences on the one piece vs two piece grates? I can see that it could be fun to use half for a griddle, then again, maybe go whole griddle?

Possibilities, possiblities..... :)

I really can't see how the grates would be toast. Clean off the rust, oil and use. Always keep the grates clean and oiled. Mine is a 2005 or 2006 model and my grates look near new.

Here's what the original grate looks like:

41827931964_000d02b02d_k.jpg

Assuming that I have minimal power tools, how would you attack this thing? I've resurrected rusty cast iron pans, but this thing looks like it needs some pretty severe treatment to be usable again? I'm totally open to saving it....

FWIW, I'm close the SF, but no salt air where I live (Redwood City.) This is just pure neglect. Judging by the state of the rest of the grill, the previous owner used it, never did ANYTHING to clean it, and left it exposed to the elements. Straight up Weber abuse!

R

I just finished one(a 200) with grates like that. Took a ball peen hammer and used the peen end to lightly chip off the loose rust, did it to both sides. When I got it somewhat looking “better”, I then seasoned the grate on both sides a few times. Also before seasoning, I scrapped about 4” of chunks out of the bottom, paperclipped the burner holes and fired it up to season the grates. Doesn’t look new! But for free, with the cover and fold-up stand it turned out pretty fair looking and it fires up with the portable propane tanks as well as the 20# tank. Think I might list it on craigslist for$30....

Look for someone in your area that dies media blasting. That will clean it right up, not too expensive and leave you with a pristine surface ready for seasoning

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll take a run at making the grate serviceable again before I plunk down $ on new ones.

R

Here is what I am doing with the ones on that Q320 I got from Bruce. The grates I don't think were ever brushed clean their entire life though the insides of the grill were pretty decent oddly enough. It looked like they occasionally cleaned it out. SO I tried everything I could think of including a small el cheapo sandblasting gun that I (you guessed it) put regular old sand in. Even that would not touch the carbon buildup. I tried a cup brush on die grinder no bueno. So I was trying a concrete chisel/punch and a hammer and the light bulb went off (another bright idea from bulb head :D)
I got my BAD A$$ Snap On air chisel out. (this is not the whimpy ones they sell from China in the dept stores with a Snap On name) this is an Honest to God Snap On I bought back in my mechanic days in late 60's. I think when I bought that thing in 1969 it set me back like $250!
I put a regular chisel on it, turned the power down a lot (I think full power would shatter the cast iron) and started having at it

On the right is the grate I pretty much finished I think some heavy wire brushing, heating and oiling will do the trick there on the left in first photo is untouched. By the last photo you see about 20 minutes of work with the SnapOn I didn't do any touch up on the left grate with the brush yet. Had to stop because I gotta get the ribs on the grill for tonight's supper LOL and take a shower to get all that carbon off me

dRZ1pD4.jpg

Z7GhZW9.jpg

ycalY2c.jpg

Anyway I think they will be very serviceable once I am done. Can't wait to get that Q tried out either

Last edited:
Man, those are looking good, LM!! Will see what I can get done with mine.....I'm hoping it's mostly carbon-based stuff. :)

R

TO be sure mine have some rust but once I started hitting it with that bad boy SnapOn nothing stands a chance :D I think another 20 to 30 minutes on them, than I'll give the body and burners a good thorough cleaning, and light it up. I'll most likely give them a good coat of oil prior to heating and let that just bake right in to the pores. Once good and hot I'll do it again and than turn it off letting it cool down with the oil coating. Put it through one more cycle and I should be golden. I reckon keeping them seasoned and also that this will be a garage queen not exposed to heavy elements I should get another few years out of them. Now whether or not I am here to enjoy them is up to a higher power

Yep, knock off all you can then soak in vinegar. May take days but it will clean up. Whatever you do, please wear a mask and eye protection.

I don't wear a mask, I cannot deal with it. I do use safety goggles though. Many years ago while a mechanic I caught a piece of steel in my eye doing an exhaust system. Don't want that again. not pleasant seeing that tool coming at your eye so they can dig it out

That rust dust or for that matter, any dust can really mess up yer lungs. A bit of discomfort is well worth healthy lungs. Wood dust can make you sick.

Yeah I realize it but thanks to being an ex smoker and asbestos not to mention office equipment toner the old lungs are pretty much "toast" already :(

LM that air chisel is a classic! That thing looks like a museum piece, just goes to show that if you take care of your stuff, it will take care of you. That was a helluva investment back in the day, glad to see it still works as good as new.

Oh yeah I used the hell outta that thing when I was in the business. The place I worked at did not have lifts. Back in the day those electric 2 post lifts did not exist so the only way a lift would work is there had to be space under it for the hydraulic posts. Well I worked in a 6 story building in downtown Chicago. The only place there were lifts was on the 1st floor where the lube guys were. The rest of us did EVERYTHING flat on our backs including "heavy" work, engines transmissions, differentials and so on. It was NO picnic let me tell ya. Some of the guys used acetylene torches to cut off exhaust systems but damn those hot embers landing on your neck or face were hard to take. You knew the guys who did it too. They all had permanent black burn marks all over their faces and necks. Looked like giant blackheads but it was burned spots. Me? I used the heck outta that chisel

IMO, those grates are on their last leg. Too much CI rusted away.
You should be able to get an identical replacement for about $70. Amazon or Home Depot. I think Ace Hardware has them as well. I have heard that those stainless grates are too thin, but I have no personal experience with them myself.

Back