Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Picked up a couple of Kettles

Thanks, everyone.

Dan, I use the following items to clean a grill's enamel surface:

0000 stainless steel
    a razor blade
    Fantastik scrubbing bubbles degreaser spray bottle

For the cooking grate, I use a stainless steel scrubbing sponge
    2004 Genesis Gold C, Q200, 1999 Performer; 2009 22" 2008 18" , Copper Premium 22" Projects: 1992 Genesis 2, 2002 Genesis Gold C

TVWBB Super Fan
    These kettles can be found cheap in our area. I bought my first one about 10 years ago for $15. Was a simple one with the three vents at the bottom. But I hardly every used because of the gasser I have. Now a few weeks ago found one with the ash collector. Paid $10. It came with Weber cover, a Weber chimney starter a full bag of briquettes and a bottle of lighter. Couldn't resist. Now trying to get back into charcoal grilling.
    Genesis Gold C, Performer, 22" Kettle, 18" WSM and always several old gassers under restoration.

TVWBB Emerald Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    Raspberries at you Stefan!
    If I could find one for forty bucks within forty miles I’d be doing that trip right now! People up here either feel they are worth way more than they are or simply keep them. Regional differences in pricing continue to amaze me!
    Are you planning a trip this direction anytime soon?
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB Pro
    J you really did a nice job on those next time I do a cleanup going to try that Fantastik scrubbing bubbles degreaser spray bottle.

Kettle Pizza'd the copper:

2004 Genesis Gold C, Q200, 1999 Performer; 2009 22" 2008 18" , Copper Premium 22" Projects: 1992 Genesis 2, 2002 Genesis Gold C

Quote Originally Posted by JKim in MA View Post
    Thanks, everyone.

Dan, I use the following items to clean a grill's enamel surface:

0000 stainless steel
    a razor blade
    Fantastik scrubbing bubbles degreaser spray bottle

For the cooking grate, I use a stainless steel scrubbing sponge
    Just to make sure I understand, 0000 Stainless Steel does not harm the finish or scratches the enameled surfaces of WSM. I am looking for something to clean some built gunk on the bottom bowl of by 22" WSM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris S in YEG View Post
    Just to make sure I understand, 0000 Stainless Steel does not harm the finish or scratches the enameled surfaces of WSM. I am looking for something to clean some built gunk on the bottom bowl of by 22" WSM.
    hopefully this should answer your question: http://virtualwebergasgrill.com/2014...th-steel-wool/

Quote Originally Posted by JKim in MA View Post
    hopefully this should answer your question: http://virtualwebergasgrill.com/2014...th-steel-wool/
    Thanks that helps a lot. Can I use Simple Green or Purple Power on the interior to get the thick gunk off the charcoal bowl portion of the WSM? In the article is reads cleaning the exterior. I know some chemicals will leave a funky smell on food when residue is heated.

TVWBB Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris S in YEG View Post
    Thanks that helps a lot. Can I use Simple Green or Purple Power on the interior to get the thick gunk off the charcoal bowl portion of the WSM? In the article is reads cleaning the exterior. I know some chemicals will leave a funky smell on food when residue is heated.
    Chris you can use the simple green inside the kettle to clean it we use it for the gassers also. Spray it on work the razor blade get what you want off then rinse it out. I am sure if J used the scrubbing bubbles it would be fine I might try that the next time maybe it works better.

I should mention that the scrubbing bubbles degreaser happened to be what I have at the house. I didn't choose it because it had extraordinary cleaning capabilities.

And yes, I definitely rinsed with bowl with lots of water afterwards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12