Anyone ever made pulled pork on a gasser.

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Due to stage II fire restrictions we can't use charcoal here. Of course this happens a few days before I was going to smoke a pork butt for pulled pork.
I was wondering if any of my forum friends have done a PB on a gasser and how it turned out? The 10 pound beast is to big for a slow cooker and it's 98 degrees here so I really don't want the oven on.
Any and all advice greatly appreciated.

Don't see why it wouldn't work. ..... say a foil packet of chips, a big drip pan & foil it when it hits the stall? Cook at 300*?

However, I've never cooked one on a gasser.

Good luck, Rich. The smoke is the key. 12 to 14 hours of propane is a whole nother issue! ��

I have done it, brisket, ribs even smoked fish on a gasser (both with EW and NS burners). The direction of the burners does NOT matter. However the bigger the grill the better it works. You may find you have the use the Texas crutch. A smoke period in the grill than a foil wrap to finish it either in your oven or the grill. While not a smoker per se' it will do a great job and you'll have delicious results.

The former owner of my grill placed wood chips on cooking surface to smoke a butt with. I would more than likely wrap my chips in foil for smoke (with slits in the top). I've seen this done on cooking shows.

Not sure if the former owner used a drip pan. This grill has east and west burners (3).

00u0u_k3naaQFB78A_600x450.jpg

Long as you have North to South burners, sure you can. Just put the butt on the side not lit and a smoker box over the hot burners. That's gonna suck up some propane, your bottle better be full before you start that cook or you maybe finishing in the oven

Six racks of ribs on a gasser

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?70290-Six-Baby-Backs-on-the-Weber-Spirit

My biggest complaint on a gas grill was always having to change out the tank and worrying if I have enough gas, etc. When I bought my grill I have now, I bought a natural gas grill and just ran a pipe up to the bottom of my deck. Endless fuel supply! (Provided I remember to pay the gas bill every month, haha!)

My biggest complaint on a gas grill was always having to change out the tank and worrying if I have enough gas, etc. When I bought my grill I have now, I bought a natural gas grill and just ran a pipe up to the bottom of my deck. Endless fuel supply! (Provided I remember to pay the gas bill every month, haha!)

Yep the grill that will be doing the smoking is an E320 ng, So no worries about a tank going dry:cool:

For what it's worth, I made a V out of two layers of aluminum foil, today, and I filled it with hickory chips. I closed it up as best I could, and I placed the V next to the first flavorizer bar with a burner under it. It smoked in short order, and it stinked good. Several hours later, it still stinks good, lol.

6-22-18%20024.jpg

When I do a long smoke like that I make several foil packets like this and stage them. As one dies down I simply lift the grate a little pull one out and put another. On a Genesis or a Summit it's pretty easy. Another thing I'll do is many times when doing a smoke I don't need the entire grill filled with grates and simply remove one where I want to place smoke pouches.

I've done them on my son-in-law's gasser. I used an A-Maze-N tube smoker instead of the foil pack. I'd never really had much luck with them in the past.

BD

When I do a long smoke like that I make several foil packets like this and stage them. As one dies down I simply lift the grate a little pull one out and put another. On a Genesis or a Summit it's pretty easy. Another thing I'll do is many times when doing a smoke I don't need the entire grill filled with grates and simply remove one where I want to place smoke pouches.

That's exactly what I'm going to do, just have one grate centered. I'll use large chunks for the smoke placing them on the FBs that are above the lit burner. I've had great results doing that.
I won't be doing a real L&S because I'll be running 275-300. Been doing that for quite awhile and really can't tell any difference with PBs and brisket compared to 225-250.

Rich, I can't help you on your gasser problem as I don't own any gas grills & never will. Funny though, were in Stage 3 in the county, stage 2 in the forest & were are still allowed to use charcoal at our homes with a safe grilling area. They are even still selling charcoal in the supermarkets. But telling people to be real careful with it. Personally in your back yard would anyone really know what you are burning? I doubt it. Have fun.

Rich, I can't help you on your gasser problem as I don't own any gas grills & never will. Funny though, were in Stage 3 in the county, stage 2 in the forest & were are still allowed to use charcoal at our homes with a safe grilling area. They are even still selling charcoal in the supermarkets. But telling people to be real careful with it. Personally in your back yard would anyone really know what you are burning? I doubt it. Have fun.

Hey Russ
I guess it various by whos running the show as to what the different stages are. We have state lands, federal lands, state and federal forests and various city agency's.
The city of Prescott which is right next to us has no open flame and no smoking outside. Here in Prescott Valley there is no restrictions on smoking outside. Yes all the stores are still selling charcoal here too.
The reason that I won't take the chance of using charcoal is Murphy is my best friend, if you know what I mean.:rolleyes:
I know their getting very serious about it as they have portable electric signs along all the major roads telling people that the restrictions are in place.
Also they have forest service trucks and the fire departments cruising the neighborhoods looking for violators.

You could adapt this to fit your gasser, I changed it to fit the insta pot instead of oven and have enjoyed the results each time (3x or more)

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?72...exican-Pulled-Pork-(Carnitas)-quot-recipe-mod

If you haven't got a smoke tube yet now may be the time.............

I was looking at that Mexican Pulled Pork for my next one. I have the 20lb book The Complete America's Test Kitchen TV Show Cookbook 2001-2018 and it's in there, sounds like it would be really good.
For smoke I just place a couple of large chunks on the FBs

Funny the company doesn't even have a distributor in IL, But it looks just like the Holland or Phoenix grill

Bill, does the wood catch fire in the tube? It looks like it might.

depends on where you put it and the fuel you use. Works better than foil packets, and much safer too IMHO (watched a step-grandpa die from/during Alzheimers, so Aluminum is something I pay extra attention to). These smoke tubes (or mazes, or square tubes, or circular) are perfect for gas grills....with chips or pellets.

Back