First Jeeps, Now Snuff

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Weber continues to amaze with the breadth of its Smokey Mountain (sometimes Smoky Mountain) product line...

CAO3mpr.jpg

BTW, change of subject. Does anyone remember snuff? My grandma used Levi Garrett snuff. She was forever spitting into an empty peanut tin, or when out in public into a garbage can or into the bushes. Nasty stuff! I remember her telling me the story of how she tried it for the first time in 8th grade at school and she passed out! But was hooked on the stuff for the rest of her life.

It's called smokeless tobacco nowadays, and is still pretty popular AFAIK.
No tobacco in your Smokey Mountain though. :)
So, how long did granny live?

My great grandmother did according to my mother. When my mother was a kid she thought old ladies just had brown spit.

All my buddies started "dipping" back in the late 70's for whatever reason. I tried it once. Took me over 5 minutes to spit all that, uh, stuff out of my mouth!
And my best friend made the mistake of kissing his girlfriend when he had a lip full of it! I helped him up after she decked him!!! :D

Actual snuff is different than dip. It's more of a powder intended originally to sniff (I think?) but people dipped it. As far as I know they still make it.

It's called smokeless tobacco nowadays, and is still pretty popular AFAIK.
No tobacco in your Smokey Mountain though. :)
So, how long did granny live?

My recollection of this as a kid goes back to the 1960s and 1970s, and it seemed like snuff (powdered tobacco) was really "old school" compared to chewing tobacco. Back in those days, she could walk into many drug stores and find it on the shelf next to all the other tobacco products. Fast forward to 2000, I remember having to mail order some Levi Garrett snuff for my grandma, it was really hard to find at that time. Her family was from Arkansas and was so poor...I wonder if powdered snuff was lower quality and more affordable than chewing tobacco or loose tobacco that one rolled into cigarettes.

To your question, Bob, she died in 2003 at the age of 84. It wasn't the snuff that got her, it was Alzheimer's. RIP.

My cousin worked at a Native American smoke house back in the 90s in Oklahoma. It was basically a convenience store that could sell tobacco tax free. They has that and a bunch of cigarette brands that no one smoked anymore even then. It was kind of fascinating. So it was around as of then. Cigarette brands like Old Golds, Chesterfields, Herbert Tarrytons, etc.

an old gf used to sniff that - I did a double-take the first time I saw that!

I smoked many years, chewed just a few times, even got old nicotine leaves in a pouch to chew one time. Doesn't matter the form that nicotine is used in, it's bad for the cardiovascular system.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snuff_(tobacco)

Growing up in yap, folks chewed beetle nut including myself, just not as much. But the old timers had this super strong black pitch rope tobacco that they would add for some extra zip. Anyway, I tried a nip once and I thought I was going to die. Horrendous stuff.

Never tried snuff or any of the other similar stuff. I smoked, but quite almost 40 years ago.
When I worked at the hobby shop after I retired a guy would come in all the time chewing that crap and spitting into and old coke bottle that was half full of brown spit...disgusting.

I used snuff a lot during my first tour in Germany in the 70s. I smoke cigarettes and a pipe, but never cared for dip/chaw or cigars though. I quit all tobacco on March 5, 1990.

Snuff and dip are two different things, Snuff you just take a little pinch out of tin and your sniffing it up your nose.

That "Smokey Mountain" name fits well in these parts. :p

Heck, you can see 'em on a clear day.

One old timer said the mist in the morning air was made by the rabbits cooking breakfast.

Back