Anyone here ever use a “Kudu”?

Timothy F. Lewis

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
My sister sent me a “bon appetit” article extolling the virtues of them which also contained some erroneous Weber concepts but, that’s a side issue.
I can see a few things which might be fun to do with it but, for the $500 price tag I can’t justify it. But, as one of our erudite members here states in his signe, and I paraphrase here:
Many guns in the cabinet and they all have their purpose.
Just curious if anyone has used one?

This reminds me that I'm really digging my Santa Maria Kettle attachment :). I have a feeling I would not be coordinated enough to manage those multiple layers but kudos to those who have and can successfully use it.

I considered buying one. It has a lot of nice features and is portable.
I doubt that it would work that well in windy situations.
Would have to be attended as long as there were live coals or figure out a way to cover/snuff them at the end of a cook.
It isn't exactly chump change & I'm thinking there are shipping costs, too.

One could probably buy a small Santa Maria locally for less.

Interesting, but I have enough trouble managing stationary grates. Don't think that's for me.

It's a bit spendy too! I could buy 2 OTG for a lot less and still do as much cooking.
Sorry chef, I'll pass!

Well, I think we are all on the same page with this one!
Sorry about the pun, I’ll go stand in the corner.

Edit:
Anne, is it “Bray” or “Bry”?
Afrikaans is not always an easy one for me to understand let alone most “tribal” languages.

Also, I agree whole heartedly about the application in pretty much any kind of wind. Scary.
This is not a good candidate for our friends in Arizona these days!
I’d spend the $220 for the Santa Maria attachment and buy some fabulous steaks and roasts and chicken with the rest of the funds!

What about the dripping grease underfoot when you spin the things out? Stepping on the goo and fat or worse yet, have a few drips go right on top of your foot!? I can swear enough without that added hazard.

Last edited:
It looks well made, similar to a cowboy grill for a few hundo more.
I guess it would be worth it if you used it all the time, but in my backyard I would break it out for parties, weekends.
Camping, picnics. fishing trips would also be cool, but ya have to ask yourself is it something I need or can I do without it?

Tim

I want one of these and will get one in the next year or so. It’s essentially elevated and portable camp fire cooking with the ability to adjust how high or low you want your food from the embers. I’d use it over grass to catch the dripping if you swing out the grate. I also like the idea of using it for Dutch oven cooking and paella over a tripod stand. They sell a 18 inch lid that goes on top of the cooking grate to catch rising heat which can later be used to snuff out the coals on the base.

Bob, you’re right, though like hanging foods in my WSM22 and Roti on my 22 kettle I’m always looking for new ways to cook. Open fire is what I want to try next and it’s portable. One day a Santa Maria too.

Seems pretty pricey to me, I still say.i don’t think I need that particular weapon in my arsenal. I’d rather put the money into more briskets!

With the winds and drought we have here I would be voted idiot of the year if I was caught using that.

Back