Hello and question on Genesis Platinum

Bernd

Hello from Germany,

this is my first posting and i hope you experts will have the right idea for me.
While i am not a native speaker, please apologize my english.

After some restoration on a Gold C, Silver B, 1000, and Silver A, i found a Genesis Platinum C in a good condition. This is my current project.
However, the frame construction is somehow broken. All 4 couplers (found this word on leo.org!) are loose and so there is no straigt horizontal line.

bysRCsCl.jpg
[/IMG]

The previous owner tried to repair it on the left side with small holes, srews, and nuts. It did not work and resulted in still hanging wings

AZTfEG3l.jpg

What kind of repair do you suggest?

With greetings from Germany,

Bernd.

Bernd,

That is too bad, because these are really nice grills. I wonder if a sheet metal shop could help you by re-welding these parts. Here in the US we have something called JB Weld which MIGHT work as a home-made remedy. I hope you are able to fix and enjoy this somewhat rare grill. It was only made for two years. I wish they used this stainless construction on the grills that Weber makes now!

Take the short piece of square tube on the left up to Home Depot and find the largest size piece of square tube that will fit inside of it. You need the fit to be very tight. Might have to add in a piece of flat stock as well kind of as a shim. For example, if that is 1 1/4" tube, try sliding a piece of 1 inch tube into it and see how tight it is. Then grab a piece of flat stock and cram it in as well. When you get a tight fit, you'd only need to use about 4 - 6 inches of material. What you are creating is a splice.

Dave, no such animal as Home Depot in Germany LOL. Though they do have some other stores that look remarkably like HD right down to mimicking the color designs and logos

I would look for a metal workshop and see if they have an option to weld these back in. The problem with repair and bolts is, that they did not line up the frame very well before the drilled the holes. Unless there is a little play and one can line up the frame after loosening the bolts and the tighten them again.
Oder auf Deutsch: Ein Schlosser suchen, der Edelstahl schweissen kann und fragen ob die die Klammern wieder einschweissen koennen. Bei dem Provisorium mit den Schrauben wurde wohl nicht gerade darauf geachtet, dass der Rahmen gerade ist. Das zu richten ist schwierig. Es sei denn in den Schrauben ist etwas Spiel und man kann es ins Lot bringen wenn die Schrauben gelockert werden und danach wieder anziehen.

Gruss in die alte Heimat.

Back