N00b - No Probes Detected

There are several long legs or bits of solder in the pit probe area that I can't quite tell if they are shorting or not in the pic. I would clean up that solder and trim back any long leads you have on the board that can bend and short out.

Did you try the probe in any other probe jack?

I once had a love/hate relationship with Maverick probes that eventually turned into a hate/hate relationship, I wont use them any more. Various models have various quirks, and I seem to kill them off constantly with just a little exposure to water. I've moved on the Thermoworks probes and find them to work better and be more reliable.

I can't remember the quirks by model number on the mavericks but you might need to back the plug out of the jack a tiny bit for it to work, or you might need to ground out the braid on the probe lead, those were two issues I had personally with Maverick probes...

Last edited:
My son and I got this as a fun project and had a blast soldering.

I can honestly say that I have never had anything remotely close to "A Blast" when attempting to solder something. You guys must be way better at it than me.

There are several long legs or bits of solder in the pit probe area that I can't quite tell if they are shorting or not in the pic. I would clean up that solder and trim back any long leads you have on the board that can bend and short out.

Did you try the probe in any other probe jack?

I once had a love/hate relationship with Maverick probes that eventually turned into a hate/hate relationship, I wont use them any more. Various models have various quirks, and I seem to kill them off constantly with just a little exposure to water. I've moved on the Thermoworks probes and find them to work better and be more reliable.

I can't remember the quirks by model number on the mavericks but you might need to back the plug out of the jack a tiny bit for it to work, or you might need to ground out the braid on the probe lead, those were two issues I had personally with Maverick probes...

BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!! Pulled the probe connector out a click and they all work. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!! Now I am gonna cook!!!!

I can honestly say that I have never had anything remotely close to "A Blast" when attempting to solder something. You guys must be way better at it than me.

Not great at it...just good father son time! :) It also let him apply skills he learned in his STEM class.

Too right! That's sort of how this project started, like 30 years ago with my Dad and I soldering up circuits from his vintage electronics magazines. About 10 years ago I decided to learn about how all the parts worked and needed a project, and that's where HeaterMeter got started. Looking forward to the awesome all-new HeaterMeter design your kid is going to come up with in 20 years :-D

Back