Thread: N00b - No Probes Detected

N00b - No Probes Detected

My son and I got this as a fun project and had a blast soldering. Now sure what the problem is with the probes. Testing with a Maverick ET-732. Pictures here:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WPsVnX50QWTcTHAv2

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

TVWBB Emerald Member
    There are several long legs or bits of solder in the pit probe area that I can't quite tell if they are shorting or not in the pic. I would clean up that solder and trim back any long leads you have on the board that can bend and short out.

Did you try the probe in any other probe jack?

I once had a love/hate relationship with Maverick probes that eventually turned into a hate/hate relationship, I wont use them any more. Various models have various quirks, and I seem to kill them off constantly with just a little exposure to water. I've moved on the Thermoworks probes and find them to work better and be more reliable.

I can't remember the quirks by model number on the mavericks but you might need to back the plug out of the jack a tiny bit for it to work, or you might need to ground out the braid on the probe lead, those were two issues I had personally with Maverick probes...
    Last edited by RalphTrimble; 06-02-2018 at 10:15 AM.
    I created the Roto Damper, RD3, HMv4.2 sliding back case, "air-burner" and the "ping-pong" valve in my quest for delicious "set and forget" BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by DCalland View Post
    My son and I got this as a fun project and had a blast soldering.
    I can honestly say that I have never had anything remotely close to "A Blast" when attempting to solder something. You guys must be way better at it than me.
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) 18WSM 14WSM 26 OTG 22 OTG 18 OTG JJ Q1200 Gas & Charcoal Go Anywhere, Vortex, Kettle Pizza, Smoke

Quote Originally Posted by RalphTrimble View Post
    There are several long legs or bits of solder in the pit probe area that I can't quite tell if they are shorting or not in the pic. I would clean up that solder and trim back any long leads you have on the board that can bend and short out.

Did you try the probe in any other probe jack?

I once had a love/hate relationship with Maverick probes that eventually turned into a hate/hate relationship, I wont use them any more. Various models have various quirks, and I seem to kill them off constantly with just a little exposure to water. I've moved on the Thermoworks probes and find them to work better and be more reliable.

I can't remember the quirks by model number on the mavericks but you might need to back the plug out of the jack a tiny bit for it to work, or you might need to ground out the braid on the probe lead, those were two issues I had personally with Maverick probes...
    BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!! Pulled the probe connector out a click and they all work. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!! Now I am gonna cook!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pat G View Post
    I can honestly say that I have never had anything remotely close to "A Blast" when attempting to solder something. You guys must be way better at it than me.
    Not great at it...just good father son time! It also let him apply skills he learned in his STEM class.

TVWBB Emerald Member
    Glad you got it going, enjoy your first cook!
    I created the Roto Damper, RD3, HMv4.2 sliding back case, "air-burner" and the "ping-pong" valve in my quest for delicious "set and forget" BBQ.

TVWBB Platinum Member Bryan Mayland's Avatar
    Too right! That's sort of how this project started, like 30 years ago with my Dad and I soldering up circuits from his vintage electronics magazines. About 10 years ago I decided to learn about how all the parts worked and needed a project, and that's where HeaterMeter got started. Looking forward to the awesome all-new HeaterMeter design your kid is going to come up with in 20 years :-D
    I'm that HeaterMeter guy what ruins everybody's free time.