New Charcoal?

Rusty James

TVWBB Emerald Member
Has anyone seen this blend before?

One of the area Walmarts started carrying it for about $8.00, so I gave it a try, and it works pretty good for grilling and smoking with less ash content.

Oddly enough, I cannot find the barcode online (016800315756), and Royal Oak doesn't even list it on their web site. At first, I thought Royal Oak just changed the color of the briquette bags from red to brown, but that is not the case. I really like this stuff so far.

oRcOejWFFL16xaaMsfQJ7dGBSTpih9fFu_K2i2K-HMk

EDIT: Oops, lost the photo.

Last edited:
What size are the bags Rusty?
I poked around, might be what they called Ultra 100, that apparently was only available online.
If the briqs are large in size it could be their Chef's Select re-bagged.

I poked around, might be what they called Ultra 100, that apparently was only available online.
That's was I was thinking. I like Chef's Select, and it would be nice to have it available in something smaller than the 40-pound bag.

It's a 16 pound bag, Bob.

The briquettes are not very large. They look very similar to the coals in the red bag.

At first, I thought they were Chef's Select, but I guess not unless Royal Oak changed the coal size and renamed the product for the big box stores.

Searched again this morning, found a link to RO's Facebook, looked through some posts and found this reply from RO:
"Hi Terry - This is our brand new, All Natural briquets. These are smaller versions of our Chef Select, as they are made for both competition and the backyard."

Hope a local WM has it soon, I'm anxious to try it.

Searched again this morning, found a link to RO's Facebook, looked through some posts and found this reply from RO:
"Hi Terry - This is our brand new, All Natural briquets. These are smaller versions of our Chef Select, as they are made for both competition and the backyard."

Hope a local WM has it soon, I'm anxious to try it.

Good for you, Bob!

I called Royal Oak several times since I first saw these coals weeks ago, but all I could get was a transfer to voice mail, and no return call - yet.

I am impressed with them (briquettes). They work great for direct and indirect grilling / smoking.

Picked up a bag of the RO today, they had several.
Weber 20# was $14.88, or 74 cents per lb, compared to 50 cents for the RO.
Stubb's at Lowe's is 71 cents when not on sale.

I plan to burn a little of the new RO later today, stay tuned...........

Looking forward to your opinion of it Bob, you always give a non biased report.
Although with the charcoal ban it may be awhile before I get to try it if it's good.

Lowes has this for $5.99/bag:

MQDkekf.jpg

Gave it a try last night. Takes forever to light. MM start: not a lot of white smoke, but takes quite a while to get to TBS.
Nice smell. Produces less ash than KBB or Stubb's.

I used it in my Caliente grill and it made good heat. 400* for long enough to do a tri tip. Raised the charcoal to just touching the grilling grate and it seared the meat nicely.
However, it took forever to grill some fresh corn.

I'm thinking it would work very well in a WSM. Not too sure about grilling with it.

Will use it a few more times before I make a final decision.

Last edited:
Bumping an old thread, but has anyone seen this bag of charcoal anymore? Local Walmarts used to sell it, but not of late.

Was able to get it in PA over the summer and into the, fall, but not right now with the the garden center being filled with Christmas stuff. I really like this stuff!

Back