Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RP 3b+ HeaterMeter boot woes

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
    My takeaway from this is that computer folks never RTFM until they absolutely have to!
    Really? And the manual that explains this is where? Or did you just have an irresistible urge to post a cheap shot?

No cheap shots. I'm a computer guy who does the same thing

I quoted the manual ( wiki ) in my first reply.

TVWBB Super Fan
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_M View Post
    My takeaway from this is that computer folks never RTFM until they absolutely have to!
    Steve, that's pretty much untrue in my case. There's a reason I still have almost 2' of shelf space dedicated to HP-UX documentation, in spite of the fact that I can probably recite most of it verbatim (25+ years.) I've thoroughly irritated project managers when I told them to add 3 days for documentation review. "There's no time for that." "This project ain't happenin' without it."

Paul has a point. All too many times these days, the snapshots are simply little more than development in progress. Bryan's really appear to be more than QA ready. The difference also isn't necessarily evident, even from the release notes. You have to know and trust the people behind the project to be able to use the snapshots effectively.

It's Friday. Lighten up, gang!

Quote Originally Posted by JKalchik View Post
    ... Paul has a point. All too many times these days, the snapshots are simply little more than development in progress. Bryan's really appear to be more than QA ready. The difference also isn't necessarily evident, even from the release notes. You have to know and trust the people behind the project to be able to use the snapshots effectively.
    Just to be clear, I did not intend any judgment of Bryan. As far as I can tell he is a great guy doing quality work. Certainly the two-board kit was a bargain considering the quality and the price. I am optimistic that the software will be of similar quality.

My avoidance of betas is just a general principle of survival that I have learned over the years. Even with the highest quality team with the best intentions, and even with full automated regression testing, a beta is released so that others can help find some of the additional bugs that undoubtedly lurk. I am grateful for the early adopters because their work improves the product, but particularly in this case where I am totally new to the product and probably can't tell a bug from a feature I fear automatically fear the beta.

Surprisingly then, in this case the beta turned out to my friend! Life is full of surprises.

TVWBB Diamond Member
    I understand the hesitance to use a beta, but the HM is a standalone system that can't effect anything else, the worst thing that could happen is you have to download and flash the release version again if the beta gives you issues. In your case the release was giving you nadda, so why not try the beta!
    Since you're new to the HM... The software is pretty mature, major changes usually aren't being made in the beta's these days, generally they are for new device support or bug fixes. This makes them a pretty safe bet to try, particularly if you are using newish pi's and other devices.
    I created the Roto Damper, RD3, HMv4.2 sliding back case, "air-burner" and the "ping-pong" valve in my quest for delicious "set and forget" BBQ.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12