Old Weber Genesis 2

HCintineo

TVWBB Member
So I happen to be browsing Facebook Marketplace this morning, and I see an old Weber LP grill listed for FREE. So, of course, I went to go pick it up. Surprisingly, the serial number was still intact (L3-116154). Based on some quick research, it sounds like this is a Genesis 2, although I'm not sure of the exact year. I don't what I'm going to do with this one yet: restore it or just salvage some parts off of it. It looks like it had a rotisserie on it, so there are going to be some holes in the firebox where the motor is bolted in. Everything else seems to be in decent shape. What do you all think? Here are some pictures:
LM7KLZJ.jpg

jMLIpxy.jpg

ndlBq4r.jpg

sG4Dj0M.jpg

If the frame is good, it would be a good restore candidate. If those are the same as later Genesis grills (1000 and Silver B), there are already holes for the rotisserie motor mount so I doubt that the previous owner drilled anything into the cookbox.

You could call Weber customer service and give them the serial number and they can likely give you the year of manufacture.

If nothing else, you have some really good parts there.

H I would definitely restore it. Looks like you have the swing table on the bottom lying there. Did that model not have the casters on the front if not more then a few on here bought them if you wanted them cut a piece off the frame so it would be level.

Pat the guy with that goldmine find where the slats went a different way think it was Rob had those whitewall wheels where the white piece went to the edge. That grill is pretty old which is a good thing.

Did that model not have the casters on the front if not more then a few on here bought them if you wanted them cut a piece off the frame so it would be level.
Casters made their first appearance with Genesis 1xxx. The Genesis 1/2/3 had no casters...I say keep it original.

I also see the clip for the swing-up table on the back left vertical, that's another indicator of first-gen Genesis. As is L3 in the serial number.

Surprisingly, the serial number was still intact (L3-116154).
When you call Weber with one of these serial numbers, they say, "Sorry, can't tell you the exact year, but probably made in the mid- to late-90s."

That's the answer I got when I called with my Genesis 2 S/N L3-139428. However, I bought mine new in 1991...so yours is a bit older.

I live in Bethlehem PA, not far from NJ, and I haven't seen many of the old wood shelf grills up for sale or even for free this year. I'd restore that beauty and keep it, the wood table models are getting rarer and rarer, and with a decent restore you could easily get another 20 years out of that grill. I plan to get that long out of mine!

The wood is definitely nice looking on these grills. Much better than the later "Durawood". But, I have mentioned before that there is nothing stopping someone from replacing the durawood with real wood. For a flip, it probably isn't worth the trouble if the Durawood is in good shape, but, if you need to replace the durawood, no reason it has to be durawood again.

If the frame is solid, totally restore it. I just finished one this past weekend, it has a green lid.

I saw that one! Looks great!

Doesn't look bad really. NOt sure what the bricks are for LOL

LOL yeah they didn't come with it

If those are the same as later Genesis grills (1000 and Silver B), there are already holes for the rotisserie motor mount so I doubt that the previous owner drilled anything into the cookbox.

I didn't even notice if my 1000 had the holes when I cleaned it up. I'll take a look. This firebox might even be in better shape than that one

Looks like you have the swing table on the bottom lying there.

It does have the swing table but doesn't have the metal bars to hold it in place. Any idea where to get those? I figure I can get some longer bars at Home Depot or something and cut them down / bend them into shape.

Casters made their first appearance with Genesis 1xxx. The Genesis 1/2/3 had no casters...I say keep it original. I also see the clip for the swing-up table on the back left vertical, that's another indicator of first-gen Genesis. As is L3 in the serial number. When you call Weber with one of these serial numbers, they say, "Sorry, can't tell you the exact year, but probably made in the mid- to late-90s."

I thought it was weird when I saw that it was level without the casters. Interesting to know. As for the serial number, you're right; I tried calling Weber, and they couldn't even look up the L3 serial number.

I live in Bethlehem PA, not far from NJ, and I haven't seen many of the old wood shelf grills up for sale or even for free this year. I'd restore that beauty and keep it, the wood table models are getting rarer and rarer, and with a decent restore you could easily get another 20 years out of that grill. I plan to get that long out of mine!

I've seen a few in the NJ / Philly area. Some more expensive than others. I just restored a Genesis 1000 that I found in NJ. This one was up for an hour before I jumped on it.

The wood is definitely nice looking on these grills. Much better than the later "Durawood". But, I have mentioned before that there is nothing stopping someone from replacing the durawood with real wood. For a flip, it probably isn't worth the trouble if the Durawood is in good shape, but, if you need to replace the durawood, no reason it has to be durawood again.

Agreed. The wood looks nicer, but the slats are easy enough to swap in and out.

After about an hour of work on it tonight, I've found that the frame (and the grill as a whole) is in pretty good shape. A few rust spots here and there but still very strong. I'll probably put some more work into it and post some pics as I go.

Yah, just make sure the fitting on the manifold is the same. Some times, previous owners use all kinds of adapters when the modify the hoses on their grills.

Yeah just get a 1/8" NPT to 3/8" flare adapter easy to find at any hardware store and the advantage is a new regulator is easy to find then

Back