2018 Summit Construction?

Rich-GA

TVWBB Member
I saw some info that stated that Summit grills “generally” have all cast aluminum fire boxes. I’m thinking of purchasing a new one, can anyone confirm that the new ones do in fact have all cast aluminum fire boxes?

I saw some info that stated that Summit grills “generally” have all cast aluminum fire boxes. I’m thinking of purchasing a new one, can anyone confirm that the new ones do in fact have all cast aluminum fire boxes?

Rich,
Welcome to the forum!

I have to say I have never heard that. What is your source of information? If Weber did change that, it would at least help. My opinion is that this third generation of Summits are over complicated and under all that flash is an inherently weak grill. The enclosed cabinet with painted steel parts is highly prone to rust-through failure and unless your information indicates a change, the steel parts of the firebox are another failure waiting to happen. I know from personal experience because I have picked up not one but two of these monsters with hope of restoring for our little college cafeteria. After taking one completely apart and seeing all the rust and the many parts needed I now realize why you can get these used for as low as $100.

If you have your heart set on a large, six burner grill, I recommend you join us who restore grills and search out a second generation Summit Platinum - made only in 2004 and 2005. These had ALL Stainless frames and cabinetry. If you can replace the front of the firebox with a stainless piece that some have reported Weber is now selling for replacement you would have a truly great grill. This will require patience and maybe a long drive to get one. But the Platinum version is very unique and worth it if you have to have a Summit.

Last thing to consider, though, is if you need alll that grilling space why not get two classic Genesis grills which will give you even more space and better flexibility in a rock solid grill design?

It was a comparison review but I can’t find the site now. Sounds like I need to check this with Weber before I consider purchasing. I don’t have the room for 2 separate grills, but I may look for a used Platinum, none in my area at the moment. Thanks for all the info.

I agree with Jon. I have no personal experience with summit grills. But if you do much reading on this forum the failures of the summit line at the firebox seem pretty common. Whereas the firebox on the genesis line (both new and old) seems pretty bullet proof.

Ok, one more question. Assuming I go with one of the largest Genesis IIs, any thoughts on the pros/cons of the different models? Most folks seem to like the open cabinet models but they only come in porcelain enameled steel, not stainless.

Honestly given the crazy cost of those Genesis models the Summit may be the better choice also it seems perhaps Weber made a running design change to the fire box and now have stainless steel in the troublesome area where the burners protrude through the fire box behind the control panel. I would look at a Summit in person, remove the grates and flavorizers. Give a careful look from the inside where the burners go through to the panel. If that part is not enamel and is shiny stainless they have done something good there.

I just purchased a Summit in May. My local hardware store had to order it directly from Weber since Ace didn’t stock the black enamel 470 so it’s likely it’s recently built. I was planning to do some cleaning today. I’ll take a look at the inside of mine and see if I can tell if it’s enamel or stainless. Will take some pics.

Last edited:
That would go a long way to answering the question of whether or not newer Summits have been redesigned in the firebox to alleviate the problem.

Weber online support (email) just advised the following:

“Thanks for reaching out to us.

Yes, in fact, all of our gas grills have cast aluminum cookboxes.

Please let me know if you have more questions!

Thank you,

John
Marketing Associate, Online Consumer Care Americas Marketing”

I’ve asked him to confirm explaining that this has not been the case in prior year Summit models.

Well, so much for that:

Weber: “Hi Rich, Thank you for clarifying. The feature of the Summit front portion has not been redesigned.”

I guess it’s the Genesis II or another brand for me...

So on my phone and can’t seem to post pictures. My new Summit’s front plate is a black enamel coated metal

Just to clarify, Weber has advised that they have NOT changed the front of the firebox. Very disappointing, and careless of them not to even make sure they were answering the question correctly the first time.

Well that sucks. You would think if they (Weber) can't or won't make the summit firebox all cast aluminum they could at least make that piece out of good quality stainless?

Painted or coated sheet metal is just not a durable material for the firebox of a gas grill. I have plenty of experience with that. Like 10+ grills over the years that failed precisely because of this problem.

That is for sure! These pictures of my bummer Summit show that:

24uyd90.jpg

2le45ki.jpg

Making the firebox all cast aluminum would solve this, but making the front piece where the burners go in out of stainless would at least be a big improvement.

Really doesn’t make a lot of sense that Weber uses cheaper component on the firebox in their top of the line Summit models while they use all cast aluminum on their lower priced Genesis models. I don’t get it.

Really doesn’t make a lot of sense that Weber uses cheaper component on the firebox in their top of the line Summit models while they use all cast aluminum on their lower priced Genesis models. I don’t get it.

Me either. And why would they recently to go using better quality stainless on the exterior parts like side tables, handle, etc and leave a more rust prone area like this being made of an inferior material?

DOn't worry it won't be long you won't see any higher grade SS on them. Once tariffs take full effect. Plus those Chinese made products (Weber included) will begin to make good ol USA made look better all the time

Rich,
Welcome to the forum!

I have to say I have never heard that. What is your source of information? If Weber did change that, it would at least help. My opinion is that this third generation of Summits are over complicated and under all that flash is an inherently weak grill. The enclosed cabinet with painted steel parts is highly prone to rust-through failure and unless your information indicates a change, the steel parts of the firebox are another failure waiting to happen. I know from personal experience because I have picked up not one but two of these monsters with hope of restoring for our little college cafeteria. After taking one completely apart and seeing all the rust and the many parts needed I now realize why you can get these used for as low as $100.

Hi Jon,
I'm considering upgrading to a 6 burner Weber Summit to replace my smaller Genesis S330. Are these Summits constructed that poorly compared to the previous generation of Genesis grills? Their cabinets looks very similar in terms of quality. Would I be making a huge mistake by upgrading from my current S330 to a Summit 6 Series?
Thanks

Look at the fire box of the Summit. If it's enameled steel than most likely not worth the investment long term especially since Weber has shortened it's warranty quite a lot. 10 years vs what had been 25 for that part. I can tell you from experience it's right about the time that fire box will fail

Back