Weber OEM Replacement Legs and Ash Catcher Pan Kit for Smokey Joe Found

TVincent

Love the forum as a resource. Thought I would pass along some information, since I had struggled with an solution for the past two weeks, and thought others here may have had the same problem/dilemma.

Namely, finding Weber OEM replacement legs and ash pan for my Smokey Joe. About two weeks ago my Smokey Joe's ash catcher pan rusted away and broke away from the legs. I considered some solutions, but a closer inspection of the legs and pan hardware showed they were too far gone with rust to dedicate any time to repairing the pan (despite the lower and upper bowl being in fine shape). Searching out replacement legs (Weber Part No. 63072) ~$15, and ash catcher pan (Weber Part No. 86061) ~$8, PLUS delivery cost (~$5-$10), it looked like I'd just be better off buying a new Smokey Joe (Model 10020) for the typical $30 retail price found at Amazon, Walmart, etc. BUT, I didn't want to. I appreciate that this sounds weird, but my Smokey Joe has sentimental value. :D

You see, after using my then-new WSM at the turn of the century (love to use that phrase), I wanted to give grilling with charcoal a try after growing up using gas from my teens into early adulthood. So, I bought my Smokey Joe in 2005. It was a revelation to eat food cooked over hot charcoal again! Almost like a "gateway grill" I ended up eventually buying the 22' One-Touch Gold Kettle. That said, the Smokey Joe best fit 90% of my grilling needs when not cooking for more than a few people. Then I purchased the Craycort cast-iron grate kit for the SJ a couple of years ago, and that kicked-up the Smokey Joe's capability to a seemingly whole new level. I love this Smokey Joe, so having to say "good-bye" would have been rough.

Long story short, while Googling around today for a miraculous discount on a Weber 10020, I came across a Weber parts kit to replace both the legs and ash catcher pan on the Smokey Joe, it's Weber Part No. 97790. It includes the legs, the ash pan, and the various nuts, bolts, and washers to get my old "DO" date-coded "MADE IN U.S.A. - PALATINE, IL" Joe on a new footing. The kit is offered both at appliancefactoryparts.com ($9; PLUS $10 shipping) and ereplacementparts.com ($10; PLUS $5.50 Shipping). I hope others that have been looking to refurb/re-build their Smokey Joes find this info helpful.

:wsm: :smokeyjoe: :weberq: :blackkettle:

Huh. Although I'm at war with weber I have to say that before my issue, I had called in for a leg kit and both times weber sent me kits for free. Seems back then they liked folks who were rescuing grills. But that being said, I have sj's older than yours and they are no way near needing a ash catcher or legs. How did yours get so bad ? ?

Huh. Although I'm at war with weber I have to say that before my issue, I had called in for a leg kit and both times weber sent me kits for free. Seems back then they liked folks who were rescuing grills. But that being said, I have sj's older than yours and they are no way near needing a ash catcher or legs. How did yours get so bad ? ?

Presumably due to exposure to the elements. Water never collected inside the Smokey Joe (at least no appreciable amount), but I have no doubt that it collected and sat inside the ash pan. That said, while that explains the demise of the ash catcher and center bolt, I'm not sure if that really explains the rust and deterioration of the legs and bolts that secure them to the lower bowl. I do live on Long Island, but, I am 6 miles from the ocean. So, it's not exactly a salty sea-air environment either.

Considering the age of the SJ (13 years), I didn't consider giving Weber a call, but after reading your comment, I just did. Alas, no such luck on them sending me a free leg kit. The Customer Service rep said that hardware is warranted only for 2 years. Instead, she suggested buying the replacement parts and quoted me something close to $30, after all was said and done with the item, taxes, and the cost of delivery.

Interesting to learn that Weber once did send out parts gratis, unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.

Sorry you got no help. I guess you are in a damp and possibly salty environment. I do take mine apart and clean them regularly. I use ss hardware. I sand off the rust and clean the pan. Then I coat them with pam. It really slows the rusting and corrosion. But even here in dry calif I still get rust if I'm not carefull. Well, with a vise and some material, you could build yer own. That price from weber is rediculous.

Sorry you got no help. I guess you are in a damp and possibly salty environment. I do take mine apart and clean them regularly. I use ss hardware. I sand off the rust and clean the pan. Then I coat them with pam. It really slows the rusting and corrosion. But even here in dry calif I still get rust if I'm not carefull. Well, with a vise and some material, you could build yer own. That price from weber is rediculous.

Thank you for the info. Yeah, the price from Weber was cost prohibitive, considering the ~$30 price for a new SJ, and the ~$15 price (kit & delivery) for the entire kit from ereplacementparts.com . I think I will give coating the legs a shot. There's a particularly good mil-spec gun oil, Break-Free CLP, that works well as a preservative, preventing rust, and handles high temperatures on all sorts of things. I think I'll give the new legs and hardware a dry wipe with the stuff once it arrives.

Back