Caliente Argentine/Tuscan Grill Kit Review

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
This is the review I wrote & posted on Amazon, if any are interested.

"When the package arrived I could feel something heavy moving inside it. When I opened it, I found the guide rods laying on the bottom of the box. The flimsy zip ties that should have held them to the cable lifting rod had broken. There were several minor dings from the inside on the ring. Shee... Decided to roll with it and not ask for an exchange because I wanted to use the Caliente Grill right away.

The guide posts were too long and I knew they would damage the lower charcoal bowl of my Weber Performer at some point in time. So I shortened them 1/4". Should go back and remove another 1/4" one of these days, just to make sure they won't do any damage.

One of the L brackets on the inside of the ring did not have a true 90* bend, so the lower end one of the guide posts was still too close to the charcoal bowl. I had to remove it and correct the angle.

The bolt that holds the handle to the cable lifting rod was 1/4" to long. Had to shorten it.

One of the bolts on the cable clamp had a badly shaped hex and was useless. Had to replace that.

The cutout on the charcoal carrier ring was too small & I had to grind over 1/8” around the outside of the Weber charcoal grate to get it to fit. That was the most aggravating part of the assembly.

I feel that I bought a proto type - not a final version with all the problems solved.

As far as cooking with this device, I like it. It's working well, however I would caution anyone purchasing the unit to examine it closely upon arrival and be prepared to send it back for exchange."

A few cooks I've done with it:

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?74103-First-Cook-with-the-Caliente-Grill-Tri-Tip

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?74144-Roadside-Chicken-on-the-Caliente-Grill

Thanks Robert, for the premium price they ask, ALL those issues would give me pause.
High dollar tools should be made correctly and ship safely arriving free from that sort of (minor, I will agree) damage. The need for the additional size adjustments is not an acceptable part of purchase, to me. Having to get out tools and parts to make the thing useable for the first run is a problem which should have been dealt with before the thing left the shop floor.
I very much appreciate your clear honest review, it will,make me wait for a few more bugs to be stepped on in their shop before I think more seriously about this purchase. Excellent report!

Used or not, I would not see anyone casting blame if you returned it for a replacement; some of the problems were not evident until your first use. Granted, that apparently would not solve the guide post issue.

I really don't want to send it back. However, I will call them and ask for a replacement carrier ring. Supposedly it's guaranteed for 2 years on materials and workmanship.

All those things should be brought to the attention of the manufacture. I completely understand you not wanting to send it back now that you've fixed all the fixable problems.
If their a reputable company they will appreciate the feedback.

As an update: The assembly instructions state the grill is guaranteed for 2 years in materials and workmanship. I feel that the charcoal carrier ring assembly was not manufactured properly. So I called called extrememax.com and spoke to Vance on 5/29/18 at 9:51 am. He stated twice that “HE DOES NOT SELL GRILLS” and that I must have a wrong number.

I have not had my mind changed about waiting for bugs to be worked out.
Too bad Vance wasn’t any help. I love getting shoe stores when I’m trying to get customer service somewhere!

He stated twice that “HE DOES NOT SELL GRILLS” - that has to be frustrating to you.

waiting for bugs to be worked out - On Amazon's stats it was first available in October 2016; it would be nice to have a properly-functional and fitting accessory by now!

I called them again and spoke to the same person. He asked for a model number and upon checking and to his surprise... they do sell them.
He's sending me a new unit. Should be here around June 8th.

I called them again and spoke to the same person. He asked for a model number and upon checking and to his surprise... they do sell them.
He's sending me a new unit. Should be here around June 8th.

So, was this Vance? I’m a little confused. Interesting, though my confidence has not improved. Still, you’re getting a new unit so, that’s not all bad.

Last edited:
I made a charcoal ring for the grill. Not really necessary when using lump, but definitely needed when using briquettes.

z3SzpUv.jpg

Last edited:
An update:

ExtremeMax sent another unit. I happened to be in the front yard when UPS delivered it. As the driver was carrying the box one of the guide rods fell out of a hole in the side of the it. He put it back in and acted as if nothing happened. So I had him open the package and we examined the contents. Again, the undersized zip ties that should have held the support rods and handle to the cable lifting road were broken. Again, minor dents from the inside on the "stacker". The L brackets were perfect 90*. The bolt that holds the handle was the right length. The guide rods need shortening. The bolts in the cable clamps were fine. The cutout on the charcoal carrier ring is still too small, although not as bad as the first one.

And now I have two of them.

An update:I happened to be in the front yard when UPS delivered it. As the driver was carrying the box one of the guide rods fell out of a hole in the side of the it. He put it back in and acted as if nothing happened.

You're a patient guy Robert. I'm afraid both units would be on their way back for a refund if that were me. Not sure what is going on with UPS. We had an order come the other day and when the guy was walking to the door, I could see through the window that the box was all crushed. I got to the door just as he turned to leave. I asked him what had happened to our package and he ignored me. I yelled Hey! He never missed a step and continued to the van and left. I immediately sent a scathing email to our UPS service center, order number, time etc and expressed my displeasure with the driver's behavior. Did not receive a reply.

You're a patient guy Robert. I'm afraid both units would be on their way back for a refund if that were me. Not sure what is going on with UPS. We had an order come the other day and when the guy was walking to the door, I could see through the window that the box was all crushed. I got to the door just as he turned to leave. I asked him what had happened to our package and he ignored me. I yelled Hey! He never missed a step and continued to the van and left. I immediately sent a scathing email to our UPS service center, order number, time etc and expressed my displeasure with the driver's behavior. Did not receive a reply.

That's UPS for you. Although the driver on my route is a pretty good guy. He took pix of the package, contents and dinged ring. After I talked to him regarding the condition of the box. Not before, ha ha. I think the hole in the side of the box might have been UPS induced. The strapping tape on the lid had come undone somewhat. ExtrremeMax.com could have given the box a few more winds of tape.

Last edited:
Wow, sorry to hear about all this Robert. I feel kind of bad about it. :( Also makes me want to go out and take a look at mine a bit more closely. I definitely do love that charcoal ring. I still have to figure out how to make/acquire one. I keep having to lower the charcoal grate all the way down before dumping coals, else a number of them just fall over the side.

Back