Smoke Day 2018 Brisket with Baked Cannellini Beans

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
We had a long, terrific Smoke Day. Our menu this year was smoked brisket, skillet baked white beans and grilled corn with bacon butter and Cotija Cheese. Started things rolling at 3:30 Saturday morning. After finishing up the prep work, let this beauty rest at room temperature while I got my 22" WSM up to temp. This cook ran at 250 with Pecan for smoke. Actually got the brisket on at 4:55 am. Anyway, here goes.

This guy was from Costco. Prime at 16.2 lbs.

enhance

Trimmed and injected it with Butcher BBQ brisket marinade Friday evening. Applied Worcestershire sauce for a binder and then rubbed it down with a Beef BBQ Dry rub. Paprika, Chili Powder, Cumin, turbinado sugar, S&P, garlic, onion and chipotle powderWrapped in plastic wrap and put in fridge overnight.
enhance

Saturday morning I removed plastic wrap and applied a second coat of the BBQ Dry Rub. Then applied a Dalmation rub that included granulated garlic and chipotle powders in addition to the S&P.

enhance

MM for a nice low and slow cook.

enhance

Officially underway with fat cap up.

enhance

Six hours.

enhance

Flipped and let roll for another two hours.

enhance

After about 8 hours, at around 170 IT, it was ready for the foil.

enhance

Made a marinade for this step. (more on this at the conclusion) Made kind of a boat with two layers of HD foil and poured marinate over brisket. Marinate included 12 oz. of lager, beef broth, one head of roasted garlic, processed into a paste, canola, soy sauce, yellow mustard, more bbq beef rub and red pepper flakes.

enhance

Let roll for another two hours.

enhance

Got to work on the beans in the afternoon. Grilled up some bacon and then sweated some onion and chopped garlic at the end.

enhance

Then stirred in some brown sugar, molasses, ac vinegar, mustard, paprika salt and pepper.

enhance

After bring to a boil, reduced to a simmer and added two pounds of Cannellini Beans and some chicken stock. Covered skillet and let these roll in the kettle running indirect for two hours.

enhance

After pulling brisket, I pulled it out of the foil and saved the juices. Re-foiled after 15 minute rest on counter and wrapped in towel and placed in cooler for a couple of hours or so.
Then removed the point and sliced.

enhance

Plated it up.

enhance

I had fun with this cook. A little labor intensive, but well worth it. I was pleased with the brisket. It was definitely was not my best but had terrific flavor, even a pretty good little pop to it, I guess from the red pepper flakes. Very tender as well. I really broke with my regular methods on this one. I don't think I've ever done a brisket starting with the fat cap up. I'm also not a fan of foiling, particularly with that much liquid to deal with. I love a good crusty bark and obviously that wasn't the case on this cook. My non-existent smoke ring did not let me down either. All in all though it was a great day. When I wasn't doing something, I ran into the house and looked at all the other magnificent cooks everyone was doing. Thank you all for looking and hope your Smoke Day was as good as ours.

Nicely done, Cliff! You always go all out on your cooks. Food and photos are fantastic! Thanks for sharing your Smoke Day cook.

I tell you Cliff, you leave nothing to be desired. That cook was better than yesterday's game

Cliff, the brisket looks great - and what an effort with the early rise and shine (well, at least, the rise part...) I'm an 0-fer with briskets -I'm always amazed when I see folks nail them like you did. They are not easy!

Food looks great Cliff. Great pictures and details as always, thanks for sharing.

Great looking cook Cliff. What was your thinking on starting with the fat cap up?

Thanks Rich. It really wasn't my thinking. One of the recipes I've been looking at called for fat cap up so that's what I did. I like to experiment and I'm glad I did. I don't think there's a right way or a wrong way. More a matter of preference and what works best for you. I actually bought two of these briskets when I was at Costco. I'll be doing the second one later next month and will do it fat cap down, my personal favorite. It seems to me that when the fat cap is down it acts kind of like a heat shield and helps keeo the flat from drying out.

Another amazing cook and dinner! Brisket looks super.

Might steal your beans recipe. And start doing corn like that.

Back