Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Smoke Day 2018 Brisket with Baked Cannellini Beans

Smoke Day 2018 Brisket with Baked Cannellini Beans

We had a long, terrific Smoke Day. Our menu this year was smoked brisket, skillet baked white beans and grilled corn with bacon butter and Cotija Cheese. Started things rolling at 3:30 Saturday morning. After finishing up the prep work, let this beauty rest at room temperature while I got my 22" WSM up to temp. This cook ran at 250 with Pecan for smoke. Actually got the brisket on at 4:55 am. Anyway, here goes.

This guy was from Costco. Prime at 16.2 lbs.

Trimmed and injected it with Butcher BBQ brisket marinade Friday evening. Applied Worcestershire sauce for a binder and then rubbed it down with a Beef BBQ Dry rub. Paprika, Chili Powder, Cumin, turbinado sugar, S&P, garlic, onion and chipotle powderWrapped in plastic wrap and put in fridge overnight.

Saturday morning I removed plastic wrap and applied a second coat of the BBQ Dry Rub. Then applied a Dalmation rub that included granulated garlic and chipotle powders in addition to the S&P.

MM for a nice low and slow cook.

Officially underway with fat cap up.

Six hours.

Flipped and let roll for another two hours.

After about 8 hours, at around 170 IT, it was ready for the foil.

Made a marinade for this step. (more on this at the conclusion) Made kind of a boat with two layers of HD foil and poured marinate over brisket. Marinate included 12 oz. of lager, beef broth, one head of roasted garlic, processed into a paste, canola, soy sauce, yellow mustard, more bbq beef rub and red pepper flakes.

Let roll for another two hours.

Weber OTG 26.3/4" Kettle, Weber Silver 22 1/2 " Kettle (2), Blue Performer, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe (49er Edition), WSM 22 1/2 ", WSM 18 1/2, WSM 14 1/2"

Got to work on the beans in the afternoon. Grilled up some bacon and then sweated some onion and chopped garlic at the end.

Then stirred in some brown sugar, molasses, ac vinegar, mustard, paprika salt and pepper.

After bring to a boil, reduced to a simmer and added two pounds of Cannellini Beans and some chicken stock. Covered skillet and let these roll in the kettle running indirect for two hours.

After pulling brisket, I pulled it out of the foil and saved the juices. Re-foiled after 15 minute rest on counter and wrapped in towel and placed in cooler for a couple of hours or so.
    Then removed the point and sliced.

Plated it up.

I had fun with this cook. A little labor intensive, but well worth it. I was pleased with the brisket. It was definitely was not my best but had terrific flavor, even a pretty good little pop to it, I guess from the red pepper flakes. Very tender as well. I really broke with my regular methods on this one. I don't think I've ever done a brisket starting with the fat cap up. I'm also not a fan of foiling, particularly with that much liquid to deal with. I love a good crusty bark and obviously that wasn't the case on this cook. My non-existent smoke ring did not let me down either. All in all though it was a great day. When I wasn't doing something, I ran into the house and looked at all the other magnificent cooks everyone was doing. Thank you all for looking and hope your Smoke Day was as good as ours.
    Weber OTG 26.3/4" Kettle, Weber Silver 22 1/2 " Kettle (2), Blue Performer, Jumbo Joe, Smokey Joe (49er Edition), WSM 22 1/2 ", WSM 18 1/2, WSM 14 1/2"

Nicely done, Cliff! You always go all out on your cooks. Food and photos are fantastic! Thanks for sharing your Smoke Day cook.
    22.5 Brownie Bar-B-Q Kettle, 22.5 OTP, 22.5 Performer, 18.5 WSM, Smokey Joe mini smoker
    Sometimes you're the windshield....sometimes you're the bug! Dire Straits

TVWBB Super Fan
    Nice cook and great photos to document it, Cliff. I like your take on baked beans.
    18" One-Touch Silver, 22" One-Touch Gold^2, Summit E-420, 22.5" WSM, 18.5" WSM, 14.5" WSM, Jumbo Joe.

Nice brisket Cliff. Looks like you nailed that one.
    Gonna be fixing a brisket real soon.
    18.5 one touch, 22.5 Performer, Weber go anywhere grill, Weber Bronc smoker, 18.5 WSM
    Med. green egg, PBC, 414 Suburban Hasty Bake, The Good-One Open Range, & M1.

I tell you Cliff, you leave nothing to be desired. That cook was better than yesterday's game
    85 78

Cliff, the brisket looks great - and what an effort with the early rise and shine (well, at least, the rise part...) I'm an 0-fer with briskets -I'm always amazed when I see folks nail them like you did. They are not easy!
    Klose BYC - Weber SM 22.5 - Weber 1-Touch 22 (x2) Weber Genesis E-310

TVWBB Diamond Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    That's some good looking brisket, Cliff! Love those beans!
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

Food looks great Cliff. Great pictures and details as always, thanks for sharing.
    Performer Deluxe(Copper) Genesis Gold B(Redhead) 18WSM 14WSM 26 OTG 22 OTG JJ Q1200 Gas & Charcoal Go Anywhere, Vortex, Kettle Pizza, Smoke

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Rich Dahl's Avatar
    Great looking cook Cliff. What was your thinking on starting with the fat cap up?
    "Rescuing just one dog won't change the world, but it surely will change the world for that one dog."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast