The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just curious

TVWBB Emerald Member Dustin Dorsey's Avatar
    I've been reusing usually with some new in the bottom. If I'm in a hurry I go with all new. It lights way faster.
    22.5 WSM, 22.5 OTS, Smokey Joe, Genesis 1000, Smokenator 1000, Old Country Pecos, Thermapen, Smoke, Maverick ET-732, Igrill 2

I extinguish the charcoal in the WSM after cooking and throw it away a couple of days later. I do not reuse any of the leftovers in the WSM or in the kettle.

TVWBB Fan
    I stopped doing that. I found that I was getting inconsistent temp control, more so when using the partially-spent coals, than when using all fresh briquettes. Also, I noticed a drop in max temp right from the beginning. As to cost savings, I alternate among my barbecue/grilling equipment -- charcoal, gas, pellet -- and there's just two of us; so, the cost savings are minimal and basically irrelevant.

TVWBB Gold Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    It depends on what I’m cooking but, generally, I shut everything down, snuff the coals and, then re use the leftovers in kettles. Always fresh in the WSM but, I seem to have gotten things pretty well equalized, the “Smoke Day”/ John Wayne birthday smoke left me with no more than maybe two cups of useable size leftovers in the WSM. Since I’d used the double barreled kettle as well, I went through quite a bit of KBB. I think I have maybe one basket of used coals total that are re useable. I have always filled the chimney about halfway (+/-) with fresh and topped with the old. It seems to have worked well enough for me.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

I'm not consistent on this. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. Usually, I'll only reuse charcoal in the kettle for quick cooks. 15 or so new ones around the bottom of the chimney and fill the rest of the way with used ones. I did reuse some this weekend in my 18" WSM, but I added some new coals and was only cooking for about 5 hours or so. From here on out, I'll probably just continue to use only new in the 18".
    22" Weber Kettle; 18" Weber Kettle; Big Brother: 18" Weber Smokey Mountain ; and Brand New Baby Brother 14" Weber Smokey Mountain

I close all vents when done and scavenge the large pieces after.

TVWBB Pro
    I close off the vents until they burn out. Then I put them in a wire basket (1/4" squares) and sift the ash off.

Anything worth saving goes into a metal pale and is used in my next chimney burn. Whatever is left gets mixed in with the wood and charcoal (set up in the Minion Method) the next smoke session.
    Bill: WSM 22.5 BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 : Maverick ET-733 : BHG Gas Grill: His & Hers John Deere Lawn Tractors

I smoke with lump charcoal. I let it burn out each time. Once the coals have cooled, I'll sift through and add the ash to my compost pile. Not sure if that is advised with briquettes that may contain any binders.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12