Santa Maria - a couple firsts

BFletcher

TVWBB Platinum Member
I've desired Santa Maria-style grilling for a while and--while it is not a full-blown, dedicated system--I now have a Kettle attachment from Gabbys' Grill. Using it tonight was a real treat. Lump tonight was also a first in my 2 1/2 years of using charcoal.
WNEgMI5.jpg

SHqvCGW.jpg

Bet those were good. My wife bought me my SM style set up from Gabby's also. I absolutely love it. Like your wind barrier you have going on there!

Like your wind barrier you have going on there!

It is an eye sore but we live in the country, so no one can see it other than visitors. I also fitted a 10X12 PVC frame overhead and stretched a tarp across it, so I'm not affected by rain nor snow, either. I think you can see a sliver of it in the pic. That overhead tarp has worked flawlessly for 2 years until last night when I fired-up lump for my first time ever, lol. Today, I had to add two patches.

It is an eye sore but we live in the country, so no one can see it other than visitors. I also fitted a 10X12 PVC frame overhead and stretched a tarp across it, so I'm not affected by rain nor snow, either. I think you can see a sliver of it in the pic. That overhead tarp has worked flawlessly for 2 years until last night when I fired-up lump for my first time ever, lol. Today, I had to add two patches.

I've got the same scenario going. It's functional, protects from rain and heat and will do me until I can get something nicer and more permanent.

It seems like it would be nice to have a plate or some contraption to lay on the ring after a cook to snuff out the fire. Have you come up with anything?

Right now what I have to do when I’m done with a cook, I put my gloves on and move the grill attachment to my steel grilling table and put the kettle lid back on over the hot coals.

Back