I just don't get Home Depot.....

Brian Thomas

TVWBB Pro
I was in H D yesterday and you would think that they would have the displays on KBB in several spots since it's the Memorial Day Sale. But no, the ONLY place they had it was in it's usual location in the grilling section, AND that spot was half empty. If you didn't know better you would think that it was January and not Memorial Day Weekend.

I got one twin pack there to bring the total up to $50 since I had one of the $5 off coupons then headed to Lowes to get the other 4 twin packs that I needed to stock up. Lowes was the exact opposite of HD. There was a stack of the KBB twin packs just as you entered the store and another BIG stack of them near the CS section. You couldn't miss that sale there if you tried.

Anyway got 5 KBB twin packs + 4 bags of Royal Oak that I ordered online the last day they had it on sale so I'm good until the Labor Day Sale!

could be just your local HD with the limited supply or lack of Memorial Day enthusiasm...
the Hds around here have pallets filled outside the garden center, two large displays upon entering the store and a monstrous mountain in the grilling department.
All with no limit on purchases, one twin pack or one hundred.

I just picked up two twin packs yesterday at HD. I didn't see any kind of limit at Home Depot but last time I saw a sale like this at Lowe's it was a limit of two per customer.

A couple years ago, Pammi and I went to one of the local HDs. We looked around, and didn't see anything but some match light. :(
We asked an associate, and he said that they didn't sell much charcoal, so that was all they had! Craziness!

My local HD was the same. There was one pallet of KBB in the BBQ section. I think maybe they're losing money on the deal so they aren't so keen on promoting it. It's also planting time so the front of the store was loaded with plants. Could be a space issue. I got what I needed so that's all I really cared about.

I went to the one in Oswego on Saturday and they had one display in the aisle outside the grilling area. They also had RO lump right next to it for like 9 bucks a bag for 20# so I bought 8.
The lawn mowers were flying out the store that day. I bought a Toro and the lady at checkout said this was the 20th one she rang out and it was only 9 am.

Tim

Lowe's has better marketing skills....
really??? i walk in my local Lowe's store (parking in their 7 car nearly empty lot out front, probably the employees vehicles) and the only employees i see are at the check-out lines ShootingTheSh*t with each other... never have i seen anyone in the grilling dept. Never.

I went to the one in Oswego on Saturday and they had one display in the aisle outside the grilling area. They also had RO lump right next to it for like 9 bucks a bag for 20# so I bought 8.
The lawn mowers were flying out the store that day. I bought a Toro and the lady at checkout said this was the 20th one she rang out and it was only 9 am.

Tim
comparing local prices for push mowers, it is no wonder why HD sold that many... I truly believe their prices are the best.
I a l m o s t bought a Honda Sunday from HD.... https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-2...awn-Mower-with-Auto-Choke-HRR216VKA/203709643
but decided i'm cheap and i'll fix my old Toro/Kohler 6.75

really??? i walk in my local Lowe's store (parking in their 7 car nearly empty lot out front, probably the employees vehicles) and the only employees i see are at the check-out lines ShootingTheSh*t with each other... never have i seen anyone in the grilling dept. Never.

comparing local prices for push mowers, it is no wonder why HD sold that many... I truly believe their prices are the best.
I a l m o s t bought a Honda Sunday from HD.... https://www.homedepot.com/p/Honda-2...awn-Mower-with-Auto-Choke-HRR216VKA/203709643
but decided i'm cheap and i'll fix my old Toro/Kohler 6.75

I bought that mower two years ago at that price, but not from HD ( which btw, that is a really good price ) . But I've had nothing but trouble with the thing. I'm having to replace or clean spark plugs constantly, and today I think I got a plug crossthreaded. Spent the day going to repair shops and trying to figure out what I need to do.

Also, it handles badly. Find a display model and try to pull it backward, it hardly rolls. Its a real pain to trim around trees and such. And I've had a hard time adjusting the speed, its sensitive, I've popped wheelies with it.

Would not buy it again. I don't think its the same Honda mower of 10 years ago, or maybe the more expensive version is a much better mower.

Overall though, I agree, I like Home Depot over Lowes. I just posted in the WSM forum about an 18" new in box for $150 at my local Home Depot.

I am required to take a 30 minute lunch daily. Federal law, no less!
I always try to take lunch near some retail space, Lowe's, Home Depot, Wally World, Big Lots, etc.
When wandering through a Lowe's, I usually just get to go wherever I want, no questions asked.
HD is a different story. There are usually 2-3 associates who ask I if I need help.
Big difference in CS!

Opposite here. Lowes and HD usually quite empty. Menard's ALWAYS crowded same with Farm & Fleet.

You may be on to something there. They sure don't seem like they're really into promoting this deal. FYI. Lowes has KBB on sale again at the same Memorial Day Price (the sale ends today), while at HD no sale at all.

In the past when HD has had their big KBB sale they've usually sold out before the sale is over. Those times they always had pallets of KBB prominently displayed. This year, as discussed, they had it surrounded with other merchandise and not even clearly visible from the main aisle. When I was there last weekend I noticed there was still half a pallet on the floor and another full pallet up high on the shelves in gardening. Clearly they didn't run out this year.

Just a WAG, but I'd wager they were losing too much money at the sale price this year and figured it would be better for the bottom line if they sold as little as possible at that price. Just hang on to it and sell to the ones who didn't plan ahead.

As an aside, there's a small grocery chain in this area that has in the past sold the two-bag KBB bundles broken into singles. It's funny because the bags are clearly labeled as not for individual sale, but there they are, being sold individually. When they put them on sale it's usually for $5/bag. I've wondered if they actually buy the two-bag bundles from HD when they're on sale and then split them into singles.

To your point, the charcoal price isn’t about the money made on it, but the money made on everything else associated with charcoal, like actual grills, grill covers, etc. It’s a Loss Leader, meaning the money “lost” could be made up in other areas plus more. I’ve watched the conversations change from customers just having charcoal displayed in several places on the sales floor. You come in for a water hose, leave with a hose and charcoal, and come back with a truck later because you were in your car the first time, but that’s a heckuva deal. I’d wager that the store you shop in just doesn’t have good merchandise execution. A good District Manager visit to the store would fix that right up!

Back