Textured Spray Paint

Kevin Coulombe

TVWBB Member
Im in the midst is a refurbish of a poorly cared for 2009 E310 and I am trying to figure out how to paint the textured matte grey side shelf edges. They were fairly pitted and I’ve managed to get most of that off, but I’m down to bare metal in spots. Im thinking of trying Krylon textured granite spray paint. Has anyone tried it? Any better ideas? Thanks in advance.
http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-allinone-textured/

Last edited:
Im in the midst is a refurbish of a poorly cared for 2009 E310 and I am trying to figure out how to paint the textured matte grey side shelf edges. They were fairly pitted and I’ve managed to get most of that off, but I’m down to bare metal in spots. Im thinking of trying Krylon textured granite spray paint. Has anyone tried it? Any better ideas? Thanks in advance.
http://www.krylon.com/products/fusion-allinone-textured/

Kevin,

Welcome to the forum! We have had a discussion or two about this topic. I would say that none of us has too much confidence that any of the texture spray paints we have heard about will tolerate the high heat of a grill firebox or endcaps on the lid. But, you are referring to the shelf sides and that would not be the same issue. Even if the color isn't right, if you can get the texture close you can then paint over with regular paint.

If you decided to go through with this, please take some pictures as you go along and post them for us to see. You will need to use a web photo hosting site like Imgur or TinyPic. You upload your pictures there and copy a link designed for "message boards" to your post here. Then the picture will appear after you post.

Good luck! We will all enjoy seeing how this works.

Yah, you could try the textured stuff on the shelf end caps. I would like to see the results as well. Just don't try it on the lid end caps. They get way too hot for standard paint.

I’m way beyond color matching :). The bottom left corner was rotted out so I’ve removed the rust, riveted together some aluminum angle iron and riveted that to the side and bolted the contraption to the bottoms. So I had to prime and paint. Rather than try to color match I’ve painted the entire cabinet “gloss smoke grey” (well, I still have an interior wall to go). I painted the caps of the firebox and the lower firebox with high heat silver. Anyway, onto the end caps.
So far I have removed the corrosion with various wire brushes on my drill, then wiped it down with mineral spirits and coarse steel wool. I didn’t do a thorough job of removing the scratches since the texture should hide it, I merely wanted to remove anything that was about to fall off. I just primed the top half of them and the matte of the primer hides the missing chunks quite well so far. First two pics are from the OfferUp ad. More to follow as I progress.
hBoynZm.jpg

Ypgghzp.jpg

DbM2855.jpg
YyFclV8.jpg
H2R5dmb.jpg

Last edited:
Not so sure about the newer grills but after having disappointing results with a brush on the firebox of my older grill I started using a roller. Not really textured but it gives it that orange peel effect.
I use a roller on the outside of the firebox and the sides of the lid.

So I primed it, let it dry overnight, then flipped it over and primed the other half. I’m using Krylon galvanizing primer, it sounds like it will make stuff last. I guess I’m a sucker for marketing. Anyway, it no longer looks terrible, though if you look close you can see some chips.
DGi1uwk.jpg

wBSVarS.jpg

Not so sure about the newer grills but after having disappointing results with a brush on the firebox of my older grill I started using a roller. Not really textured but it gives it that orange peel effect.
I use a roller on the outside of the firebox and the sides of the lid.
Interesting idea. I was hoping to use spray paint due to the number of angles involved but I will keep it in mind.
So far everything I’ve looked at has been limited to 200F. I was hoping for at least 300 as part of it is close to the fire box. I assume the 200 is because they are using bits of plastic to create the effect.

Last edited:
I chickened out on the textured spray after I couldn’t find anything better than 200F. I went with a glittery VHT engine enamel, I think the sparkles should hide some of the imperfections. This is going to be an interesting looking creation.
mZUPCnA.jpg

The stuff is a pain to spray, it needs to be done within an hour or after a week, so I had to hang it.
Jg3faR9.jpg

The bottle says to use 2 thin coats followed by one medium coat. Here is coat 1 :
zS1OhcE.jpg

And coat 2:
6YJO41H.jpg

The imperfections are clearly still there but aren’t sticking out as bad:
I0qa527.jpg

I also need to bake it at 200F for best results. It appears to be aluminum so that should be fine, I’m going to attempt it in the oven when my wife is getting her hair done. Who would have thought there is a legit need for a double oven?

Within an hour the first one was dry, I took it down and did the same to the other side. Here is the finished product less the oven bit, I should get to that Tuesday.
NEHcCZ3.jpg

6xkeO79.jpg

If nothing else this grill is going to look like bling (I’ve got the silver on the firebox). I bet there’s a celebrity somewhere looking for this exact grill.

Very interesting ideas. Look forward to seeing what it looks like all reassembled. Best wishes on landing the right buyer. I agree they are out there; just be patient and show off the hard work you have done.

The misses went for groceries so on with the project! It turns out the pair of endcaps will fit in the oven. Barely.
VkSzgjo.jpg

I’ve oriented them differently so that I could keep a close eye on them as they warmed up. Before putting them in there I inspected them closely for plastic, one of the washers was suspect so I removed it. It needs to bake for an hour. The instructions are vague as to when you can start the baking, it says when it’s done air drying. I left them for 14 hours.
10 mins into it I realized that I have no idea ho accurate my oven is so I opened it and stuck in an ambient temperature probe, then restarted the timer as I lost all my heat in the process. 200F is not very hot, I’m glad I didn’t go with 200F paint.
The oven is bang on so I wasted 15 mins but at least I know.

Last edited:
Just like a rack of ribs on the Genesis. Low and slow. It have those end caps nice and tenderized in a couple hours.

Apparently it doesn’t smell like ribs. The wife came home halfway and says it smells terribly of paint, I had to open a bunch of windows and put fans in them.

So I think the finished product looks pretty good:
X1jE5E3.jpg

EOJw8NC.jpg

BUT the durability seems questionable at best ever since I baked it. Some of it scraped off coming out of the oven. I’m not sure if this has to do with either the primer or OEM paint not liking the bake or maybe I didn’t scuff it up enough. It does seem to be getting better though I haven’t tried to scrape it on purpose. It takes a week to cure so maybe time will help. It’s going in a moving truck for 2000 miles at the end of July so that should be a pretty good test for it.

Back