Not exactly a modification

Larry D.

TVWBB Emerald Member
Has anyone tried using a 22" kettle lid as a rain shield for an 18" WSM? I'm sure I could come up with away to securely mount it on top of the WSM lid, but why reinvent the wheel? I think it would be of some value as long as the wind isn't blowing too hard.

Well, too late... it's now pouring rain, my kettle lid is perched on top of the WSM and all I can do is hope that the wind doesn't blow. Memo to self: get some bungee cords before the next cook.:(

First, good luck today! I have not used a Kettle lid because I smoke under our deck and I suspended a permanent tarp/PVC frame for use as a rain shield. But have you perused this area? http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/coldtemp.html

Thanks. Normally I have no problem with wind. In today's case I was afraid that the wind would blow the lid to the ground, but luckily it didn't. The rain has stopped and the butts are within a few degrees of my target temperature, so I may have dodged a bullet (no pun intended). :)

I think a couple of bungee cords from the lid handle to the handles I installed on the center section might hold the lid in place even in moderate winds. I'll try it next time.

Back