The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping

Thread: Not exactly a modification

Not exactly a modification

Has anyone tried using a 22" kettle lid as a rain shield for an 18" WSM? I'm sure I could come up with away to securely mount it on top of the WSM lid, but why reinvent the wheel? I think it would be of some value as long as the wind isn't blowing too hard.
    "If we took the bones out, it wouldn't be crunchy, would it?"
    18.5 WSM | 22.5 OTG (green) | 22.5 Kettle (OTS, black)

Well, too late... it's now pouring rain, my kettle lid is perched on top of the WSM and all I can do is hope that the wind doesn't blow. Memo to self: get some bungee cords before the next cook.

TVWBB Pro
    First, good luck today! I have not used a Kettle lid because I smoke under our deck and I suspended a permanent tarp/PVC frame for use as a rain shield. But have you perused this area? http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/coldtemp.html

Quote Originally Posted by BFletcher View Post
    First, good luck today! I have not used a Kettle lid because I smoke under our deck and I suspended a permanent tarp/PVC frame for use as a rain shield. But have you perused this area? http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/coldtemp.html
    Thanks. Normally I have no problem with wind. In today's case I was afraid that the wind would blow the lid to the ground, but luckily it didn't. The rain has stopped and the butts are within a few degrees of my target temperature, so I may have dodged a bullet (no pun intended).

TVWBB Pro
    I’ve got an old kettle lid and I use it exactly like that, works great except if it’s windy.....
    tom bauer
    WSM 14.5,18.5, CB22.5, SJSilver, Q220, Q300, Q320, 18.5, 22.5, Kettle

I think a couple of bungee cords from the lid handle to the handles I installed on the center section might hold the lid in place even in moderate winds. I'll try it next time.