Thoughts on the liner in N/S burner E310 hoods

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
OK, I did a lot of cleanup on my E310 today and got to the lid. I find it has the liner in it like I had heard others discuss on here. This is the first grill I have had with one and I though they were just a Stainless Steel hood thing.

But, anyway, I have no idea how to clean that up so it will look nice. Would I just be better off chucking it and cleaning up the inside of the ceramic coated hood and ditching the liner? The liner seems to be in good shape, but I know it will still look like crap after I try to clean it.

What would you guys do for a flip grill where looks make all the difference???

OK, I did a lot of cleanup on my E310 today and got to the lid. I find it has the liner in it like I had heard others discuss on here. This is the first grill I have had with one and I though they were just a Stainless Steel hood thing.

But, anyway, I have no idea how to clean that up so it will look nice. Would I just be better off chucking it and cleaning up the inside of the ceramic coated hood and ditching the liner? The liner seems to be in good shape, but I know it will still look like crap after I try to clean it.

What would you guys do for a flip grill where looks make all the difference???

Bruce,

Like you said there is no practical way to make it look good again. On a porcelain hood the only real benefit it gives is that it deters the carbon sheeting that accumulates and peels off in sheets. As you know, many people think it is their paint coming off. The liner does seem to stop that, so if I were keeping the grill for myself I would just put up with the appearance. But for a flip, if you can remove it cleanly, then that is what I would do. The grill will work perfectly fine just like all the Webers before did. Like them, carbon will build up if not kept clean on a very regular basis, but that is nothing new.

I would like to hear how you fair with that. Interestingly, you can see from experience now that the first generation 300s didn't have that shield - at least the first few years anyway. Since the hoods are otherwise identical, that shows that it is totally fine.

OK, I guess I will simply leave it off. It came out easily and I don't see why it won't go back together just fine without it. The good thing is that it probably will limit how much carbon has built up on the inside of hood itself and should make that a lot easier to clean up with the Simple Green and #0000 steel wool.

I left the liner out. The inside of the hood cleaned up easily. I just have to take the angle grinder and wire cup brush to the inside of the cook box and then repaint the outside. I am not going to have to repaint the end caps. Then I can put it all back together and get it listed.

Back