Remember my ugly Q200?

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
A couple months ago I posted pictures of a ragtag Q200 with a stand that I picked up on OfferUp for $40. At the time, it looked pretty bad, and some of you agreed:

rbh7ra.jpg

n35eux.jpg

2mnrrpw.jpg

zmmdzc.jpg

Well, I started working on it a couple weeks ago. Had to get a few parts to finish. Since it is a special "thank you" gift from my organization, they are paying for the material costs and I am donating my time. Since the lid was shot, I decided to follow Bruce's recommendations and strip it down to the raw aluminum:

1zgdnok.jpg

My co-worker said they had once borrowed a Q from a friend and loved it. That's why I picked this. She told me red sounded really nice, so I converted it to a redhead. The grate cleaned up well. It is the "rougher" brownish tint cast iron that I like better than the gray smooth finish. If your cast iron has to be coated, the rougher finish seems to be less prone to flaking from what I can see. I did the usual cleaning and restoration of the black plastic. I was especially happy with how the cart came out:

1zn3j2b.jpg

9sy0cz.jpg

15555qp.jpg

Looks just like mine only mine is a 220

Larry,
I told you that cleaning up an ugly one like that just takes faith and a little craziness. Do you think it came out ok? I did a burn off this afternoon and I also added a Weber Q handle light that I picked up for a great deal on OfferUp with their new shipping option. I believe my co-worker and her family are really going to enjoy this grill-just in time for Memorial Day weekend:D!

It looks GREAT or GRATE LOL so you're giving it away? I can't imagine anyone not being happy with that as a gift. When my oldest daughter first went to college for her second year she and a couple of her friends got together in an apartment near UI Chicago. So for her birthday I found her a Q200 on the heavier cart. With a 20lb full tank! The guy selling it was in Chicago and had friends in University Village so I PayPal'd him ($50) and he delivered it to her set it up and showed her how to work it. 10 years ago and she still has it. It now resides as the "backup" grill for her and son in law and just like dad it's her garage queen for bad weather grill

Yah, you did a great job on that Jon. what paint did you wind up using on the lid?

Yah, you did a great job on that Jon. what paint did you wind up using on the lid?

I used Rustoleum high heat red with brake caliper high heat gloss. I didn’t enjoy that high heat gloss because it was too easy for it to get thick and turn cloudy. I had to repaint part of the front a second time. I did like how it came out which was a mild gloss that I think looks original. Not as stunning as the red one you posted but still very nice. Once again I didn’t make any money but at least all my costs were covered so I didn’t lose either.

Yah, it is pretty hard to make a buck on flipping Q grills. If the cooking grate is gone, forget about it. But, they are pretty simple and quick to restore. The problem is that a new one isn't all that expensive. The Q2xxx and Q3xxx grills are a bit better candidates for flipping than the Q1xxx though.

I recall a post where you picked-up a Q, intending to do a rehab to donate to a friend; I remember thinking "I bet he offers even more care and attention for a blessing to this special person." I would say you outperformed anyone's imagination. Beautiful job!

I recall a post where you picked-up a Q, intending to do a rehab to donate to a friend; I remember thinking "I bet he offers even more care and attention for a blessing to this special person." I would say you outperformed anyone's imagination. Beautiful job!

Thanks so much! It was nice to do something for a co-worker. The non-profit we both worked for made it possible to be a "labor of love" as they covered the actual grill and parts cost and I donated my time. She lives down the street from me and her older son is in my Sunday School class. It was nice to bring them something they really wanted and can use. I do hope it will be a real blessing, and, hey, the warranty department is close at hand!;)

Yah, it is pretty hard to make a buck on flipping Q grills. If the cooking grate is gone, forget about it. But, they are pretty simple and quick to restore. The problem is that a new one isn't all that expensive. The Q2xxx and Q3xxx grills are a bit better candidates for flipping than the Q1xxx though.

I’ve had decent luck flipping Q’s. Bruce, you’re right, a new one isn’t that expensive, so you need to get in at a good price. I’ve flipped a Q200 and a Q220 in the last month alone. My total investment including the grills was about $60 for both. I sold both quickly for a profit of $120. What’s nice about the Q is that they are small grills and can make for a quick and easy turn around. These are very addictive, which is probably why I couldn’t pass up a Q320 needing a little work for $50 last week. By the way Jon, the red looks freakin awesome!

Last edited:

Back