Buyer trying to flip my grill with inaccurate description

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
So I sold my refurbished Silver B. All honest description with lots of pics from the restoration. Now the buyer tries to flip it himself. I don't have a problem with that. Everyone trying make some money. However he describes the grill as "like new" with "all new parts inside". But they are not. The only new part is the igniter. Burners, flavorizer bars, grates and grease pan are still the old ones. Most loose rust has been removed and they have been polished with a wire cup. The flavorizer bars have areas rusted out at the bottom. No the parts are not new. Not even close

Would you flag his post at CL for inaccurate description?

Stephan, It sounds like that would be a candidate for flagging, however, I wouldn't waste my time. Anyone that buys it, will obviously look it over in person before they hand over any money, so if they do buy it, the description isn't a big deal to them. He will likely try to sell it elsewhere or under a new CL account if you flag it. He probably has it on FB already.

Can you post a link to the listing? I want to see how he photographed it so that he could get away with listing it as all new. Or does he just have a single picture of the outside?

How much more is he listing it for than what you sold it for?

Yah, if it sells for the other guy, it might be a clear indication that you are underselling your work.

That's why you do your homework before buying anything off CL, Facebook, ETC. Know what to look for and what the value is. Most are honest sellers but there is a lot of misrepresentation also.
Buyer beware!

Yes this was my first grill I sold. I thought it was a fair price plus it was kind of in the way. I will have another one ready in a few days and set this up bit higher.
Oh yes, here is his ad. He is basically now doubling the price. But I don't think he will get this price:
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/for/d/weber-genesis-bbq-grill-like/6596537184.html

There are other cheap ones out there which don't seem to find any buyers.
This one has just been reduced to $90. Looks clean and new flavorizer bars:
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/hsh/d/weber-genesis-silver-natural/6586580847.html
This one needs new grates and some other TLC. Also $90.
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/hsh/d/weber-genesis-gold/6584620583.html
This one for $200. Comes with rotisserie:
https://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/for/d/weber-genesis-silver-w/6581694432.html
Newer Spirit for $150:
https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/app/d/weber-spirit-grill/6584822680.html

That guy is clearly a flipper. He might be one of those guys that flips anything he think he could make a buck on, but in my area, that grill might get $250, but I doubt it. I don't know how much you sold it to him for, but I think you could have gotten $200 pretty easily for it. He is going to sit on it for a long time at $250.

Don't be afraid to list them a little higher. Last year I had 4 grills all done and ready to go. I had people coming to see a certain grill and going home with a different one. I even had them swapping grates from one to the other after I adjusted the prices accordingly. It was almost like shopping in a Home Depot for them. hahaha.

If your grills sit for a while, so be it. The summer has just begun and as people get tired of the beat up POS Chinese throw away grills on their back deck, they will start looking for something to replace it.

For some reason the B's don't draw the dollars like the 1000s and earlier grills. I think the early ones remind people of the grills their parent's had. The B's don't have that classic look. I've seen a couple of B's for very little money but I'm going to shy away and stick to the 1000s and 300s if I do anymore.

I sold it to him for about half of his asking price. It was my first. Just testing the waters. Plus we used the sale of this grill for a fund raiser for a non-profit and we need to hand in the proceeds next week. This was another reason I didn't want to have it sitting around.
But I will be asking a higher price with my other grill once done and wouldn't mind if it does not sell fast. I just don't have the place to store them in a dry area once refurbished. The need to stay outside. Maybe I should get a cheap cover. People like to buy them with covers.

For some reason the B's don't draw the dollars like the 1000s and earlier grills. I think the early ones remind people of the grills their parent's had. The B's don't have that classic look. I've seen a couple of B's for very little money but I'm going to shy away and stick to the 1000s and 300s if I do anymore.

This could well be. But I hardly ever see the old ones showing up here for sale. People put them at the curb. Last night I missed a free 1991 Genesis 3 by about 45 min. It needed quite a bit TLC but free is free and someone beat me. lol

Yah, I think the real issue is that you undersold what you had there. It was worth a lot more than you were asking and the guy knew it. It sounds like he has it listed a bit high, but if he takes $200 for it, it sounds like he still makes a quick buck.

In the future, hopefully you won't be under any undue pressure to sell your rehabs quick and you can afford to sit on them for a little while.

Stefan, i have a couple suggestions for your storage dilemma. First, look for grills that come with a cover. I have two or three laying around in my garage. Then you can drop one on your rehabbed grill while you wait for it to sell. Second, buy a couple cheap poly tarps and use them as temp covers. You can get a 5X7 for a few bucks that would work great for a grill with a couple bungees. I currently have 7 or 8 grills under a large poly tarp in my drive way waiting for me to get to them. Yah, it looks ghetto, but hey, I am trying to run a business here....LOL.

I really haven't noticed a big difference in prices of the Silver B's over the 1000's. In fact, I might say that a Silver B would be a better flip for me. They tend to be easier to rehab since they usually have the thermoset tables which are a lot easier to clean and less trouble than the wood or even durawood tables with the Z brackets.

I see no more "thousands" for sale around here, at least not on Craigslist. I'm not on Facebook so I don't know what's happening there. I feel like Craigslist is a shell of its former self, for both buying and selling. I guess there are new places online people are buying and selling. Shame, really.

Facebook, Offerup and Letgo are three of them. offerup and lego are pretty dead in my area, but I know in more metro areas, they are much more active.

Craigslist still has a following and I like it's simplicity, but it is falling behind and will need to update or it will eventually die off.

Rich,
That is pretty much my conclusion. The 300 series grills still look close enough to the II’s to be modern and appeal to one group. Like you say, the classic Genesis grills bring back good memories and have that “classic car” look that appeals to a whole different group. I guess you have to go with the market:eek:!

Maybe I am doing it all wrong. Lol. This one was on OfferUp. Looks like it was refurbished with a spray can only. Floor panel looks completely rusted before it was sprayed over. Knobs are black and somehow even the grates look black from my view using my small iPhone. And the hood looks dirty inside. But it is listed sold at $119.
https://offerup.co/hpQ1KV94bN
Some of these offers really scare me. Yes you get a new looking grill with a disaster waiting to happen.

Facebook, Offerup and Letgo are three of them. offerup and lego are pretty dead in my area, but I know in more metro areas, they are much more active.

Craigslist still has a following and I like it's simplicity, but it is falling behind and will need to update or it will eventually die off.

The problem with OfferUp or 5miles or similar ones is that the ads don’t expire. You see a great ad but than you realize that it was placed 9 months ago. Plus their really limited search options. This is why I prefer CL.

I see no more "thousands" for sale around here, at least not on Craigslist. I'm not on Facebook so I don't know what's happening there. I feel like Craigslist is a shell of its former self, for both buying and selling. I guess there are new places online people are buying and selling. Shame, really.

In our area people are not even trying to sell the old ones anymore. They just place them by the curb. They may post an ad but stating that they will not hold or even respond to emails. You may get it or not.

Things have really slowed in my area from how they were in April. Summer is here now and those that intended to replace their old grills have already done so for the most part. The pickings are getting slimmer as I expect the market to do similarly for the rehabbed grills.

Maybe I am doing it all wrong. Lol. This one was on OfferUp. Looks like it was refurbished with a spray can only. Floor panel looks completely rusted before it was sprayed over. Knobs are black and somehow even the grates look black from my view using my small iPhone. And the hood looks dirty inside. But it is listed sold at $119.
https://offerup.co/hpQ1KV94bN
Some of these offers really scare me. Yes you get a new looking grill with a disaster waiting to happen.

Stefan,

Yep, it is definitely buyer beware! The knobs and igniter switch may have been painted, but they DID come in black during the last year or so of production of these grills, so it is more likely legit. I would hope he wouldn’t be crazy enough to paint the grates and that they are just nicely seasoned, but who knows? It is actually a really nice grill that deserved a better rehab.

Back