Genesis E310 valve control knobs

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
Jon or anyone else that cares to lend some knowledge on the second generation (2012) E310 grills.

I just started to strip the grill down and have the front control panel loose, but cannot seem to remove the valve control knobs. Is there some kind of trick on these things? I have pulled the knobs on dozens of 1000's, Silvers as well as my first generation E310 and while some were pretty stuck on, none have been like this. I have pulled on all three about as hard as I care to for fear I might damage the valve or manifold. Is there some kind of set screw or catch or something to keep them from accidentally coming off?

Or, is my only option to keep pulling until something gives?

I am stalled here waiting for the divine wisdom of the forum to pour forth. And you are denying the abundant mosquitos in my driveway their evening snack while I sit in here waiting.
.....................................................................................................................................................!

Seems like they should pull straight out.

H0y3nC4.jpg

Yah, Thanks Chris, I was having trouble just getting past step one though. I finally did. I don't know if it was by design, but those suckers are really tight. I did finally get them off using a little coaxing with a screwdriver to pry them while wiggling them back and forth. There are now off as well as the manifold and cover. The mosquitos were happy to see me back out there struggling with it. But I got them off and the grill stripped down to just the bottom panel, two sides and back panel now.

I am really thinking that a good washing down with some Simple Green and water and maybe a cloth or green scrubby and I will be able to leave it as is. No painting necessary except for the rear cross bar cook box support. The paint is peeling off that badly, but it seems to be galvanized under the paint, so it is nice and shiny. I suppose it could be aluminum too, I didn't inspect it too well. But a quick shot of grey paint after I remove the loose paint and it is on to the cook box and lid.

Bruce,
Sorry I didn’t have opportunity to see your question. Glad you got them off. Those knobs are a pain and are also good at breaking. Getting them clean can also be a challenge. I have had to replace sets where they were just too far gone...another good way to eat up any profit potential:p.

Yah, the pretty red color on the knobs is faded really bad. It doesn't look good, but the knobs look to be in otherwise good condition. I wish I had a donor grill or that the E/W burner 300 series grills used the same knob.

How much are they to replace?

I would try eBay first to see what is available. Then compare to the usual suspects like Amazon and the grill parts places. I think the best deal I got the last time was on eBay. At least you don’t need the sear burner knob, too!

OK, yah and even the electronic ignition works....hahaha. That saves $25. $23 on ebay for the knobs.....I will have to consider replacing them, but I don't really want to replace perfectly functional ones.

Last edited:
Do you guys spray anything inside the knob before putting it back on to make it easier to remove later? I've tried using silicone spray inside my Summit 450 knobs and while it doesn't make them come off super-easy, it does seem to be somewhat easier.

I thought about doing that Chris. Maybe some whit lithium grease spray.

I also got to thinking about the faded red kettle emblems on my knobs. I wonder how easy it would be to repaint the red???

Yeah I had a knob stuck on so tight on that Silver B I bought I had to resort to screw drivers to pry it up but it broke. So Luckily I had another knob for it. Once you get them off if you remove them regularly (even once a year) they come off easily. I guess silicone is fine heck even a little WD40

Well since I got the knobs off, I was debating whether to replace them. They were pretty dirty and the red kettle emblems were faded really bad. I did some looking and the best I could find was $20 - $25 for a replacement set. Seems like a big investment for perfectly functional knobs. So, I cleaned them up as best I could and repainted the kettle emblem. I think they came out good. I used the red paint that I had left over from my Q200 restore last year and it seems to have been a great solution.

ljXfqMs.jpg

They look just fine. You maybe could have gotten by with a good cleaning and some Armour All or any of the "restore" type automotive products

Larry, I did try cleaning them up with several cleaners to include bleach which has always worked for me on the hard plastic Silver B and 1000 knobs, but these are made of some kind of "softer" rubber or plastic and the stains in the grey part are just not coming out any more than they have. But, it was the red kettle logos that were really faded that looked bad. I think the paint really dressed them up nicely to the point I can forgo looking for replacements.

I wish I could get out there and do some more work on this grill, but it is just too damn hot and humid today.

Well since I got the knobs off, I was debating whether to replace them. They were pretty dirty and the red kettle emblems were faded really bad. I did some looking and the best I could find was $20 - $25 for a replacement set. Seems like a big investment for perfectly functional knobs. So, I cleaned them up as best I could and repainted the kettle emblem. I think they came out good. I used the red paint that I had left over from my Q200 restore last year and it seems to have been a great solution.

ljXfqMs.jpg

Bruce,

That worked out great.:cool: How did you paint the red part while leaving the silver part as is? Those knobs almost always look dirty and faded. You are right about the soft material not giving up the grease stains. It might give the “touch” people want, but otherwise it is a very poor choice. I just picked up a small package of Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. I will let you know if it really is anything worth investing in by trying it on one of my leftovers of these knobs. I would like to copy your red paint idea while I am at it!;)

Jon, I simply popped off the chrome border pieces, then used painters tape to mask off the rest of the knobs and sprayed. I used the same red matte and then clear coat high heat that I used on the Q200 last year.

Reviving an old thread here, but I actually got some new knobs for my 2013 EP330, but I can't get the old ones off (aside from the control for the sear burner). Any tricks to coaxing them off, or does it just require brute strength?

Back