Indirect cooking on the Q

Mark B in STL

TVWBB Member
I decided to experiment with options for indirect cooking on my Q2200.

I grabbed an inexpensive pizza stone wrapped it in aluminum foil, then placed a rack on top.

I’ve placed a pork roast on the rack (4 lbs) with some seasoning and will let it sit in my Q for 2 hours at a hood temp of 325°f. This is the lowest setting on the Q 2200. Wish me luck.

Update: After cooking the roast for 2 hours the internal temp is not where we need to be. I’ll give it a few more hours.

At 4 hours it was perfect. I learned a few things. I like my new toys.

Last edited:
I am amazed the roast could sit in there that long without being ruined at that temp. Unless it was a shoulder roast. If it was a loin they're so lean I am amazed

I tried the same toys for a rack of baby back ribs last night and it went great. I am enjoying this method of cooking.

Yep almost nothing is impossible on a Q. You just need to use a little imagination and ingenuity. They're great little cooking machines

I think the Q grills are the perfect solution for the average griller. If you just want something to cook steaks, burgers, dogs, veggies, etc....it is the perfect grill. But if you want to try rotisserie, BBQ slow cooking and smoking, you need something else IMO. These grills fit the needs of 80% of people who use grills.

I think the Q grills are the perfect solution for the average griller. If you just want something to cook steaks, burgers, dogs, veggies, etc....it is the perfect grill. But if you want to try rotisserie, BBQ slow cooking and smoking, you need something else IMO. These grills fit the needs of 80% of people who use grills.

I agree with your assessment, Bruce. And for the 80% it is a relatively low-maintenance grill with almost nothing that rusts out. With a little care and an occasional replacement part a person could have one for a very long time. I never saw that when I looked at them in the store. When I picked up my first one for $10, I just figured I had nothing to lose. I was really very pleasantly surprised how great the Q grills! I recommend them to people quite a bit now and enjoy using them. Just wish I had time and $ for a getaway so I could take it on the road:eek:!

I hear ya Jon. I picked up a Q320 today and and turned around and swapped with Larry for a Q200 which fit my needs better. He got more grill, but I got a grill that is more valuable to me. It is going on my trip up north next weekend.

Bruce,

I had a Q200, my first Q and the first that I fixed up, but I decided to give it to a friend when I picked up a Q3200 for only $100. It is true that the big Q has more horsepower and can cook for a larger group. I suppose the dual burners have some merit, too. But, I have to say that I miss my 200 which was plenty big enough for the way I use that type of grill. As long as I gave it a good ten minutes it was plenty hot enough to sear, but it was also more forgiving in grilling than the 3200 which can overdue things if you are not careful. $100 was a great deal, and, since I don't get to go anywhere very much, a permanent stand is fine with me. (I have access to borrow a smaller Q if I actually get a chance to go anywhere.) Still, the 200/2000 is an ideal grill. I think you will be very happy with it.

Yah, I have had several Q1xxx myself and have rehabbed both Q2xxx and Q3xxx grills so I have a pretty good idea what each offers and for me, portability was key. This grill will go with me on my trip up north and allow me to do more than a few burgers. There will only be three of us, but you need a lot of room to cook up enough Buffalo chicken wings to feed three people. A Q100 would just not be enough to do what I want/need. And the Q3xxx just isn't portable enough.

Yep for me it will be the perfect garage queen as it will be a little more versatile with 2 burners and a little xtra size plus if I am doing a backyard cookout I can wheel that out back easily and cook right under the shade trees. Gonna have fun with it

qfwVjXA.jpg

Back