Picked up a Genesis 2

JKim in MA

TVWBB Pro
This is my first Genesis 2/2000 acquisition. I wasn't planning to buy any more this season, but it was close to where I work and I was able to pick it up during lunch. The previous owner is a flipper himself who has since moved on to newer Webers. Since the serial numbers on these don't include the date of manufacture, I can only estimate it to the 1985-1992 timeframe.

The good:

recent cast iron grates
z-bars in good condition
good frame

The bad:

one of the 2 long connector pieces for the lower shelves is a bit iffy
FBs are porcelain and should be replaced
the swing shelf is missing
The [black] lid has turned into a hazy gray, it appears, unless Genesis 2s came with a gray lid.

27437118677_c86e3cd937_b.jpg

41584168594_1da467e56f_b.jpg

27437119137_89d82da72f_b.jpg

I have the matching wooden slats to "make" a matching swing shelf, so this should be interesting. I was going to combine two genny 1000s into one complete one, but I may fix this one up first.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I have an extra if you need it.

Thanks, Pat G, but it was included (just not in the first picture).

It was partially disassembled already when I got there, the manifold is currently not bolted to the firebox and the firebox isn't bolted to the frame, etc etc.

I wouldn't have paid a whole lot for that, but if it was cheap, then a good deal.

The frame and what appears to be nice non-plated cast iron grates are solid finds by themselves. A nicer hood, the swing table and some hard work and you have a winner.

There was a dark gray hood which I believe was a custom color sold through Target, but I think what you have is a faded black one.

The first order of business.... replacing some of the missing bolts for the frame, and then replacing the left side leg piece with a Genny 1000 piece that has casters (it's a drop-in replacement):

27453781927_bb424becb4_h.jpg

Next, I found that the bolts on the firebox for the manifold had snapped off. I am replacing the entire firebox and hood combo with parts from the same 1000 unit:

40516308490_1e65d67fb3_h.jpg

(I've also located the hardware for a swing shelf from my stash of parts. I'm going to convert it to a slider bar swing shelf while I'm at it)

Lastly, check out the funky drip pan holder:

40516298700_f453f18063_b.jpg

Yah, you have a project on your hands there. That back top bar on the frame looks bent downward. It could just be the photo, but it looks that way.

What are the big differences between the Genesis 2 and a Genesis 2000. There doesn't really appear to be a whole lot of difference.

Knowing that the previous owner messed with the grill before I got it, the back bolt that holds the upper frame pieces together is probably loose or missing (I haven't had time to verify).

I think the only discernible difference between the 2 and the 2000 is the casters on the left side.

Last edited:
Bruce only real diff is the slide bar vs the straight rod and using a hole in the frame and the casters on the left side. BTW what I did to my old 2 was I cut off about .75" and simply inserted casters.

I thought the slide bar vs holes was changed mid run on the genesis 1000 grills. I know my 93 didn't have a slide bar. I stole one off a newer 1000. Seems they changed to the slide bar on or near the same year that they switched over to the durawood in place of the real wood.

My dad's is a very early 2000. Bought in either late 92 or early 93. It has cedar planks and a slide bar.

Yeah, but going back that far so much was happening, I forget exact dates but I do know he bought in that range and it is a 2000 as he even still has the original literature from it. I still cook on that grill just about every week for him and my uncle

In this on the photo right you see my dad, one of my sisters, and her husband, on the left you see my uncle (dad's only remaining brother we lost their other brother about 12 years ago) both of those brother saw action in the US Navy in WWII in the south Pacific. The late brother in a Guppy Class submarine and the remaining one shown in the photo on an LST. They fought in some of the worst of it during the last 18 months to 2 years when the Japanese were giving it their last hurrah in places like Okinawa, Tarawa and so on. They don't speak of it much, more matter of factly. "It was our job and we did it" My dad tried enlisting in every branch but he had some issues and they kept making him 4F so he'd try another. Funny during Vietnam if you were breathing they drafted you. When I went down for physical one of my high school friends was there and they drafted him even though he had Leukemia!

Anyway I digress

1KtgCJg.jpg

The frame and what appears to be nice non-plated cast iron grates are solid finds by themselves. A nicer hood, the swing table and some hard work and you have a winner

You have a sharp eye, Jon.

The non-plated cast iron grates are like brand new after cleaning them up. I almost want to keep them for myself, but I have RCP grates on 2 of the keepers and the smooth porcelain coated cast iron grates on #3.

In other news, I bought a redhead Genesis 2000 for $10 and I came home with it and then parted it out. I will have enough pieces to hang the swing shelves on both sides.

40567271590_9340dd6e76_o.png

I might have time to clean the firebox tomorrow and then paint it.

I love the old plain cast iron grates. I know some others don’t agree, but I have picked up two sets with old Florida grills and they restored perfectly. Can’t say the same for the sets of newer porcelain-plated stainless grates I have gotten. I wonder if they switched to a lower quality iron when they changed to the plated style.

I decided to go with a green lid that was on one of my keepers, and I actually did a substantial amount of work after this photo was taken, but I ran out of daylight so no other photos for now:

1) the rear lower leg brace was fabbed together using 1" steel tubing from Home Depot and the McMaster-Carr threaded inserts. It turns out I'll need to replace the front one as well. I'll replace the front one this coming weekend
2) degreased the frame and did a partial repaint
3) wirewheeled the firebox
4) added a sliding right-side swing shelf using a spare left side swing shelf (the JKim special). Yes, I know that the slats are asymmetrical.

Next up, replacement wood slats

42419889391_8a38c4af4b_h.jpg

Last edited:
It's getting there. I am looking forward the updated photos and future progress.

FYI, eBay has a promo until May 30th, $15 off $75 on home and sporting goods if you use their mobile app when you use code P15HOME. The good part is that you can add items to your cart from multiple sellers and as long as you check out ONCE in a single transaction, it qualifies.

I was going to order the aftermarket 13-piece stainless FBs but they are now in the ~$50 range for the 20-gauge versions.

The 13-bar RCP set is $73 with "free shipping" as you may know. I added a sporting goods "filler" - a 3-pack of inflating needles for $4, and I was able to get $15 off.

Back