23 Trout

Michael C.

TVWBB Gold Member
I took my gal fishing over the weekend, and between the both of us, ended up with 23 very tasty trout. We went to Jess Ranch Lakes in Apple Valley, CA, it's a fish hatchery that supplies a lot of our local lakes with fish. They have several small lakes of their own that you can fish. It's a private lake, so no fishing license is required. I used various flavors of Powerbait to land these fish. Normally, they stop biting around 10:30am ish or so, they were hungry, we kept fishing up until around 12:00pm noon. It took about an hr to fillet all of trout, and wrap most of them for the freezer. Very simple BBQ rub, direct over hot coals, skin very crispy, the meat came right off, very tasty fish! Here are the pics, happy fishing!

IMG_8356 by flyboymlc, on Flickr

One of several lakes to fish.

IMG_8376 by flyboymlc, on Flickr

Bagged fish.

IMG_8374 by flyboymlc, on Flickr

Yup, 23 of them.

IMG_8381 by flyboymlc, on Flickr

IMG_8385 by flyboymlc, on Flickr

Over some hot coals.

IMG_8393 by flyboymlc, on Flickr

Done.

IMG_8395 by flyboymlc, on Flickr

Time to eat.

Last edited:
Lovely lake and a super catch! I was watching a show on DIY Channel, I believe it was Tiny House Big Living. It was filmed in Crestline CA. Man you live in some beautiful country!

Nothing better than fresh caught trout!! Brings back memories of summer camp. Nice work, Michael!

R

Excellent catch!

Used to trout fish all the time as a kid.

Biggest I ever caught was 24" out of Lake Amador from the bank of the dam; high noon with a black rooster-tail (nothing was biting for anyone)...Late Spring of '98. Somewhere...there's a picture.

Nice catch! Been there and it's a nice spot. Makes me want to go back up to Bishop and go fly fishing, haven't done that since we moved to AZ 16 years ago.

Now that's a nice weekend Michael. Great catch, great cook. I've never had much luck cooking fish over charcoal. You nailed it

Back