New member looking for some insight...

ASergi

Hi all. I know this is a Weber-centric forum, but I do see lots of open, honest discussion about many other brands as well, so I'd like to get some informed feedback if possible. I'm looking to replace my beloved 15year old Vermont castings 5-burner and am looking for something close. I've had the Broil King Regal Pro 5-burner in my sights along with the Weber Genesis II, but was leaning heavily toward the Broil King for the great reviews, rotisserie/rear burner, US made. Then, outta nowhere, while shopping for a washer/dryer at a local appliance store, I see a SS Genesis 6-burner for $1500. I didn't catch the model number but the salesman said it was a Genesis and that he'd knock off $100 if I took it because he was never going to sell the thing. I'm assuming, given the price, that it's not a Genesis II. And though it doesn't come with a rotisserie or rear burner, it's got me reconsidering the Broil King / Weber decision again.

Any thoughts you might share? Thanks!

The six burner Genesis has to be a “II” because there were no six burner Genesis grills before that.
Hi, and welcome to our forum!

To each his own, of course, but I believe I would take a Genesis II over a Broil King. A couple things you should ask yourself first:
1) Do you really need a grill that large? If so the six burner might make sense. But if not, the Genesis II four burner is rated better for evenness and you have a lot of other choices for less $ than the big 6.
2) Here’s the big question: Why spend so much on a new grill when you can buy a perfectly restored older Weber from when they were rock solid, made in USA? Better yet, do one yourself! There are tons of threads on this site of grill restorations to inspire your creativity. How about one with stunning stained wood slats and super high quality stainless internals made by rcplanebuyer a craftsman we all recommend? His stuff is legendary, and with a set of his stainless rod grates and flavorizer bars you will have the key parts in a level of quality unequaled by any grill out there priced less than a car!

15comls.jpg

2cngxs3.jpg

2d0xjxz.jpg

Whatever you choose, I hope it works out well and you can enjoy years of great grilling!

Last edited:
Thanks, Jon and Sam! The reason I assumed the 6-burner was not a Genesis II was because of price. Most places online that I've seen have it for closer to $2000. So I'm assuming the $1400-1500 price tag is good. As for size, I do need a large grill. My current Vermont Castings is 36" and I find it perfect. The Broil King 5 is just under, the Weber 6-burner just over. In my early internal debates, I was comparing the BK 5-burner to the Genesis 4-burner. The only reason I re-visited the comparison was because this Genesis 6-burner just happened to be right in front of me at what I considered a good price.

Regarding the refurbs--I'm not against it per se. Actually, my first thought was to get my Vermont Castings refurbished. But really, after 15 years on the same grill, I want to treat myself to something shiny and new...and warrantied. And for my cooking requirements and preference, I need vertical burners.

In a way, I'm kind of bummed this isn't a previous version Genesis because then I think I'd get a better warranty and US manufacturing! In any case, thank you for the input. Much appreciated!

Yah, if the sales guy is willing to take off $100 then I think it's in your favor to see if he can take off even more like $200 or maybe even $250 off because he did say that he probably won't sell that thing and for that price you're pretty much in Summit territory (for a 4 burner).

You mentioned you like doing rotisserie. The Genesis II models (all of them) are useless for GOOD rotisserie due to the lack of a dedicated rotisserie burner. If you can live with that limitation (I certainly could and would not) than go for it as the store is pretty much giving the grill away. But if spinning food is something you really love doing it's not the grill for you at any price. You mentioned VC why not another? What is so wrong with your current one you feel it cannot be updated? VC grills tend to be bulletproof devices like the old fashioned Weber. Given the lofty numbers you're willing to spend there may be other better choices as well than just BroilKing too.

The Genesis II six-burner comes in two models. The LX series has a closed-in cart and a slightly higher hood. This one in stainless goes for ~$2000. The "lesser" model has an open cart, slightly less robust side shelves and a lower hood and is only available in black. BBQGuys.com has the black version of this for $1,299. If you are getting the LX for the price you mentioned, then that IS a really good deal.

I am not experienced (yet) with rotisserie cooking, but Larry sure is. I would go along with his opinion that these are not a great choice if that is really important to you. For straight grilling, and since you aren't interested in a classic, it sounds like this is the grill for you.

If you are buying new and the choice is weber or broil king if it was me I would go with a weber.

Broil king is made in North America whereas weber is not. However weber uses higher level materials and just seems more solidly built. In particular broil king uses a lot of stainless that isn't high quality. It's (broil king) still a quality grill that is light years ahead of your cheap char broil, kenmore, etc grills.

Yah, if the sales guy is willing to take off $100 then I think it's in your favor to see if he can take off even more like $200 or maybe even $250 off because he did say that he probably won't sell that thing and for that price you're pretty much in Summit territory (for a 4 burner).

Well, that's the plan. I was going to see if I could work it in with the washer/dryer deal to get a couple more hundred off...

You mentioned you like doing rotisserie. The Genesis II models (all of them) are useless for GOOD rotisserie due to the lack of a dedicated rotisserie burner. If you can live with that limitation (I certainly could and would not) than go for it as the store is pretty much giving the grill away. But if spinning food is something you really love doing it's not the grill for you at any price. You mentioned VC why not another? What is so wrong with your current one you feel it cannot be updated? VC grills tend to be bulletproof devices like the old fashioned Weber. Given the lofty numbers you're willing to spend there may be other better choices as well than just BroilKing too.

Oh man, I would if I could. But Vermont Casting got out of the grill business a few years ago (they're actually a wood stove, gas stove, fireplace insert company). Frankly, I like the idea of rotisserie more than I actually do it. I've used it on occasion, but it's not so much a need-to-have as a nice-to-have. It just happens to come standard with the Broil King, so I saw it as an added feature.

The Genesis II six-burner comes in two models. The LX series has a closed-in cart and a slightly higher hood. This one in stainless goes for ~$2000. The "lesser" model has an open cart, slightly less robust side shelves and a lower hood and is only available in black. BBQGuys.com has the black version of this for $1,299. If you are getting the LX for the price you mentioned, then that IS a really good deal.

I am not experienced (yet) with rotisserie cooking, but Larry sure is. I would go along with his opinion that these are not a great choice if that is really important to you. For straight grilling, and since you aren't interested in a classic, it sounds like this is the grill for you.

Thx Jon. Yes, this one had the fully enclosed stainless cabinet.

Just want to say Thank You to everyone above who took the time to share some personal insight and perspective. If nothing else, I can be sure that if I go Weber I'll have a great forum group for support, discussion and advice. Thanks again all!

If you are buying new and the choice is weber or broil king if it was me I would go with a weber.

Broil king is made in North America whereas weber is not. However weber uses higher level materials and just seems more solidly built. In particular broil king uses a lot of stainless that isn't high quality. It's (broil king) still a quality grill that is light years ahead of your cheap char broil, kenmore, etc grills.

Good perspective. Thanks!

Back