Rehabbers, lend me your eyes

JKim in MA

TVWBB Pro
There's a seller on Boston Craigslist advertising what appears to be a Genesis 2000 for..... EIGHT HUNDRED DOLLARS

https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/app/d/vintage-weber-genesis-grill-3/6593762232.html

"Vintage Iconic Weber Genesis Original. Fully restored with 3 coats of paint in addition to Gloss. Features Mahogany Wood with Fresh Polyurthane Finish.

Has new Burner Tubes & Igniter. Cast Iron Cooking Grates in excellent condition. Flavor bars are in good condition as well.

Offering free delivery and setup in the NE area including RI MA, CT, & NH.

If you plan on offering $500 this is not the grill for you. The restoration was a 20 hour job, and costly.

I strongly suggest you do your research on these old Weber's and compare them to the New models currently being offered. The quality here is far superior to the new generation.

Please feel free to send me any inquiries.

Thank you! :)"

I mean it's nice, but not $800 nice. I see the Z-bars having been painted hastily in pictures 6 and 9, and I see fingerprints in the paint on pic 8. I'm not even sure if it's $500 nice.

Just in case the ad disappears, here are the pics:

#6:
00V0V_hylcKwP8tJg_1200x900.jpg

#8:
00101_kLCJkwHw2cu_1200x900.jpg

#9:
01515_3t6xroLpps0_1200x900.jpg

My apologies if the seller is a member here (but I don't believe anyone here would charge that much).

Last edited:
Pffffft. The wood slats are nice, but that is way over priced. It won't even sell for $500. If a guy wants to make a lot of money rehabbing these grills, he has the wrong hobby.

The wood while pretty isn't refined very well. The slats are not even spaced evenly. And I agree on the paint work. I wouldn't really even nit pick those issues, but if someone wants more for a grill than it cost new twenty five years ago, then there has to be much more attention to detail. This coming from a guy that has rehabbed several 1000's and not one was sold for more than $250. I think his grill is worth half of what he is asking, if that.

Again, one thing I notice in a lot of grill adds, they fail to show key parts. We don't even get to see it with the lid up. DId he bother to clean the inside of the hood? What about the grates, flavo bars and burners. For that price, he should have RCPlanebuyer internals. And did he do anything more that scrape the inside of the cook box out a little?

I am not really knocking the restore, just the price. A few finished 1x2 pieces of mahogany just are not worth $500. Oh, and he could have at least cleaned up the knobs.

I kind of agree with the assessment that the restore isn't all it needs to be to get that kind of stratospheric price. Still, the wood is beautiful. I just wonder about the "polyurethane." I am not the best with wood nomenclature, but I believe you should NOT use polyurethane but instead spar varnish.

Still, it is an overall really nice grill just needing a couple details touched up. I doubt he will get what he wants, but all of us should hope that prices will rise to compensate for the hard work and dedication it takes to bring one of these great grills back to its original glory - or even better. I hope he does well.

I was just at a local big box hardware store looking at the new grills out of curiosity, and I must say that my NG 2000, pretty much like the one for sale in Boston, is worth "to me" at LEAST 800 bucks, especially compared to the tin cans and garbage that sells for almost twice that at the hardware store. I'm rooting for the 800 bucks!

Problem is we likely won't know what the selling price is. If someone follows it closely, they might see the price creep down over time, but I have a feeling that if someone offers the guy $500 cash in hand, he will jump all over it and we would just see the add disappear.

TH I hope it goes for $800 you would be lucky to get 300 for that grill in ATL the most expensive Redhead and I think it was a 2000 that I saw down here went for maybe 250 could have been an offer for less though.

Haha, I'm just rooting for 800 mostly because of how much I like mine. Maybe I'll reach out to the guy, link him here and see if he'll tell us what he gets for it :)

If they sell right away, then they are at or close to the asking price typically. If you see them sit out there for a week or more, then they likely sold at a significant discount from the asking price. People usually already have a new grill and just want to get rid of the old one.

Rehabbed grills could be different though. I would sit on a grill for quite a while before dropping my price much. But, so far this year, I haven't had one sit around for more than 4 or 5 days after I listed it. It is really helping with clearing up some rook around here too.

Pffffft. The wood slats are nice, but that is way over priced. It won't even sell for $500. If a guy wants to make a lot of money rehabbing these grills, he has the wrong hobby.

The wood while pretty isn't refined very well. The slats are not even spaced evenly. And I agree on the paint work. I wouldn't really even nit pick those issues, but if someone wants more for a grill than it cost new twenty five years ago, then there has to be much more attention to detail. This coming from a guy that has rehabbed several 1000's and not one was sold for more than $250. I think his grill is worth half of what he is asking, if that.

Again, one thing I notice in a lot of grill adds, they fail to show key parts. We don't even get to see it with the lid up. DId he bother to clean the inside of the hood? What about the grates, flavo bars and burners. For that price, he should have RCPlanebuyer internals. And did he do anything more that scrape the inside of the cook box out a little?

I am not really knocking the restore, just the price. A few finished 1x2 pieces of mahogany just are not worth $500. Oh, and he could have at least cleaned up the knobs.

Bruce, interesting comments about the slat spacing. If you look in the middle they almost come together. I think and please someone correct me cause I have seen this before on a restore on this model from a guy who does quality work on the other forum. It looks like the front z bars are 2 pieces so they went edge to edge like a regular left side table.

Its just me please not trying to insult anyone but I would have evenly spaced them across the bottom if there was overlap on a z so what.

Wow. The seller just posted pictures of the grates and burners, and didn't even clean out the bottom tray as it appears. I'm fascinated.

JKim: is that your grill :)

Yah, there cerainly isn't $800 worth of wood there, but that is clearly what the seller is basing his price on.

Wow. The seller just posted pictures of the grates and burners, and didn't even clean out the bottom tray as it appears. I'm fascinated.

JKim: is that your grill :)

He's REALLY dreaming. $800 for a few pieces of wood

Back