Weber Briquettes Thoughts?

Just purchased a used WSM 22.5" and plan on smoking this weekend and I have both Weber briquettes and KBB. For my kettle I'm not impressed with Weber but I wasn't sure if it would work better in my WSM. Wondering what's everyone else's experience with it? :blackperformer::wsm22:

I have burned through a couple bags or so. I smoked 4 pork butts last summer & various other things once they were off. 11 or 12 hours later I closed the vents to extinguish fire! That was an entire 20 lb bag lit with half chimney of lump. (I used water in pan too) I was really impressed with that.

I would use Weber on a long cook. Like brisket,or pork butt. It burns long and hot. But around here weber goes for at least twice the price of Kingsford. Short cook like ribs or other quicker cooks,i use Kingsford. I have so much Kingsford I am saving Weber for winter

I've never had an issue with Kingsford on long cooks. Where I am, I'm paying a pretty hefty premium for weber's coal so don't see the point personally.

I think Weber coals are more suited for long smokes in my personal experiences.

Hat's off to anyone that manages long cooks with Kingsford regular coals. They generate too much fire-choking ash for me.

I use Weber for long cooks on the WSM or in the vortex on the kettle.

I especially like it better than kingsford if hanging ribs.

What's a good place to get them on sale?

What is the sale price?

I bought Kingsford Professional last time, because that's what Costco had.

Sometimes I buy the briquettes at the hardware store, sometimes Costco.

Walmart carries Weber coals in these parts for about $15.00 a bag.

Thanks.

Just did a price check.

Home Depot: $17.47

Walmart: $20

Lowes: $12 (sale though 09/01).

Orchard: $20

Re-reading the test comparison, when is it good to have more ash content?

Back