What would you pay for a used Ranch Kettle in excellent condition?

John B

TVWBB Pro
Hi everyone. I have been a member here for a decade or so, and I lurk much more than I post. Like all of you, I have the grill collection disease. Something clicked in me a month ago and I am letting the excess go, and it has been liberating. I have sold two large big green eggs, and two newer genesis propane grills (one with burners going E/W and the other going N/S, otherwise the same). I have more planned, and the ranch kettle at my mom's house is currently targeted for my next sale. I have used it a couple of dozen times. I will be cleaning it to the point of being able to see your reflection in the bowl before I sell it. This method worked really well on the two newer genesis grills, people were falling over themselves thinking they worked better, but had they seen how dirty they were a day earlier I would only have been able to get half of what I did. I am trying to price it right, I don't like to haggle, but I like to maximize dollar returned and value for the person making the purchase, I suppose you could call it a fair price.

I was hoping to get opinions on what you might pay, you know the deep down thought of if you ran into a very good condition ranch kettle, and it was priced at $XXX, what number would make you start creating excuses for your significant other on why it came home kind of thing. Thanks everyone in advance for your opinions. If you are in Utah, then this message is for you, and I have your ranch kettle, lets talk.

John, before I broke down and paid full price (ordered thru this site from Amazon), my wife and I scoped out CL daily waiting for one to be ours.
I suppose you could say I ran out of patience waiting....
I was willing to pay $800 for a "gently" used Ranch...

one week after we bought ours, two were made available.
1st one looked perfect. Seller said it was used 3 times. It looked it. Sold for $900. I would have paid that.
2nd one was "3 or 4 years old". looked like it was cleaned once and just for selling it. The top was dinged and the cooking grate was caked on filthy scum-dirty. Seller was asking $500.

one more thing.... because of my desire to own AND COOK ON the Ranch, my travel radius was pretty extreme.... 150 miles. (however, traveling to Metro Chicago was out of the question)

Good luck selling yours, hope you collect top dollar!

I wish I was in Utah!
If it shines, it is always worth more! 5-9 hundred seems very fair to me.
Be patient and, don’t give it away, if it’s been well taken care of that sounds like a good deal for everyone, you’ll get your price.

Last edited:
John,
I was in the market for a Ranch kettle about three years ago. At that time I was willing to pay 700 for a used one in excellent condition. Likely I would have gone as high as 800 and begged the wife if it came up in my area.

Like Jim my radius was about 150 miles. Ultimately I found one in Reno NV, about 120 miles away, in excellent condition for 375. Funny 3 years ago it sat on CL for 3 agonizing days before I could make the trip. Just last month one came up in Reno for 750, in good but not great shape. A friend of mine in Nevada called within 5 hours of the posting and it was sold for full price.

You have a large area to pull from in Salt Lake. I’d shoot for 800 and see if you get any bites. They ain’t cheap new so a clean one should get top dollar. Good luck.

Thanks for your input everyone. It sounds like your reasoning is right inline with mine. I will probably get it looking really good and ask $700.

icon14.png

Back