Theory of rusted out bottoms

LMichaels

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
So I was perusing CL as I do every AM. I noticed this https://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/for/d/weber-genesis-silver-grill/6594684911.html and it fully illustrated and vindicated my theory that it's NOT the cabinet to blame for the endemic rust out of the later Weber grills but the crappy cheap piece of steel used as the base that simply spreads rust out into the legs.
Look carefully at the photos and you can see the owner of this thing tried putting lipstick on the pig and shot black paint over all the rust on the legs and base to "dress it up"
A wire rack on that base or in the cabinet would solve the whole issue

Larry, I agree. It is not necessarily the cabinet, but that horizontal piece of steel on the bottom is the blame. Dirt, gunk and other stuff collects on it, then the water mixes in and soon, you have rust because it all just sits there. Then, the water eventually gets into the seems where the bottoms and side/back panels meet and that traps more of the gunk and water which results in more of the rust.

But, I will also add that I have found on nearly every cabinet style grill that I have pulled apart, is that they also have a big problem with rust around the vent slots, even higher up from the base of the grill cabinet. Like you said, it is a situation that a higher quality of steel would alleviate. However, that would add another $20 to the cost of the grill.

Back