Latest rehab finished and listed for sale

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
This is the first Genesis E310 that I have rehabbed. I cannibalized a few parts off of another E310 that I have but it is mostly intact. I repainted the entire frame, cabinet, doors, endcaps and cookbox. The lid is clean and shiny inside and out. I put brand new Flavorizer bars in it, cleaned up the burner tubes and stole the SS solid rod grates out of another E310. All in all, I think it came out pretty good. I listed it on CL and FB and had a bite 5 minutes after it hit FB. He is coming tomorrow to look at it.

https://madison.craigslist.org/for/d/weber-genesis-310-propane-gas/6594529525.html

Thoughts, comments, advice????

Bruce,
Great job! The cabinet looks unbelievable. How much rust did you have to deal with? Which color paint did you end up choosing for the repaint there?

I really like the picture showing the combination of all the new stainless. When you combine that with what you did for the cabinet it looks like a home run to me. Sometimes I think I would have done better to have just bought three or four different grills from fellow members and spend my time enjoying my cooking:rolleyes:! The prices are great and never a complaint from my wife about grill restorations;)!

This model is still one of my favorites. Don’t let someone talk you into selling such a nice grill cheap!

Thanks. I used Rustoleum 2X Dark Grey. It looks better in person than in the picture for some reason. It is a bit darker and less contrasting in person than it is in the pictures.

Thanks. I used Rustoleum 2X Dark Grey. It looks better in person than in the picture for some reason. It is a bit darker and less contrasting in person than it is in the pictures.

I have the same grill on my waiting list. Need a few more parts and of course TIME. :( I am sill thinking gray for my hood sides, but there just doesn’t seem to be the right High Heat shade. It would be nice if Weber sold touch up paint, but “hah” on that! They just want you to buy another one!

Yep, I have a guy coming to buy it tomorrow. Said they definitely want it. It is a person who wanted to buy one of my earlier grills but lost out and I put them on my "first chance" list and they jumped on it. Doesn't sound like I will have to deal with someone trying to low ball me either.

I have about $100 into the grill including the price of the grill when I bought it along with the new SS flavo bars, some paint and cleaning supplies. So, it is going to be about $180 profit on this one. Still probably minimum wage when you get right down to it. But, I will be sending off another one of my little babies tomorrow. Then, time to decide which one is next.

I am debating whether to try to redo my other second generation E310 with the N/S burners or go for a Genesis 1000 or Silver B. I am not sure I will have everything I need to do the E310, but I have a good candidate 1000 and Silver B with plenty of parts grills to scavenge from.

Tons of interest. Several people posting that they will take if still available all within a few hours of posting. I guess I should have listed it for more....but oh well. Hopefully the guy coming tomorrow won't balk and I can get started on my next one.

It looks really nice Bruce. I can see why no issue getting it sold. That model was probably the best combination of form and function. It's nice with the redesigned grease tray, the cabinet is functional and really dresses up the grill. I don't care what anyone says. I LIKE the cabinet and with a little care they should last fine. and maintains the solid performing E/W burners that made Weber better than just about ANYTHING out there. BTW that E/W design was so good that for a while even DCS copied Weber on it. But they plumbed in front mounted control knobs. It even went so far as to use ceramic rock bed heat diffusers with a tilt function for rotisserie use. They are very rare and were made before DCS merged with Fisher and Pakel
Bottom line perhaps you may have found a niche to give you an even better profit margin Hell I may have to give up on KitchenAid mixers and move to grills. People are such aholes to me on the mixers. They have no concept of what is done to make them like new AND bulletproof so I can fully guarantee them.

Yah, I was really surprises with the interest this grill received so quickly. I am sure it will be gone today and while I was leaning towards a Genesis 1000 for my next project, I think I may have to switch that up now and go with the E310 N/S burner that I have. I still have to go over it really well to make sure it is doable with out needing parts I don't have. I still have the partially canibalized E/W 310 that I can take from, but I haven't really gotten a good look at the newer N/S grill to make sure it is going to work out. But, I think it will. I had stole the SS rod grates out of that one, so those would have to be replaced for sure. I will find a set on Amazon for that. Just worried about the cabinet mostly. While newer, it was definitely neglected in the 5 years it was used. I will probably list it for more like $300 if/when it is done. Most potential buyers won't even consider the significance of E/W vs N/S burners. They seem to just see the newer, more modern design. The "Bling" if you will.

Yah, I was really surprises with the interest this grill received so quickly. I am sure it will be gone today and while I was leaning towards a Genesis 1000 for my next project, I think I may have to switch that up now and go with the E310 N/S burner that I have. I still have to go over it really well to make sure it is doable with out needing parts I don't have. I still have the partially canibalized E/W 310 that I can take from, but I haven't really gotten a good look at the newer N/S grill to make sure it is going to work out. But, I think it will. I had stole the SS rod grates out of that one, so those would have to be replaced for sure. I will find a set on Amazon for that. Just worried about the cabinet mostly. While newer, it was definitely neglected in the 5 years it was used. I will probably list it for more like $300 if/when it is done. Most potential buyers won't even consider the significance of E/W vs N/S burners. They seem to just see the newer, more modern design. The "Bling" if you will.

Bruce,

Let me know about anything you come up short on. I have a large trove of 300 parts and might be able to help.

p.s. Yes, I think your response is encouraging. At least some people DO see the benefits in what you are offering compared to just a similar grill in decent condition but which has not been renovated. It may also be true that these newer grills will attract attention from some who just don't see the classic ones the way we do. There is a market for both, I think. Keep it going and ask for MORE!

Jon

Last edited:
Yah, I just kissed it good bye. THe guy picked it up a half hour ago and also bought a tank of propane with it for $25.

I had been shying away from the E300 series grills, but maybe should rethink that now. I also just received a low ball offer from a guy for $200. I was very happy to reply saying it was already sold. hahahaha.

Jon, I will let you know if I find a need for any parts for my next E300 rehab.

I can understand that 300 going so fast. One was the great rehab you did and two the more modern look it has compared to the 1000s. Side by side the 1000s look tiny compared to the 300s, but actually the grill size is just about the same.
My silver B is not doing to well on CL just one call so far. I don't think I'll rehab any more 1000s or Bs. not much of a market for them here.

Yah, that does look like some competition. Have you tried Face book Marketplace or LETGO or OFFERUP? Being in a larger metro area, those last two might be great avenues for you to sell grills. There is not a big community on those around me. But, I would definitely consider Facebook Marketplace and their Buy/Sell local groups.

I am seeing a lot of weber's in the $100 range, but yours is much nicer.

Here is a free Spirit for you to grab: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/162823574560066

Last edited:
Looks like you have found a nice niche Bruce. A great product at a more than fair price. And you make a few bucks, nice going!

I can understand that 300 going so fast. One was the great rehab you did and two the more modern look it has compared to the 1000s. Side by side the 1000s look tiny compared to the 300s, but actually the grill size is just about the same.
My silver B is not doing to well on CL just one call so far. I don't think I'll rehab any more 1000s or Bs. not much of a market for them here.

Rich,
That green grill is a beauty, and the right person will come along in time. I do wonder if it is easier to sell the pre-Silver Genesis grills with the slat tables or, as has been mentioned, the 300 series because they do look more modern and a lot larger. (After going back to a Genesis Silver C from a SE-330 I have to agree it is an appearance thing and that they really aren't that much bigger.) The older Genesis does have more of a cult following for which I think some would be willing to pay for, at least that's what I am hoping so:eek:!

I think the biggest benefit of the 1000 over the Silver B is the deep fire box. I don't think the extra flavorizer bars are all that big of a deal and I think some people (experienced grillers) go with just the five E/W bars. But, the big thing is that the bigger/deeper firebox allows more room for a rotisserie and I think the distance from the burners also aids is a more even heat at the cooking grate level.

I have to get busy and make up a bunch of the wood slats for some of my coming rehabs. I am debating whether to continue to use the cedar or go with something prettier like the oak or other hardwoods. i will probably stick with cedar due to cost and it's natural weather resistance and just use a little darker stain than I used on mine.

Back