LarryGrates Version 2.0

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
It has rained every day for a week and I have had a son's graduation (AA) and many activities. Not much time for grill restorations or even grilling:mad:.

Today I got out one of the sets of Original Weber uncoated cast iron grates that I had worked over with a wire brush last week. Did my best to get them initially seasoned with shortening and then put them on my Silver C on top of the aluminum perforated sheets I am trying out. This concept of using the sheet aluminum under regular grates to mimic GrillGrates (without aluminum touching the food) was suggested by Larry Michaels, and I have nicknamed them after him:cool:!

The first go round using stainless rod grates didn't work out all that great. I wound up having to put metal supports under the sheet aluminum because it sagged during grilling. With that in place, here is my first attempt using cast iron, which was my preferred choice for this concept anyway:

a5fi1e.jpg

I decided while I was doing this to also put to the test whether to use these grates with the wider flat part up or the narrower curved part. I think it may well be true that on the newest cast iron that Weber sells now, the expectation is that you are supposed to use them with the flat side up. I have never been convinced that this was the case with the old original grates, based in part on old catalog pictures and the fact that the trademark info is embossed on this side. However, I suppose it is each to his own. Different grilling ideas is part of what makes this all fun;)!

For my personal taste, this test settled it for me. I like the narrower grill marks. The sheet aluminum did not prevent flareups as well as GrillGrates. I think that it may be because the sheet style I picked has TOO MANY holes. I was trying to avoid the Charbroil clog ups and get holes more like GrillGrates have. Anyway, two of the steaks didn't fare so well, but even the one that has recognizable marks doesn't really compare to the GrillGrates results I have had:

b7f052.jpg

On the other side I used the cast iron with the narrow edge side up and got what I feel are VERY NICE results. I would say the equal of GrillGrates:

2s8nupk.jpg

312gql1.jpg

Now I need to see if the aluminum sheets really make any difference in a follow up test. I did use my laser thermometer (a Harbor Freight $17.99 special:eek:) and got readings pushing 700 degrees on the cast iron using the aluminum sheets underneath. It will be interesting to see what happens in comparison without.

I think you got very nice results either way. Also while GG does show decent results IMO they're gimmicks at best that do nothing more than mimic this
2NW2nZm.jpg

One thing worth looking at to see the effect I'm trying to point out is look into Sabre Grills. I think on their site they have some videos on how well they do for searing and limiting flame ups and such. I still believe it's a solid theory.

Wow, looks delish Jon.

Two thoughts:

First, I also dove deep in the archives on a quest to discover if the cast iron was meant to be flat or pointy side up. I seem to remember it was put to bed with a dude who contacted Weber directly, and the response was flat side up, such that the downward pointing vee would direct rendered fat and sauces down and away.

Second, while pointy side up does yield nicer grill marks (beautiful, no question), I read an article recently that argued the top photo steaks would taste better. This is a function of more of the surface area of the meat having a more complete maillard reaction. The science seemed sound, and I'm experimenting starting with a cast iron pan to start with a final dip on the bars for the lines.

Your scientific approach on this experiment is inspired, and makes me want some steak n eggs for breakfast!

Honestly I use them both ways depending on what I am cooking. If you look at my $20 special posts you'll see my grilled Med Sea Bass photos with pointy side up, yet (not sure where I posted) I showed some other photos doing steaks and with pointy side down as I got more surface area in contact with the CI grate surface. I use pointy up when I need less area so less possibility of sticking (as with that delicate fish) but with steaks, burgers, or a favorite of mine asparagus. SO the "right/wrong" thing does not apply except in the case of Weber's latest version of them which has a raised "cross bar" making them impossible to use both ways.

Larry, I really don't see how you see these are gimmicks. Its pretty obvious from Jon has showed you they work if you looking for sear marks wife is they do the job. Thousands of posts saying the same thing so buying a few sections myself just the wife and I will be able to use them on the performer and the 1000.

This is me bought the stamped stainless from BBQ love them so for 55 bucks plus the grillgrates I an still in for less money then RC and I get the RC is top shelf.

Again this is me but I am planning on doing steaks and lamb chops on my charcoal performer no way those come out the same way on the gasser. I am fortunate to have both and the 1000 gets half the work but we do not grill out every night. Just 2 of us kids gone but for the holiday weekend daughter and her fiance coming over doing rib eyes and lamb chops the performer will be done.

IMO they're gimmicks just like those goofy sheets they sell to put over the grates. Waste of good $$$$. Good grilling is more than just "marks" on your food

For my personal taste, this test settled it for me. I like the narrower grill marks.

I am in full agreement with you on this. I haven't used my Genesis E-330 much, yet, but when I do I think of an Easter basket when looking down on the grill marks; I'll flip the grates as an experiment. More oft than not, I'm using a cheap Wal*Mart GrillSmith with narrow CI bars and I like the mark it leaves on our meat. First, I need to stop treating the early 2016 E-330 as though it were a collector item and stop storing it in the basement; that is why I use it so infrequently. Thanks for sharing your experience!

What name do you experts ascribe to the Genesis E-330 from 2016 prior to the new Genesis II Series?

I just call them the Second generation Genesis E300 series. First generation are the Genesis E300s with the side control knobs.

The genesis II's are just that, Genesis II's. So far, there hasn't been a whole lot of talk about the Genesis II series on here due to the newness of them. Also, a great percentage of the members here are more into the earlier models.

Porterhouse Steaks on LarryGrates

Still working on getting my raw cast iron grates better seasoned and experimenting with "LarryGrates." (For those that may be wondering, LarryGrates are based on member Larry Michaels idea of creating an alternative to "GrillGrates" which are not Larry's favorites - to say the least.)

I have been experimenting with this idea of putting a perforated sheet of aluminum under the cast iron to mimic the Charbroil (and GrillGrates) effect. After a slow start, results are getting better with this method. It does seem to reduce flare-ups, but I am not sure as well as GrillGrates. How much "infrared" effect there really is, I am also not sure. Using a laser thermometer I again got cast iron readings in the 600's.

We had a special guest for company and splurged for Porterhouse steaks on sale at Publix. I will say that this combination makes sear marks that are at least close to the ones GrillGrates produces. As has been discussed on here before, I doubt these marks make any real taste difference and different people like different marks - or don't care for them at all. I personally do really like them, and I like mine not overly thick and fairly well spaced apart. GrillGrates definitely delivers this, but I have to say that this Weber cast iron, elevated to LarryGrates, does also:

xnf2ua.jpg

I still hope to do a comparison video of ALL the grate options and try to objectively evaluate them.

Those look good but I must have missed my invitation

Larry,

You were just too far from Chicago:eek:! Actually, it is funny because our guest is my wife's friend who still lives in my wife's longtime southwest suburban locale (Palos Hills/Hickory Hills). Her first words upon leaving the airport here in Florida were "Ok, I guess I need to get my gills on so I can breathe!"

Yes, it is getting hotter and VERY humid after two weeks of continuous on-and-off rain. I just hope tomorrow cooperates so I can work on my Skyline project and also do some kettle grill BBQ chicken. I have been eagerly awaiting since tax season the opportunity to try out the classic red kettle I got in a complicated trade with a WKC member. They tell me the red kettles "blush" when hot, and I want to see for myself (along with doing something beyond just grilling).

Your namesake steaks were really good. I hope to do more to evaluate the grate options soon.

Back