1987 Genesis II Redhead

Rob B.

TVWBB Pro
With the help of a longtime Grillfella I was pointed to a Weber redhead with wide wood slats, which he told me indicated a first generation for Weber. I had zero prior interest in a gas grill but when I heard this was probably Weber's entry into gas grills I got real interested. The grill was at an estate sale about 90 minutes away near where my nephew lived. He was able to go make the purchase for me.

It was structurally and cosmetically in pretty good shape. Inside the cook chamber the prior owner had put a grate over the worn out flavorizer bars, and added lava rocks. And charcoal. And wood chunks. It was a mess.

So I read up on them here and at the WKC, asked some questions, and got some great answers and tips. Thanks to all who helped me! I stripped it down, redid all of the wood, cleaned and painted everything. I won't go into all of the details but instead will show some early pics and some finished pics. It's a 1987 Genesis II. Here's a few more "Before" pics.

And here's some "After" pics.

I've gotta tell you, I'm really digging this grill. I've added the RC guy's SS flavorizer bars. I probably need to replace the 31 year old cooking grates. Man this thing is sweet. And built like a tank.

Beautiful job. I have a 1993 Genesis 1000 which I think is the first year of that era. I though mine was vintage...hahaha.

Great grill and very nice restoration! I never knew that Weber ever sold them with the wide slats. It helps set yours apart for its historical value. Congratulations! You will definitely enjoy.

The wide wood does NOT indicate a first generation. I have one from the 80's (well my son in law has it now) and believe me it came with narrow redwood slats. The slats you have were someone Jerry Rigging them to replace old ones. Still a nice save though. Honestly given the condition of it from the early photos I would not have paid a plugged nickle for it and would have only used it as a spare parts grill

Thanks Bruce and Jon! I'm excited to own it.

The wide wood does NOT indicate a first generation. I have one from the 80's (well my son in law has it now) and believe me it came with narrow redwood slats. The slats you have were someone Jerry Rigging them to replace old ones. Still a nice save though. Honestly given the condition of it from the early photos I would not have paid a plugged nickle for it and would have only used it as a spare parts grill

I'm going to have to disagree with you there LMichaels. Unless you consider the creators of the Weber Genesis - Erich Schlosser, Mike Kempster, and Jim Stephen, Jerry-riggers. Look closely at the pic used for the story about the birth of Weber gas grills. You'll notice 3 wide slats on each side, just like mine. It's a good thing I found it before you did.

Here is a link to the story and the picture as used. Genesis History

Nice find and restore Rob, like a living history lesson. I've only seen one other with the wide slats so you've got a rare bird there.

Just sayin that they were never marketed in that configuration. The article may have shown a prototype but I NEVER saw a Genesis from even the time they were first introduced along side the gas kettle that had those slats. The article shows a mock up but they were never produced and sold that way. I began ogling them when the very first ones hit the market and I was a poor newly married guy and could not justify the cost of one over the Sunbeam grill I ended up buying instead. Even when Weber representatives were at the local ACE and True Value stores doing demos. They did not look like that.
So hey. I am NOT saying you have a "bad thing" there just that the slats are not original is all. Don't take it wrong

I think someone on here last year redid their Genesis 1000 with the wider slats.

I am not familiar with the Genesis 1 series. I have never owned one and don't think I have seen one for sale around me....I might have just thought it was a 1000 however. Usually when they are that old, the wood is either rotted away completely or the shelves are missing entirely. Other than the 3 slats vs 6 or 7 on 1000 grills, I don't see a lot of difference from the outside.

The only real difference between a 1 and a 1000 is the rod for the flip up shelf, and casters on the one side vs just legs. Later on the 1000 got Durawood and a wire basket shelf IIRC

I didn't notice the lack of casters on the one side. The flip up shelf rod looks the same as my 1000 though, before I added the slide.

Just sayin that they were never marketed in that configuration. The article may have shown a prototype but I NEVER saw a Genesis from even the time they were first introduced along side the gas kettle that had those slats.....................................
So hey. I am NOT saying you have a "bad thing" there just that the slats are not original is all. Don't take it wrong

I'm not taking it wrong, I'm saying you're wrong. I do believe you that you haven't seen them. But just because you haven't seen it doesn't mean it never existed. The slats are indeed original from Weber. There is an 1987 Weber advertisement showing them (I will soon have a copy), and here is the owner's manual that came with it that shows them, as well as a bag for a cover that also shows a wide slat Genesis. It was marketed and sold by Weber. It doesn't matter to me if you believe it or not, I'm just trying to keep the history of the grill accurate and true.

Well I'll be dipped in s^&t and called a Sundae. I've began drooling over those grills since like 1986 and I NEVER EVER saw a wide slat unit. Not even when the Weber reps were introducing them using the prototypes. Although one thing that will really answer the question is to look under the Z brackets for how many holes are drilled. That will certainly tell if this was done after the fact or not. I know that my own was IIRC from 1988 or 89. And didn't look like this. Either way if you're happy that's great

The one and only one I saw before Robs was a neighbor three houses down from our home in California. We had just bought our 1999 1000 LX and Commented to him about the wide slates. He said that's how it came and he bought it new when they first came out. I know he still had it when we moved to AZ in 2002.

Yeah that's really weird. Maybe it is where they were distributed. I was living in Chicago when they first came out. And there was an ACE around the corner from me on Central Ave near Montrose and I regularly would stop by there and drool over new grills (which I could not afford because I was saving for a house) and I never saw anything like that. So it's really weird plus you'd think production would be cheaper that way. But, I remember them "dumping" those awful gas kettles to make way for the "new" Genesis. So I literally saw them just as they hit the floor.

I don't remember them in the hardware stores either, but then again I wasn't a Weber guy back then. Of course now I can't remember what I had for lunch. :p

Yah, I totally forgot about lunch today. That is probably a good thing in a way.

I was a Web Head from WAY back. going back to when I got my first place on my own in the early 70's. First thing I bought was a Kettle

Well, case closed on that one. I will admit that I have always looked a little askance at the few other grills that have been posted here in the last year or so having the wide slats. I kind of felt it was like taking classic car and hot rodding it. Ok if you like it, but not “authentic” original. I was obviously wrong and am glad to learn more. It does make for an interesting alternative for restoring a classic Weber. Thanks very much for sharing your thorough research. Great grill find for sure!

Back