Found a 1993 Weber Genesis 1000 LP

HCintineo

TVWBB Member
Hey everyone, I picked up an old Weber Genesis this morning that I found on Craigslist for $50. I called Weber Customer Service, and they looked up the serial number. As mentioned in the title, it's a 1993 Weber Genesis 1000 LP. Everything works, but it just doesn't look too pretty. I'm going to start restoring it and am just looking for some advice on how to clean everything up and fix up some parts. I'm probably going to paint the outside too. I'm not sure what tools and paints work best for the different materials for the grill.

If anyone's interested and is trying to figure out the year of their grill, the serial number starts with KL1 and the model number is 210000.

One thing I'm trying to figure out is how to take the fold-down side table off. If anyone knows how, please let me know.

3zqfT4r.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Harry, and welcome!

Before you dive into your project, you need to spend a few hours sorting through the posts in the Gas Grill subforum because everything you need to do to restore your grill has been done a hundred times by the people that have come before you, and it's all written about in here somewhere!

This search will get you started: http://tvwbb.com/search.php?do=process&query=1000 restoration&titleonly=1

And of course this compilation: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?69...together-a-quot-How-To-quot-Restoration-Guide

Lots of helpful folks here, don't hesitate to ask questions...but many questions can be answered by doing some research.

You mentioned "I'm probably going to paint the outside". I looked at your photo and see that all the black parts of the lid and firebox need repainting. The red porcelain enamel lid should cleanup by scrubbing with Simple Green and 0000 super fine steel wool. Avoid the temptation to repaint the red lid.

Good luck,
Chris

i bet when you are finished she’ll be a beut! Looks like lots of potential there.

Do what Chris said, there are a couple of threads on restores like yours. Also check out The Virtual Weber Gas Grill, another great site run by Chris.

And keep us informed with how it goes!

Erik

Doesn't look like too bad a find. Some cleaning and a little TLC and you'll have a very nice grilling machine

"One thing I'm trying to figure out is how to take the fold-down side table off."

The endcap for the swing table has a locking tab and the frame has a notch underneath for the locking tab to click into. Take a flathead screwdriver and see if you can free up the tab out of the notch.

However, since it may not have been removed in 25 years, it might be a royal pain to actually accomplish this.

Thanks for all the feedback already! Today I started disassembling everything and took apart the whole frame. I separated it into pieces and sanded each piece (60, 120, 220, 320, 400). I started spray painting it with Rust-oleum High Heat Ultra. Once I finish up all the pieces, I'll put it all back together. The hardware was pretty much all rusted out. Would you guys recommend trying to salvage the old hardware or just buy new stuff?

That is the same grill as mine. Same year and everything. When you say "hardware" do you mean the internals, like the burner tubes, flavorizer bars and cooking grates????? If so, I would keep them if they are serviceable, but if they are pretty bad, then, yes, just replace them. There are tips for cleaning them up as well. Just ask if you have questions on that.

Good luck, keep us posted on the progress.

Here is a before and after on my grill: https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?71283-Bruce-s-Genesis-Red-Head-1000-Restore-Before-amp-After

Thanks for all the feedback already! Today I started disassembling everything and took apart the whole frame. I separated it into pieces and sanded each piece (60, 120, 220, 320, 400). I started spray painting it with Rust-oleum High Heat Ultra. Once I finish up all the pieces, I'll put it all back together. The hardware was pretty much all rusted out. Would you guys recommend trying to salvage the old hardware or just buy new stuff?

Just as follow up to what Bruce said. If you are referring to all the nuts, bolts and screws then absolutely yes. Try to get the best stainless parts you can. Most are easily replaced. The burners and flavorizer bars are the heart of your grill. If they are rusted out you will greatly benefit from replacement. On the other hand don’t write off perfectly useable parts until you have examined them and given them a thorough cleanup if they look like they have potential.

Using quality grates will also make a big difference. Get either good stainless rod or cast iron grates. You will see many of us recommend a vendor named Dave Santana who we all know as “rcplanebuyer” because of his eBay name. His stainless stuff is the best. If you are interested, reach out to him on Craigslist San Francisco Bay. You can find him by searching for “Weber bars”. However, you can get other decent replacement grates if his are out of your rehab budget.

If you go with cast iron be wary of the porcelain coated type. In my experience it inevitably starts chipping off, so my personal preference is to find an old set of un-coated cast iron. Some others here would probably suggest otherwise, but that is what makes the world go around!

By hardware, I’m more so referring the the nuts and bolts. I saved everything I could during disassembly so I’ll take a trip to a hardware store with all of those and replace them with stainless steel. I noticed there were a lot of plastic washers as I was taking it all apart. Should I replace with plastic, use stainless steel, or don’t even use a washer? I’m going to use an anti-seize for all of the metal to metal connections.

The burners and flavorizer bars are still in good shape. I’ll probably need new grates though. I was leaning towards the Weber porcelain enameled ones, but I think I might go stainless steel now. Thanks again everyone!

For just a few $$$ more than Weber CI grates get RC's grates. You will not be sorry you made the investment.

Go stainless whenever you can for flavorizer bars and cooking grates.. You can find them on Amazon for much cheaper than direct from Weber. I would look for the solid rod type and they can be had for under $40.

Keep the plastic washers. They are there for a purpose. They limit the contact between the two different metals of the bolts and the frame which tends to cause corrosion. But, definitely go with stainless if the bolts are rusty at all. If they are in good shape, then I don't see a need to replace them. On most of the frame bolts, you don't need to use anti-seize, especially if you replace them with Stainless. The ones you have to worry about are the ones that hold the manifold to the cook box and the one on the left of the cook box that fastens it to the frame.

Thanks again for all of the feedback everyone! I'm going to try and replace as much of the hardware (nuts, bolts, etc.) as possible. The screws that came out of the lid and lid side panels appear to be in good shape. I'll probably wash them down then tape the threads and spray it with the same paint I'm going to use on the lid side panels and firebox so it matches (Rustoleum High Heat Matte Black). I am a bit weary about putting everything together in the right order using the right fasteners since I have seen a complete guide for that process on the Genesis 1000 yet. I did find a copy of the owner's manual online that explains the majority it, but some of the parts (lid, propane scale, and manifold) seem like the came already put together from the factory so there aren't instructions for reassembly in the manual. The propane scale, especially, seems like it will be a bit more tricky than I was expecting. Hopefully I'm on the right track with all of this!

Here's a picture of all of the parts disassembled:

tPfCI5U.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! You are on your way to marital grill bliss:rolleyes:! When the grill parts start invading the house that’s when I get in the most trouble:eek:!

I just placed an order with Bolt Depot for all of the bolts, nuts, and washer that I think I'll need. Not sure if anyone has ordered through them before, but it's pretty nice to be able to order all pieces individually. Not unreasonably priced either.

https://imgur.com/Df6qOaN

While doing some work on the grill tonight, I realized there is a screw that broke off in the firebox and is stuck. It’s one of the thumb screws from the manifold. What’s the best way of getting of that out?

That happens often. Those two bolts and the one on the left side that goes through the fire box and connects it to the frame. I just drill them out. It takes some time and effort, but not really a big problem. More of a PIA than anything else.

Back