Bottom air vents

Brian K Battjes

What is the guideline for setting the bottom air vents for an all nite smoke/cook. I'm new to this and crawling on the floor to balance them out just seems unnatural. What have others done to make this an easier process? Thank you!!!

Here's my set ..

e8jKQEN.jpg

Just don't ask me for the mathematical equation that Rita Y used to determine the size of the opening :confused:

I'll just trust Rita

what I did was just get a few smokes under my belt and learned by feel. I know my method isn't as precise as Lynn's, he took it to a whole new level!! Once you get the hang of it, it's actually quite simple. The thing I had to realize was this (again my opinion) isn't an exact science. Don't chase your thermometer every time it rises or falls a couple degrees. Once I got comfortable with my knowledge of how my smoker ran, it became pretty much set it and forget it.
Good luck,
Tim

Problem I'm havin now, is my vents have loosened, and I'm not sure how to tighten them up without bending them out of shape.

hah, that is my " fraidy hole " , its a storm shelter. I lived with Oklahoma tornadoes for 61 years before I decided I needed a shelter 5 yrs ago.

Got it in 2013, haven't used it since it was installed. But I gotta admit, its assuring to have it, when they predict a bad weather day here.

For a long time, I relied on leaving the house and going to a shopping mall that was built into the side of a hill. Just watch the Natl Weather Serv and TV weather, and if looked like something might come our way, I'd boogie to the mall. That really worked well when my daughters were small, it got their mind off the storm, and we had shelter.

But in May 2013, we had a serious tornado form west of OKC that was headed our way. And a fool TV weatherman told people to leave their houses and drive to shelter. Well, that created gridlock on the streets. I was in that mess trying to get to the mall. I decided then, it was time for a shelter. My old way would no longer work.

Back