How long to smoke 3 pork butts

At that temp your lookin at 1-1/2 to 2 hrs per lb so roughly 12-16 hrs.
3 same sized butts take the same time as 1 but it takes a little longer to come up to temp because of the extra cold mass.
HTH and good luck!

Tim

Keep in mind that the three will not necessarily finish at the same time. I generally smoke butts at closer to 250 degrees and anticipate it taking 12-14 hours for 7-8 lb butts. Hopefully you and your family/friends have a nice day to enjoy the fruits of your labor

Joseph, first, welcome to the group!! As Timothy stated, it will take longer to get up to temp, but after you reach your target temp, 1 butt or 3, or 7 butts will take about the same amount of time. I like to cook my Boston butts between 265*-275*, and for a 7-8 pound butt I plan on a 10 hour +/- smoke. So with you're target temp of 220*, I would plan on smoking the butts well over 10 hours. Probably in the 12+ hour range. I hope this helps, and good luck.
Tim

Don’t know if you cooked them yet, I cook mine at about 250. Usually do an 8-9 pounder and it always ends up at just about 13 hours. If you’ve cooked them, show us some pics!! Let us hear about it!!

Last Thursday I did a 7.5 b. Butt at 250. Total time 11 hr 30 mins. That said, every Butt is different and cook at their own pace. Have fun.

Don’t know if you cooked them yet, I cook mine at about 250. Usually do an 8-9 pounder and it always ends up at just about 13 hours. If you’ve cooked them, show us some pics!! Let us hear about it!!

Yup, so I ended up doing all 3. Smoked two on the top rack and one on the bottom rack. I had a thick sauce for the mop (not watery)The bottom rack was done after about 12 hours. The top rack took about 14 hours. Last couple of hours I turned up the heat to about 320 because I had to finish for a party. Gave it a nice firm bark. Highly recommended. Great compliments all around!

Great job! As an aside, these shoulders serve well as leftovers, too; I have a feeling many smokers also invest in Foodsaver vac sealers. I load the sealed, frozen bag of pulled pork into simmering water and serve in less than 30 minutes.

I just did a 8 pounder at 250-260. That stubborn sob took 14 hours. Did i mention i ate the whole thing myself ( minus 2 sammies ) in four days 😀😀. I love me some pulled pork!!

Back