Technivorm Moccamaster

Clint

TVWBB Olympian
I ordered one of these (Technivorm Moccamaster 79312) last night - had a $100 gift card and well...... I'm wondering how much of a difference it'll make, if any.

technivorm-kbgt-1_1.jpg

my last coffee maker is a Zojirushi EC-BD15 (discontinued, I got it in 2007) and it's still working perfectly..........just the carafe took a tumble out of the back door of my truck on Tuesday & chipped the corner off the spout...still pours perfectly.

Not sure why I ordered it, but it's almost mine now.

Other coffee making devices I switch between:

moka pot
710c9s4e4WL._SX466_.jpg

aeropress (~2016)
img53c.jpg

a cheap french press (stainless) (~2013)
41neKF3R7dL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

toddy cold brew (~2016)
1.jpg

DeLonghi espresso (2005)
41EHB90CQXL.jpg

I switch it up all the time, but I've always been happy to return to the zojirushi.

I have a decent grinder, mine's labeled Starbucks Barista, I got it used ~10 years ago, it's a dead ringer for the Baratza Encore.

Last edited:
At that price that better make some damn good coffee...I like the areo press... Wouldn't mind trying the Ninja coffee bar myself.

At that price that better make some damn good coffee...I like the areo press... Wouldn't mind trying the Ninja coffee bar myself.

I know. I should've just stayed with zojirushi - I know their thermal carafe kicks butt, the last machine lasted ~11 years (still going strong), & the new one looks better than the one I had. I can't imagine being happier with a drip than I was (am) with my current zojirushi.

TV's seems to be a top coffee maker and has been around since the late 60s, I checked ebay for used machines & saw a bunch of replacement parts, watched linked youtube videos of people replacing parts. That kind of sold me on it. Thing is, I'm not ALL that particular......just so long as it's not too watery. I like a strong flavor profile but I usually hit it with enough sugar and cream that'd almost cover burnt coffee.

You know there's just something very special about that first smell of coffee brewing and knowing the first sip is going to be great...I absolutely love a great tasting cup of coffee first thing in the morning... Actually any time of day.

brings back memories of sitting at the grandparents table after a hard mornings work, and hanging around an old gf's mom's table. Something about coffee's flavor & smell.

I feel just fine without it and could go without..............if nobody else was drinking it!

It's hard to lay in bed & pretend you're sleeping when there's the smell of bacon or sausage and coffee!

I'll probably miss the automatic timer.

The smell of coffee and bacon or sausage first thing in the morning always make me go back to my child hood and waking up in the morning freezing my butt off in the High Sierra's camping... If I'm sleeping and I smell that I start dreaming about camping.

The Moccamaster won Cook's Illustrated's testing at least once, if not more, when they've tested drip coffee makers. I have a really hard time dropping that much coin on a coffee maker.

Let us know how the new coffee rig works out for you, Clint. I'm a bit particular about my coffee (the word snob gets bandied about a lot), so I've preferred "manual" brewing methods for many years. I did have to chuckle at your list of brew gear......kinda reminds me of someone I know..... :)

41330363715_42fedb29bc_k.jpg

The Moccamaster won Cook's Illustrated's testing at least once, if not more, when they've tested drip coffee makers. I have a really hard time dropping that much coin on a coffee maker.

Me too! I first saw the MM here first in one of the coffee threads, & CI recommending it, I watched their review at least a couple times over the years...... I like how they beat stuff up & try it (like the 12" non-stick pan test- -they beat them on the curb to see how flat they stay!).

Let us know how the new coffee rig works out for you, Clint. I'm a bit particular about my coffee (the word snob gets bandied about a lot), so I've preferred "manual" brewing methods for many years. I did have to chuckle at your list of brew gear......kinda reminds me of someone I know..... :)

41330363715_42fedb29bc_k.jpg

Rock on! I know you can make a good cup!

I'm going to do a side-by-side comparison, and I'll be saving the old one to take to work or something. I'll post my thoughts on how it compares after I have a little experience.

Just what does that bad boy cost?

as much as a kitchenaid mixer but less than a vitamix blender.

I was actually shopping blenders not long ago, then I just spent ~$12 on a new base plate & rubber gasket for my oster blender.

It got here about an hour ago so I decided to bake some brownies in it:

33216332_10212111232317977_594970631125073920_o.jpg

it called for 78 grams of coffee, which is about twice what I usually use (11.5 of my scoops instead of my usual 6 ~1T scoops). I was already amped up from the 2 brews I had from the moka pot today, I just had a cup with cream & sugar and another small portion just black. Going to try a coarser grind tomorrow.

It's just a coffee maker, doesn't seem to be "worth it" so far (<1 pot)..... at least I'm not some poor sap who spent $500 on a blender :) (no offense)

as much as a kitchenaid mixer but less than a vitamix blender.

I was actually shopping blenders not long ago, then I just spent ~$12 on a new base plate & rubber gasket for my oster blender.

DOesn't tell me much.

A buddy of mine got one after the CI test results and sang the praises of the thing loud and guy was quite a collector of interesting items over the years. He died unexpectedly last fall, I will miss his awful jokes!
How do you like the machine after a few weeks is going to be the telling point.
They ain’t cheap, that’s for sure!
$319.00 is the “deal” from Amazon right now.

Last edited:
One big secret of that machine is that it holds FAR more coffee than regular coffee makers. Grinding your own and adjusting the grind appropriate to your machine using twice the amount you think you should will yield darn good results

I've always wanted a Technivorm but just have trouble justifying the cost. The thing it allegedly buys you is all the water hitting the grounds at the perfect temperature. I don't think any other automatic coffee maker does that.

I used an AeroPress every day at work. Always weighed my coffee rather than measuring by volume. Volume can be inconsistent by up to 100%. I've measured it. Somebody makes a stainless steel mesh screen to replace the paper filters in the AeroPress. It works well and allows more of the oils to get into the cup. This is the one I bought. It's more expensive than some of the others that are now available but it comes with a lifetime guarantee and I can attest to them honoring this. I had a small issue with my first one and they sent me an improved replacement without any problem.

A buddy of mine got one after the CI test results and sang the praises of the thing loud and guy was quite a collector of interesting items over the years. He died unexpectedly last fall, I will miss his awful jokes!
How do you like the machine after a few weeks is going to be the telling point.
They ain’t cheap, that’s for sure!
$319.00 is the “deal” from Amazon right now.

I always hate losing friends........ yep, can't wait to see how it works over time----the carafe is smaller than my last one (1.25L instead of 1.5L). I've ordered a bunch more coffee from Amazon - links below. I like the 3# bags of San Fransicco Bay brand French Roast from Costco...........I just don't particularly like walking through costco (crowds / people / workers who inspect my cart at the exit), so I get it at Amazon at twice the $$

One big secret of that machine is that it holds FAR more coffee than regular coffee makers. Grinding your own and adjusting the grind appropriate to your machine using twice the amount you think you should will yield darn good results

Yesterday I went with a 20(ish) # on the grinder (close to the espresso/drip border), today I went closer to 30(ish), nearing the drip/French press border. I used the same gold tone filter from my old machine (not a perfect fit but close), not the included #4 paper filters, the brew basket is close to the same size, but I think it calls for a coarser grind. I'll go even coarser next time.

I've always wanted a Technivorm but just have trouble justifying the cost. The thing it allegedly buys you is all the water hitting the grounds at the perfect temperature. I don't think any other automatic coffee maker does that.

I used an AeroPress every day at work. Always weighed my coffee rather than measuring by volume. Volume can be inconsistent by up to 100%. I've measured it. Somebody makes a stainless steel mesh screen to replace the paper filters in the AeroPress. It works well and allows more of the oils to get into the cup. This is the one I bought. It's more expensive than some of the others that are now available but it comes with a lifetime guarantee and I can attest to them honoring this. I had a small issue with my first one and they sent me an improved replacement without any problem.

Thanks for the reminder - I'll weigh it, or at least the first of each batch.

--------------------------------------

Coffees I ordered this morning:
5LB Cafe Don Pablo Subtle Earth Organic Gourmet Coffee - Medium-Dark Roast - this is at least the third time I've gone with this
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0187VE2IY/tvwb-20

Starbucks French Roast Dark Roast Ground Coffee, 12-Ounce Bag - this is probably a first for me:
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01EYCI114/tvwb-20 (((***OOPS - this was pre-ground - good but I'll be giving half of this away to friends/family***)))

at this point, I don't think I'd have regretted getting the updated Zojirushi, other than the FOMO (fear of missing out). Been a while since I measured the water from the showerhead diffuser, but it was close to ideal iirc. The zoji thermal carafe is better IMO (quirky on the old, even better looking on the new). This morning the leftover coffee was room temp, while the zoji, I think, would've been at least 10 degrees F warmer, I think. Sometimes when I have to get up real early I'd make it the night before, I wonder how that'll work out with this.

SO FAR......2nd day, I took my 30oz insulated mug to work & it lasted until around 3pm when I realized it was only halfway gone. Seemed sweeter so less sugar next time, seemed richer....tasted good.

Last edited:
That's one of the secrets to making good coffee: using the right ratio of ground coffee to water. Fine.... so you don't like strong coffee.... the worst thing you can do is use less grounds, you overextract and start getting the undesirable bitter compounds. You're better off brewing strong coffee and diluting it after the fact with water to taste.

I've been using a french press travel mug from Planetary Designs (boot cut, no longer available :( ) for several years, during the business week. If anything, it's too efficient at holding heat, and just plain won't fit in any vehicle cup holder, otherwise, it's a great french press mug.

That's one of the secrets to making good coffee: using the right ratio of ground coffee to water. Fine.... so you don't like strong coffee.... the worst thing you can do is use less grounds, you overextract and start getting the undesirable bitter compounds. You're better off brewing strong coffee and diluting it after the fact with water to taste.

I've been using a french press travel mug from Planetary Designs (boot cut, no longer available :( ) for several years, during the business week. If anything, it's too efficient at holding heat, and just plain won't fit in any vehicle cup holder, otherwise, it's a great french press mug.

I hadn't even considered diluting it..... I got a smaller travel mug though, ~20oz instead of 30, and some condensed milk just to try (like the old grandparents liked to use).

If you want to put the purchase of this coffee maker in perspective, check out Hula Daddy coffee. One Technivorm Moccamaster or five pounds of the good stuff from Hula Daddy. Your choice.

Hula Daddy does have very good coffee. Back when I was making enough money that I could afford to burn it, I did buy some from them. Not really worth the price in my estimation, but still very, very good.

Back