Weber Q Experts...

Scott-ManThings

OK I know nothing about the Q. I mean, I've watched videos and know the main purpose and I see them selling on Craigslist and Marketplace for decent amounts but never rehabbed one.

This one popped up on Craigslist today for $40. I've seen some on Facebook listed for 150+ but not sure if they sell well.

I definitely don't want to get into replacement parts for this thing when its already at $40. You think in the current condition, it would clean up well? My goal would be to give it a good clean, get the rusty grates clean, make it sparkle and sell it for $150. Maybe put in $5 of paint. Think that's possible or should I just leave it be? Thanks!

I bought one similar to that a while back. The one I bought was in ok condition except the porcelain coated cast iron grate. It was rusty and the porcelain was flaking off. I tried cleaning up the grates but that was really labor intensive. I never could get all the porcelain off and when I would cook something bits of porcelain would stick in the surface of the food.

And I can't remember the exact cost but replacement grates are pretty pricey. So I would look at that grate carefully

I am working on one now. As far as the lid and bottom, they are easy to clean up with a grinder using a wire cup brush. It will readily polish back to shiny aluminum. The black plastic can be made to look nice with something like Mother's Back to Black or similar. Some have raised concerns about this stuff getting into food. I never use my trays for food prep, so to me that isn't an issue. I don't know if their recommended edible mineral oil recipe would also work.

Greg is right about the grates. If they are too far gone, the grill needs to be a give-away if you plan to make money flipping it. These are pretty pricey.

The other thing to be concerned about is that the handle/front back cradle frames are still secure to the grill. The last one I got "cheap" turned out to have one broken. I gave up on a fix and had to buy a new one. Also, the older versions of this grill like yours have small ceramic spacers that insulate the plastic cradle pieces (and also on the lid handle) from the high heat. These are apparently no longer available. If you get one that is tight but decide to disassemble (think hard about avoiding that) you need to be VERY CAREFUL because these pieces may be broken and you will need to be able to put them back together when you re-assemble.

I LOVE these grills, and they are a fun restore and GREAT grilling machines. If you haven't used one before, you ought to try it out before cleaning it up. You might get hooked!

Best wishes!

$150 is a real reach. Person can go buy one new for about that much. Why buy a used/refurbed one.

We do have a forum specifically for Q grills, BTW: https://tvwbb.com/forumdisplay.php?79-Weber-Q-Grills

As for its resale value.... I don't think it has any to make it worthwhile. My project Q200 was a free find and its cast iron grate was in acceptable shape needing only a new igniter, so I have been able to justify some accessories to go along with it (I found a stand for $30, for example). If I were to sell it, I'd expect interest at maybe $100-125 at the most with the stand.

I do like its performance, however, and I plan to keep it. If you're looking to flip, stick to the regular Webers.

I have rehabbed and resold several of them. I find a price much over $100 in you're really pushing it. The big thing with these is the cooking grate if that is in real good shape then it's worthwhile. But it's too easy to find one for $50 and do a little cleaning rather than pay somebody $150 for a cleaned up one

Yeah I'm not sure you could pay more than 50 bucks for a Q and expect much profit on a flip? On the one I bought i ended up losing money when I sold it because I had to purchase the new grates.

Back