18.5” WSM Mods and Gadgets - Oldie but Now a Goodie

Jerry We

TVWBB Fan
Long time lurker but figured it was time I start posting. I’ve had my 18.5” WSM for about 7 years now but just recently started doing some mods. Following is a list of the mods and essential (IMO) gadgets I’ve added:

-BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 temperature controller
-2 BBQ Guru eyelet kits for temperature probes
-Thermapen Mk4 instant read thermometer
-ThermoWorks Smoke wireless alarm thermometer
-Unknown BBQ lid hinge
-3” locking wheels from Menards
-Cajun Bandit stainless door
-Cajun Bandit stainless coal ring but having trouble with it interfering with my DigiQ DX2 (see separate post asking for help).
-Weber probe grommet – I’ve had that for months and just got the nerve to install it today. -Ended up being one of the easiest mods I’ve done taking less than 10 minutes. I attached a picture of the tools I used. I’ve had the step bit for a long time but just saw a similar one at Menards for $20.

I primarily smoke BB ribs and chicken with an occasional brisket. Hope to start posting more going forward and hope the pictures work.

Update - Sorry but the pictures didn't work so I deleted the URL. Will try to figure it out sometime when I have spare time.

Last edited:
Very nice... I’m trying to decide whether to get a DigiQ DX2 or an Auber PID controller for my new 18.5” WSM. Wanted to break her in with a 3 pack of Costco baby backs this weekend but unfortunately it’ll be raining here in the Northeast for the next 5 days. :(

Back