Thread: Has anyone ever thought about wooden flip up tables based on the newer design?

TVWBB Member

Has anyone ever thought about wooden flip up tables based on the newer design?

Has anyone ever thought of building some wooden flip up tables based on the newer flip up Thermoset design? Meaning using the bracket and building a wooden top? Nothing against the practicality and simplicity of the Thermoset tables but I love the optics of the old 1000-4000 tables. However these grills are getting rare and often the mechanism is missing or broken.
    Maybe it is stupid idea and a waste of time. But this would be purely for a grill for my own pleasure. ;-)
    Genesis Gold C, 22" Kettle and 2 x Genesis Silver B under restoration.

Yes, I have thought a lot about it. I have only taken the time to do some quick measuring, but it looks to me like it could be done. You probably will have to do some carpentry to make an adapter that puts the tray in the right place. If you plan to use the old style trays on the top you will either have to slightly shorten the slats or come up with a modification to the bolts that hold the short extension bars. They get in the way of the old style trays that drop in rather than rest on top like the new thermoset ones. This much I do know from trying it out.
    Genesis 330-SE Genesis Silver C Q3200 Q1200 Performer 1 green kettle. Projects: Genesis Skyline 4000 one redhead and one maroon Genesis 1000 Summit 650.

Are you guys talking about stealing the brackets from a Silver B table and adapting it to the wood slats? Or a totally new bracket?

I think it would be great if someone simply made the slide bar and plastic clip for the 1000's for a decent price. A whole lot of the early Genesis 1000-5000's don't have the slide bar and I think it was a slick addition to the lineup later on in that generation.
    Last edited by Bruce; 05-17-2018 at 11:16 AM.
    Grills and guns are a lot alike. While one would usually suffice and you can only use one a time, each grill/gun is better in certain situations.

TVWBB Member
    I am thinking of taking the later Genesis frame with the Thermaset tables (Silver/Gold) and using the brackets but a wood table tops instead of the Thermaset table tops. At least in our area there seem to be a lot more later generation Genesis than early 1000 to 4000. And the newer bracket system is more convenient. Just not as nice a wood table tops.
    Got the idea from people building wooden tables for the Performer:
    http://weberkettleclub.com/wp-conten...4/03/Side4.jpg
    Genesis Gold C, 22" Kettle and 2 x Genesis Silver B under restoration.

I have about half and half probably. For a while there, I was knee deep in 1000's but my later pickups seem to have gone the silver route B route.
    Grills and guns are a lot alike. While one would usually suffice and you can only use one a time, each grill/gun is better in certain situations.