Has anyone ever thought about wooden flip up tables based on the newer design?

Stefan H

TVWBB Guru
Has anyone ever thought of building some wooden flip up tables based on the newer flip up Thermoset design? Meaning using the bracket and building a wooden top? Nothing against the practicality and simplicity of the Thermoset tables but I love the optics of the old 1000-4000 tables. However these grills are getting rare and often the mechanism is missing or broken.
Maybe it is stupid idea and a waste of time. But this would be purely for a grill for my own pleasure. ;-)

Yes, I have thought a lot about it. I have only taken the time to do some quick measuring, but it looks to me like it could be done. You probably will have to do some carpentry to make an adapter that puts the tray in the right place. If you plan to use the old style trays on the top you will either have to slightly shorten the slats or come up with a modification to the bolts that hold the short extension bars. They get in the way of the old style trays that drop in rather than rest on top like the new thermoset ones. This much I do know from trying it out.

Are you guys talking about stealing the brackets from a Silver B table and adapting it to the wood slats? Or a totally new bracket?

I think it would be great if someone simply made the slide bar and plastic clip for the 1000's for a decent price. A whole lot of the early Genesis 1000-5000's don't have the slide bar and I think it was a slick addition to the lineup later on in that generation.

Last edited:
I am thinking of taking the later Genesis frame with the Thermaset tables (Silver/Gold) and using the brackets but a wood table tops instead of the Thermaset table tops. At least in our area there seem to be a lot more later generation Genesis than early 1000 to 4000. And the newer bracket system is more convenient. Just not as nice a wood table tops.
Got the idea from people building wooden tables for the Performer:
http://weberkettleclub.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/Side4.jpg

I have about half and half probably. For a while there, I was knee deep in 1000's but my later pickups seem to have gone the silver route B route.

New to the board, but have been reading around a lot!

So, has anyone ever "transformed" a Sliver B to have wood shelves? I've been thinking about doing just that. I do a good bit of wood working as a hobby, so I think I would be able to make the parts no problem. I'll start a new thread for my project.

Yah, it shouldn't be a hard job. It might not allow direct transfer of all the parts from a 1000 to a silver B, but it should be perfectly doable. I have thought about it, but the wood is a lot more work than cleaning up a set of Thermoset tables so I won't do it for a rehab/flip grill. It might be a fun project for a personal grill however.

Please start a thread for your project. Make sure you include some "Before" photos to start with. I will be looking forward to where you take this and you will probably find plenty of suggestions and help from this forum if you need it.

I have actually just done two tables out of oak boards. I re-used the existing metal bracket and replaced the Thermoset piece with wood. Have to take some photos when I am back home.
It is not difficult if you familiar with wood working and have the tools.

Here are the tables. I am still working on the left side shelf and the bottom shelf.
Lxxhxxo.jpg

JTV1hw1.jpg

Ummmm, somebody is into word working. That thing looks like it is going to wind up being a total custom job.

Install an exhaust fan on that thing and your wife would let you put that in the kitchen.

Love that custom wood working, Stefan! That is some excellent workmanship. Even my wife might allow that one in the kitchen;).

Keep us posted with updates as you are able. So, am I right to assume that is a Silver frame where you kept the metal swing up hinges but attached them to your classy woodwork?

Very nice! This is very similar to what I was thinking of doing. Good to see it is possible. I'll look forward to seeing your progress. I'll share mine as it comes along. I've been taking lots of pics and will make a post on my project shortly.

You may have problems with using solid wood. Water will sit on top rather than drain through slats. Also on the flip up sides solid wood likes to warp badly with changes in temp and moisture. Been there tried that :D looks somewhat cool. The side wings remind me of the "sail panels" on an Airbus 319/320 family plane

I agree with Larry that the solid wood might tend to warp and crack if it is exposed to too much sun and moisture. I suppose keeping it covered and dry will help as well as using a finish designed for outside use such as Spar.

I guess we have see how they hold up. I give it a try and it was not that difficult and that expensive to build. The wood is solid red oak. Stained with wood stain and then coated with 3 layers of oil based Spar Urethane. It should be able to withstand moisture and UV for some time.

Spar seems like a great solution. However, how does it stand up to heat? What if you were to put something relatively hot on there?

Yah, it shouldn't be a hard job. It might not allow direct transfer of all the parts from a 1000 to a silver B, but it should be perfectly doable. I have thought about it, but the wood is a lot more work than cleaning up a set of Thermoset tables so I won't do it for a rehab/flip grill. It might be a fun project for a personal grill however.

On my cleaned and working Genesis Silver B the thermoset tables seem to attract water and oil. It's almost like it's being sucked into the grain of the table.

I gave them a really good scrub when I restored the grill. They don't seem to have a sealed surface now. Any advice or suggestions on that?

I agree with Larry that the solid wood might tend to warp and crack if it is exposed to too much sun and moisture. I suppose keeping it covered and dry will help as well as using a finish designed for outside use such as Spar.

I've been thinking the wood slats/wood tables really need to be vacuum impregnated. You can pretty much make the wood behave like plastic. I'm going to create some kind of redneck vacuum rig for impregnating the slats on my 2000.

On my cleaned and working Genesis Silver B the thermoset tables seem to attract water and oil. It's almost like it's being sucked into the grain of the table.

I gave them a really good scrub when I restored the grill. They don't seem to have a sealed surface now. Any advice or suggestions on that?

I would try a good protectant. I use 303 Aerospace protectant on all my rehabs. I don't know how it does long term, but it does a good job of restoring the luster of the shelves. You would probably want to re-apply it ever so often.

Back