wallmart western lump

Glenn Fleming

TVWBB Fan
sup guys:
wallmart has a 30lbbag of western brand lump special buy for 9.88 tan bag green lettering.. used it yesterday on some spare ribs was suprised how well it worked..no ash at all.. grabbed another bag today!! glenn in hamburg NY

Thought I'd bump this thread.
Some guys over on the Kamado Guru forum have been buying this and most seem to really like it, to the tune of major stocking up of the stuff.
I haven't tried it yet, but they've been getting it at WM for $7.88, or less, per 30 lb. bag.
It appears to be made from mesquite wood in Mexico.
Might be worth a try.
edit, if you want to check inventory with brickseek the sku is 375025590

83c4e3b3-4666-4d0c-9337-273a4c8a4cbe_1.2844349b44452c3a8e5c3f97768b8262.png

Last edited:
Thanks Bob, I've never really have tried lump and have been wanting to get a bag to try. 30 pounds for less than $8.00 isn't much of a risk. My local WM has some per Brickseek, so as soon as my Canadian bacon is done I'm going to go pick up a bag.

My closest WM shows 260 bags in stock at $7.88.
Only one has it for $5, 13 miles away, or about 2 gallons of gas worth round trip. I'll wait or pay the going price.

Barb got two bags of the western. With the charcoal ban on for over a month my charcoal shed was still full. Then I bought the platypus (platinum) and that came with two bags of Kingsford professional
which is stored in the laundry room. Now two 30 pound bags of lump shoved into the last possible spot in the garage. I'm done, 28 bags of briquets and two large bags of lump. You won't see my mug at HD on labor day.:p

That nearby store that had them for $5/bag had a stack of them outside the store and another smaller display inside the lawn & garden section.

I bought 3 bags.

Got some but haven't had a chance to try it yet. I haven't cooked out side in a couple of weeks except for using the NG E320 for an oven which works great. Just to d**n hot, 108 at 6pm isn't going to work, next week is supposed to be in the mid eighties hopefully.

I tried it and it smoked really bad, so much so I ran to the store and bought a different brand. Maybe I got a bad bag or something. I'll throw a couple of pieces of the Western charcoal to mix in what I usually use but so far not a fan of it.

Thanks for the input John, now I'm leery, I'll only get one bag to try.
I've read that it can be a bit sparky at light up, but most say it settles down and burns well.

Picked some up at the local Wally's last week. Did a test with a couple of top sirloins.

It does "spark" quite a bit in the chimney lighting off. That may be of concern depending on wind and fire conditions. We've been at "High" for most the summer. But I digress.

I don't think it sparks any more or less than the "Cowboy" brand of lump.

Less smoke from the lump than from KBB as far as I could tell.

Sparks settled down when I dumped the lite coals in the kettle.

YMMV

I've had sparks from a chimney of lump light a bag of wood chunks I had sitting about 4 feet from the grill on fire one time. Very scary.

I dropped by mine today, still $7.88, and still 5 full pallets on the high shelf. Brickseek shows 237 bags at this store.
Two pallets on the floor, and what a mess, many of the bags are ripping open and spilling out.
I predict a lower price soon.

That looks like just bad handling to me. Cheap paper might be contributing, but bad handling.

I've got a pic somewhere around here of a 4' tall fountain of sparks coming out of a chimney full of natural lump (don't recall the brand at the moment.) Not something I want to repeat either.

Don't recall seeing this product yet, but as for sparking, I ruined a pair of britches one time with sparking charcoal! Had to get my wife to darn up the holes. :eek:

EDIT: It's here, and the price is 7.88. Might better wear welding clothes if I try it though. :p

Last edited:

Back